Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron Live auctions and estate sales of engines, tractors, and old iron machinery. Upcoming auctions and auction results.

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron

Stealing at Auction Sales

this thread has 69 replies and has been viewed 26782 times

Old 03-15-2009, 11:08:56 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,844 Times in 1,726 Posts
Default Stealing at Auction Sales

I was at a farm estate auction yesterday and I saw two people stealing stuff in plain sight. There were two guys looking at a couple of those little hats the service station attendants used to wear years ago. One was in pretty bad shape and one was real nice. The guy looking at the nice one rolled it up real small and stuffed it in his pocket! I also saw a guy pocketing some old spark plugs. I ended up getting the box of plugs and the guy had the nerve to come up to me and ask if he could buy some of the plugs for his collection! I should have asked him if he wanted them for the collection in his pocket, but I just said "no" and ignored him. He walked away muttering something about running the price up if he had known that. He was a real idiot and his eyes were drilling holes through me until the end of the sale.
I'm always leery of confronting these jerks and really don't know if telling the auctioneer would do any good. Sometimes it's hard to prove. Just wondering what any of you guys would do in these situations.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2009, 11:51:14 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,891 Times in 773 Posts
Default Re: Stealing at Auction Sales

I have become brave enough in my old age that I would have asked him in a real loud voice if that hat was his that he is putting in his pocket. I have no time for thieves. You should have said something. If you don't then you are pretty much helping the thief get away with it. Sorry if that offends you.

If the other guy wanted a spark plug so bad, I wonder why he just didn't steel it like he did the others?
Old 03-15-2009, 11:57:42 AM
Subscriber

Mike

Politely invite them on a "One Way Fishing Trip" Thieves are right up there with child molesters, dog kickers and wife beaters. I have no use for any of them.

Jim
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jim Tremble For This Post:
Old 03-15-2009, 12:01:02 PM
Registered

Speak up! VERY publicly. Let everyone know what you've seen. (Only if you are sure you saw what you saw) I've done this many times. The actioneer has been very greatful for this and has resulted in some "perks" for me.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shanelc50 For This Post:
Old 03-15-2009, 12:18:55 PM
Sponsor

If you don't say anything then you are on the same level as the thief, I always let the auction staff know what is going on. The items in his pocket are usually very desirable, and he/she knows that.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:46:35 PM
Registered

I was at a Aumann Auction sale a few years back, someone was stealing radiator caps off tractors, Kurt told everyone to watch for the perpitrater, he will be turned over to the sheriff's dept.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:50:46 PM
Registered

Like old tractors said, you should have made it known to him and others what he is doing in a loud voice. He needs caught or guess what he will be doing again at the next auction, the same thing. Who knows how long he has been stealing things
The Following User Says Thank You to CubCadet107 For This Post:
Old 03-15-2009, 01:20:20 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomer Buehring View Post
If you don't say anything then you are on the same level as the thief, I always let the auction staff know what is going on. The items in his pocket are usually very desirable, and he/she knows that.
On the same level as the thief? That comment is insulting! I agree with you on letting the staff know. But what if he is a little guy and the thief is 6' 3" and 240 pounds like me. Is getting hurt for a spark plug or hat worth it. The auction did not hire him to do security.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:27:31 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Stealing at Auction Sales

You should have ratted the ba---rds out. Not only did they rip off the owner, they ripped YOU off as well. After all, you bought the container they ripped the plugs off of. If they were indeed valuable, then you are the loser as well, as you bought the box full didn't you? I never let a theif get away with ripping someone off. Theives hurt everyone at the auction. I can only hope that the hat the other guy ripped off had cooties in it, and that the theif gets a healthy dose of lice while he is wearing his ill gotten gains.
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 03-15-2009, 08:37:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,844 Times in 1,726 Posts

That settles it. I will never not say anything again. The spark plugs weren't a big deal. I dug through the box completely early on and there weren't any high dollar plugs in there. I mainly bought the box for an antique bipolar motor that was in there. The plugs were a bonus. They were mostly 3X Champions for Model A Fords and all used. I take offense to anyone saying I am on the same level as the thief by not confronting them! That's ridiculous! What if he figures out what vehicle is mine and decides to vandalize it in some way or something like that? There's no way in Hell I'm taking that chance! After all, I'm trying to figure out a good way to deal with these jackasses by starting this thread.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Junkologist For This Post:
Old 03-15-2009, 08:58:00 PM
Registered

This is a little off the topic but here goes .I love whatching people at auctions when there is something of value they will hide it in a box of junk . then go take it out of the box and run the bid up on them and see them throw a fit when its not there . thats priceless
Old 03-15-2009, 09:11:02 PM
Registered

Remain anonomous but definitely tell the auctioneer as he has jurisdiction over all the material second only to the owner if present. If you let these cruds get by with it, they will keep on doing their thiefery at the next auction. Once they're caught, they will be refused from any bidding under that particular auctioneers auctions. I personally know a man who's NOT A FRIEND who steals in another way. He will find a good small item and carefully put it into a box of junk items making sure to conceal it. He'll win that auction for peanuts and be the receiptiant of a valuable item. He always makes sure that he checks every box lot before hiding it in one of them. He's quite wealthy but dresses like a bum so people will think he's there just to acquire basic items for his personal needs. He's slick but all of us that know him have witnessed his slight of hand manuevers.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:41:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,713 Times in 845 Posts

Some of you folks kinda jumped all over Junkologist in a way that wasn't called for.

I'm not saying he should have stood by and said nothing, nor am I saying that he should have called the thief on his actions. It was a spur of the moment decision he made. He's looking for imput, not being referred to as being as bad as the thief himself.

My personal opinion is that the auctioneer, or an assistant, should have been informed and the perp pointed out. Let the auction company do what they deem right at the time.

JMHO.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MoRo For This Post:
Old 03-15-2009, 10:54:37 PM
Registered

I have seen items carried off while the auctioneer was trying to make is 15cents on the dollar...gets tied up for money and leaves everything else open...family or friends of family should watch auctioneer and all participants of all auctions.....
Old 03-16-2009, 08:46:16 AM
Registered

I agree with MoRo "Some of you folks kinda jumped all over Junkologist in a way that wasn't called for."

I am curious how many of you would actually have said anything? How much is just talk, while hiding behind your computer in your "safe" little house, and life insulting Junkologist!

Way to go, what a great way to help him out! Next time you get the urge to insult someone, turn off your computer first!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Danny J For This Post:
Old 03-16-2009, 09:13:03 AM
Registered

agreed danny give him a break there could have been others watching to not easy to think of things that spurr of the moment but to think they call themselves collectors puthetic but how many people would say something becides jest wanting to forget them A**esand leaving with there thoughts
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis For This Post:
Old 03-16-2009, 11:39:24 AM
Registered

I agree with MoRo and danny j
The Following User Says Thank You to James L Johnson For This Post:
Old 03-16-2009, 12:48:02 PM
Subscriber

Hey Mike- You did okay. You were encountering a situation that was strange to you. You weren't sure how to react but you didn't do anything rash or stupid but have tried to learn about it.

Those guys were brazen enough that they have done this before and may have had a pal or two around that you never saw.

You were not in charge of auction security and may have been alone. That's not a good position to be in when dealing with crooks.

My hard and fast rule for this would be that there are no hard and fast rules.

If you tell the auctioneer after the fact, you are basically offering your testimony to witnessing of a crime. The you are subject to how the auctioneer handles things.

If you confront the perp's alone, better be loud to bring other bystanders into it, but be prepared for a scene and to not get much help. A lot of guys who'll pound their chest in the absence of trouble will step back and watch you for their entertainment when the going gets tough.

It would be nice to have a big red "S" on your chest and slap the guys around so the mayor gives you a big key to the city (like every guy sitting behind their computer thinks he could) but things happen fast in the real world and you went to an auction to have some fun, not to see if you could pass police training field exercise.

Next time may never happen and it won't be the same. Take 'em one at a time. Each incident will have its own unique circumstances. Most of all, don't sweat it. You're one of the good guys!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KidDynamo For This Post:
Old 03-16-2009, 02:03:42 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Red face Re: Stealing at Auction Sales

My opinion is that the theft should be reported. To make a personal confrontation is to make problems for yourself. Just tell the auctioneer, and let him handle the details.

I also agree with the posts made by MORO and Danny, Making personal attacks here is not what the Stak is about. We are here to share info and advice. Each incedent must be handled on the situation itself. A theif that rips someone off goes against the grain of society, to make a personal confrontation of that incedent, is not in the beat interests of anyone involved.

To Junkologist, if my earlier post offended you, I make a personal apology, I certainly did not intend to offend. The last sentence in that post was meant for the theives themselves, certainly not for you. The way your initial post was written, I was under the impression that you were after the plugs in the box, not other contents. 'When you assume...' Well you know the rest of that one. Please DO say something! If this thread had never surfaced, people wouldn't really know what goes on out there in the real world. Thank you junkologist for sharing your concerns, I hope at least some of the information helps you make decisions in the future.

Andrew
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 03-16-2009, 06:04:16 PM
Registered

It's interesting at one particular auction there was a box stuffer, I did not know him personally but asked who he was. I was informed that he was a VERY BIG collector of ****** stuff. This auction took place in ??????
I know this man is on STAKS.
He got what he wanted, at least the piece that I saw, by putting it in a box of JUNK.
I am very glad that I didn't attempt to call him out in front of everyone. Sometimes it is proper to know who you deal with, if the auction persons won't do anything there may be a reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!