Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Argon / CO2 cylinder refills

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 18922 times

Old 03-11-2009, 01:32:56 AM
Registered

Default Argon / CO2 cylinder refills

Hi,

I have just purchased a second hand MIG welder that included a tank.

The tank is about 3' tall and has the following stampings:

TC 3AAM154 SPUN REE89.2 ML
DOT-3AA2015 H408536 12A03+*

There is also a Praxair adhesive sticker on the side saying its a Argon / CO2 mix.

Can I take this to any gas supplier for a refill or do I have to find a Praxair distributor? How do I tell if this is an owned bottle or somebody's rental I ended up with. I have heard if its the latter case, they will seize it.

Thanks,
Tim
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2009, 02:20:58 AM

Thanked 20,682 Times in 5,985 Posts
Default Re: cylinder refills

Praxair is still under its own ownership......remarkably!

If you can prove ownership of that tank it might not make any difference who fills it for you.
I know Airgas requires a signed "affidavit of ownership" and they will fill it.
Then again........a lot depends on who's who and where's where.......
Old 03-11-2009, 03:27:19 AM
Registered

Thanks,

I made a mistake in my post. The sticker on the cylinder says AirGas not Praxair. Have a list of local welding suppliers in front of me now, will just have to call around and see what they say I guess.

Tim
Old 03-11-2009, 08:30:27 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts

Around here, Bottles that are customer owned have SOLD stamped on them. This is a reality late occurance, the last 10 or 15 years, so you can tell if it is an owned bottle. I have two bottles, one argon and one the company called "GPR", that I have had long enough to not be stamped but I also have the paper work on when I bought them. It may be a leased bottle which the company will take back. The worst that will happen is you will need to lease or buy a bottle.

Kent
Old 03-12-2009, 07:10:03 PM
Registered

Default Re: Argon / CO2 cylinder refills

Airgs, sorry to say you are screwed. I hate them with a passion. If you have a good local welding supply you might be able to have it filed.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:03:38 PM
Registered

Hi all,

Found a AirGas distributor within 20 miles of me. Took them the empty cylinder and got a full one without any problems. $47 when all was said and done.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 03-13-2009, 09:16:51 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts

What I would like to know is: Why gas distributor got easier to deal with? At one time, They acted like you had a gun and were trying to rob them if you wanted a small cylinder of gas for a home or farm shop. I am talking the was it was in the 60's, 70's and early 80's. At one time you could not buy a bottle. The worked around that with a "Lifetime Lease" on which Dad got screwed out of an oxygen bottle because he was working road construction at the time and the company thru which the lifetime lease was with merged with another company. My mother not understanding the letter, filed it for Dad to look at when he was home for the winter. When Dad got home for the winter and found the letter the "Grace Time" had run out on making the bottle legal. Later Dad got an obnoxious phone call for the company saying if he DID NOT BRING THE BOTTLE IN, THEY WERE SENDING THE SHERIFF. Dad told them they had better bring more help that the Sheriff and when they got here they could have the Oxygen bottle back with the quart of oil that he was going to put in it. The caller said that would ruin the bottle. Dad told them HE WAS AWARE OF THAT! Why do you think I was putting the oil in the bottle. We never heard anything else from the company. I think the bottle went to the scrap yard.
Did the Federal Laws change on gas cylinders or did the companies finally find out what Customer service was?

Kent
Old 03-13-2009, 01:56:13 PM

Thanked 20,682 Times in 5,985 Posts

Airgas bought the company we had dealt with "forever".......I GUESS we sell more gas on this particular route than anyone else........anyway I have found the new distributor even easier to work with than our old company. The folks there are wonderful.......and they provided me with the "affidavit of ownership" for folks who through time and/or carelessness can't prove what they have.
You shouldn't blame an entire corporation because you got stuck dealing with a........well.......you know.......