Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Gilson questions

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1298 times

Old 01-18-2009, 05:18:13 PM
Subscriber

Default Gilson questions

I've just recently gotten and engine back that I sold some years ago when I got out of the hobby for health reasons...I have a couple of questions that I never did have answered when I owned it before...first, it is a Gilson 1 1/2 hp and the serial/model plate shows it as a JS (I'm sure that's for Johnny on the spot).. 1 1/2 hp and the number is 1775...can anyone date the serial # 1775 for me? It's a Port Washington engine.

In the pictures you can see the mixer...it has 2 openings in it across from each other..it was that way when I had it before..It seems I used to have to wrap a rag around those openings to get it started and slowly open it up as if it were too cold to run on full air when first starting...Is this the type of mixer that should have some sort of shutter or half round shield to block off the air when starting cold? I have an International that has a "shutter"...I just don't want to hassle with a rag or something to block the opening.

Finally, there is a picture of the rod cap...it has a hole that appears to be non threaded but there is no grease cup on the rod (might hit the shield anyway but I'm not sure of that)...did they have some fitting like a zirk or was there supposed to be a grease cup?

When I originally got it at the Tulare swap meet, quite a few years ago, the man I got it from said the skids and set up for the battery box are patterned after the original factory skid and the cart had been custom made to transport it..the engine and skid just lift off. The flash makes the deep red look pink (may have to give it to the wife if it turns pink...she's a cancer survivor and pink is her favorite color...also, just a note...in the thread that talked of the hobby becoming a disease or obsession...I added one picture to show what has happened to the "one engine I want to get just to remind me what the hobby was like"..(6 in the garage now and one out for some work)..here we go again.

By the way...sometimes the threads talk of how people get it "stuck to them" and I'm sure we all have from time to time...I'd like to thank the guy (he will remain anonymous) that offered the engine back to me at a very fair deal and didn't get greedy...nice guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gilson 009.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	46869   Click image for larger version

Name:	gilson 004.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	46870   Click image for larger version

Name:	gilson 007.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	46871   Click image for larger version

Name:	gilson 011.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	46872  

Last edited by R. Kern; 01-18-2009 at 05:25:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2009, 08:40:19 PM
Registered

Default Re: Gilson questions

Isn't there supposed to be a spring steel band that fits in the recessed area where the holes are like a Novo carb? It goes about 2/3rds of the way around and you can rotate it to cover the holes to choke it.
Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Brock For This Post:
Old 01-18-2009, 08:42:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,165 Times in 1,823 Posts

I've just recently gotten and engine back that I sold some years ago when I got out of the hobby for health reasons...I have a couple of questions that I never did have answered when I owned it before...first, it is a Gilson 1 1/2 hp and the serial/model plate shows it as a JS (I'm sure that's for Johnny on the spot).. 1 1/2 hp and the number is 1775...can anyone date the serial # 1775 for me? It's a Port Washington engine.

Yes bob the type "JS" on the name tag stands for "Johnny-On-The Spot" and your little Gilson was built in either 1913 or 1914 in Port Washington.

In the pictures you can see the mixer...it has 2 openings in it across from each other..it was that way when I had it before..It seems I used to have to wrap a rag around those openings to get it started and slowly open it up as if it were too cold to run on full air when first starting...Is this the type of mixer that should have some sort of shutter or half round shield to block off the air when starting cold? I have an International that has a "shutter"...I just don't want to hassle with a rag or something to block the opening.
The mixer should have a shutter to choke the engine, but in looking at the pictures it looks like the shutter is on the mixer. Perhaps it is sized in the fully openned position.

Finally, there is a picture of the rod cap...it has a hole that appears to be non threaded but there is no grease cup on the rod (might hit the shield anyway but I'm not sure of that)...did they have some fitting like a zirk or was there supposed to be a grease cup?
Normally the connecting rod on a Johnny-On-The-Spot is hollow and the drip oiler allows oil inside the grove, oiling both ends, therefore no grease cup or zerk required. Hope this is of assistance, Denis Rouleau
The Following User Says Thank You to Denis Rouleau For This Post:
Old 01-18-2009, 08:51:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,165 Times in 1,823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Brock View Post
Isn't there supposed to be a spring steel band that fits in the recessed area where the holes are like a Novo carb? It goes about 2/3rds of the way around and you can rotate it to cover the holes to choke it. Bill
Here is a picture of 2 Johnny-On-The-Spot carbs/mixers. The one on the left had its shutter missing so a brass one was made. On the right is one with its original cast iron shutter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	g-gjots1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	46890  
Old 01-18-2009, 10:46:51 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Rouleau View Post

Yes bob the type "JS" on the name tag stands for "Johnny-On-The Spot" and your little Gilson was built in either 1913 or 1914 in Port Washington.

The mixer should have a shutter to choke the engine, but in looking at the pictures it looks like the shutter is on the mixer. Perhaps it is sized in the fully openned position.

Normally the connecting rod on a Johnny-On-The-Spot is hollow and the drip oiler allows oil inside the grove, oiling both ends, therefore no grease cup or zerk required. Hope this is of assistance, Denis Rouleau
The rod does have a slot in the top half and I wondered if that wasn't the answer to lubricating the rod bearing. The hole in the cap sort of threw me and I'll pursue the situation further..think I'll pull the cap and gently probe the slot to make sure the rod bearing is getting oiled and that there is no blockage...the engine was not run much when I had it and I am not sure but probably not much when the other fellow had it, if at all...there appears to be "wetness" around the bearing area on either side so I assume (terrible word) it is getting lubrication..

I'll look more closely at the mixer and see if the "shutter" is, in fact, in place...just took a quick look and it reminded me of the situation when I used to own it and remembered using something to choke the holes when starting...If it has the shutter frozen in place, I'll do a little very easy brass hammer tapping and some Kroil to see if it will come loose. I have the same check valve your pictures show and took that all apart to clean it and make sure the gas flowed properly...the man that had it said that when he did try to run it the engine acted like the check valve might be sticking...I noticed that there is no venting for the gas tank and with the lid screwed on tight, there is a vacuum effect and it's hard to suck fuel through the check valve...when I just loosened gas tank cap a turn or so, the gas was easy to suck into the tubes and the check valve held well...Again, thanks for everything..lots of help .

Last edited by R. Kern; 01-18-2009 at 10:52:27 PM.