Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron Live auctions and estate sales of engines, tractors, and old iron machinery. Upcoming auctions and auction results.

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron

Stealing at Auction Sales

this thread has 69 replies and has been viewed 26780 times

Old 01-14-2014, 12:30:17 AM
Registered

Default Re: Stealing at Auction Sales

This is a very interesting subject. Lewis has gone to an auction each week (average) since 1980 when he retired from the usmc, At first he would just watch and LEARN how they did it and after 4 or 5 years you KNOW the ones that do it and the very best way to get their goat is to
make sure they do NOT win the bid on the JUNK box they have stuffed the item in or you DROP it on them. THAT is the real secret, LEARN how to DROP KICK the item on the stuffer. Make them pay a fair price for the stuffed item. Always know the style of the person doing the auction, some will help you DROP the stuffer.

The one thing he hates the most is the AUCTION company obtaining a item for .10 on the $. In most cases they already have it sold to someone not at the auction for a huge profit.

He feels sorry for the new comers to the AUCTION world but as he did, you only learn by going to the auction. EXPERIENCE.

Good luck with your bidding and auctions everyone. LandL
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2014, 07:59:02 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,639 Times in 7,480 Posts

My uncle and I were at an auction 30 years ago. It was a good old-iron auction. There were a few small pails of odds & ends including a couple that had a few nice brass pieces - priming cups, etc.
There was a chap there and my uncle said to watch him. He would go through those pails and try and get the better pieces buried to the bottom. My uncle, being a jokester, would go over and sift through them and get them all back to the top!
This went on several times and was sort of fun. The chap involved is still around. He is without doubt and honest man and would never have considered pocketing these items; but was trying to hedge his odds of ending up with them. In the end, he got outbid anyway. We couldn't tell whether the good stuff was on top or buried by then.
Just light fun at the auction!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 01-17-2014, 10:41:10 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,051 Times in 3,103 Posts

Another stunt some will pull at sales that really gets to me is the SOBs that tamper with the wiring on tractor and or car engines so they wont start when put on the block. They seldom end up buying said item but think they can get things for next to nothing. That's one reason I don't sell on consignment any more. I had a nice Pontiac to sell one time and didn't keep a close enough watch on it and some A## pulled the ign wires and run the battery down so it wouldn't run. Needless to say I bought it back and had to fix it to drive it home. I let a family member have it for what I had in it, which was another mistake , but that's another story. A lot of times they will change the plug wires around so it won't start. F.J.W.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:53:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,865 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkologist View Post
I was at a farm estate auction yesterday and I saw two people stealing stuff in plain sight. There were two guys looking at a couple of those little hats the service station attendants used to wear years ago. One was in pretty bad shape and one was real nice. The guy looking at the nice one rolled it up real small and stuffed it in his pocket! I also saw a guy pocketing some old spark plugs. but I just said "no" and ignored I ended up getting the box of plugs and the guy had the nerve to come up to me and ask if he could buy some of the plugs for his collection! I should have asked him if he wanted them for the collection in his pocket, him. He walked away muttering something about running the price up if he had known that. He was a real idiot and his eyes were drilling holes through me until the end of the sale.
I'm always leery of confronting these jerks and really don't know if telling the auctioneer would do any good. Sometimes it's hard to prove. Just wondering what any of you guys would do in these situations.
I hate seeing this sort of thing as I am sure you do. Had I won the box of plugs, when asked that question, I would have, politely but loud and firmly, asked him to give me the plugs in his pocket that belong in my box and then perhaps we can talk. Then the answer is still no and it's time to report him to the auctioneer or consignor.

Mike, I imagine the next thief you catch at an auction will not be so lucky!

Gil
Old 01-19-2014, 03:34:21 PM
Registered

Lately the ones to watch at an auction are the ones running it. Biggest offender is the absent bidder, you are bidding against some one on the phone. How do you know if there is even anyone on the phone, could be just some auction employee with a dead phone to his ear. If you want to bid against a phantom bidder go ahead, not me.
The Following User Says Thank You to John C Walker For This Post:
Old 01-19-2014, 08:43:44 PM
Registered

John, You hit the nail on the head! The larger the auction house the more ways they have to get into your pocket. If Lewis can not put an eye on the bidder, he moves on to the next item.

Another thing is you always hear " You have no friends at the Auction", well you can bet he has friends and never bids against any of them and in turn they do not bid against him on the tractors.

God Bless to all

Linda and Lewis
Old 02-01-2014, 08:56:09 AM
Registered

We used to have an old auctioneer that was known to pull bids off fence posts before cell phones. When he died, you wouldn't believe the stuff out at is farm that didn't sell at auction. Crooks wear many hats! I like the guys that hide rare items at a dead mans auction too, I watch that stuff closely to keep stealing down. Most of the time the family has no clue what things are really worth
The Following User Says Thank You to Stomper For This Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 11:50:57 PM
Subscriber

Reading the posts I remembered 10 years ago at a auction, they had 6 wagons with small stuff.I was there Early Cking things over. I noticed a steam whistle in a box.Later when I came around again the whistle was gone.So I looked around and here it was in the bottom of another box.So I put it back on top of the box it was in.So the Auction started and when they got to that wagon. The Whistle was gone.So looked around and here it was at the bottom of another box. I knew the fellows helping out with the auction so motioned one of the guys and told him what happened. He went over picked the box up turned away from the crowd and took the whistle out and held it under his coat.Then told the auctioneer to sell the box. It went for 5.00 and when I seen who bought it I knew the Guy.When he took the things out of the box and no whistle He really go mad..Now they auctioned the Whistle off and it went for 125.00.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ted Knack For This Post:
Old 02-13-2014, 03:02:07 PM
Registered

I DID shout up when I saw an item stolen off a stall.

The thief was very adept at shuffling stuff from one pocket to another but eventually the item was found, and the stall owner was very grateful to me !

But later that day I got locked in a Porta-loo when someone put a pin thru the outside catch. I wonder who did that ?????
Old 02-14-2014, 03:16:12 AM
Registered

So many different threads running through this post. Well I guess first off, my view is theft is theft. It makes no difference if its someone stealing from the tables or a crooked Auctioneer Like Hillpiper taking bids from no where. I have seen people stealing or "seeding" boxes of worthless stuff with valuable things. Most often it is parts of tools sets to make them look like they are missing items to drive the price down. Years ago there was an old man that an Auction buddy and me caught "seeding". We removed items from the boxes and placed them back where they belong. It was evident that he was doing this because the look on his face was priceless! Soon he wanted to inspect every box before bidding. The Auctioneer would not have this so he was forced to buy alot of worthless junk. My buddy and I did pull the Auctioneer sons to the side and told him what was going on. The very next auction they caught him in the act. He disappeared after that and soon after stopped selling at a flea market.

Point is that you can point this out to an Auctioneer and not confront the person directly. After having items stolen from me I take a 5 gallon bucket with me. All the small stuff goes right into the bucket. Then I control it.

In spite of how much security an Auctioneer may hire, more eyes always help. Besides I see it more as helping the seller than the Auctioneer. The seller has worked their whole life for much of what is being sold. I would not want to be cheated out of any of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to 20minnie For This Post:
Old 02-16-2014, 12:16:16 PM
Registered

make sure you are right before accussing some one of something like this. if you see some one taking out of a box, then putting it in their pocket. that's one thing.. its not right..just make sure you see right
Old 02-16-2014, 12:25:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,865 Times in 1,080 Posts

I believe it was on another thread that I read about a fellow who was pretty certain the auctioneer was pulling bids out of the air or off a fencepost and he stopped the auctioneer and demanded to see who was bidding against him. I believe the crowd supported this action. I would.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:33:31 PM
Registered

I agree with you. I have seen this many times
Old 03-27-2014, 01:48:09 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: Stealing at Auction Sales

Was just at a mower shop liquidation sale. Auctioneer was 'air bidding' and drove several items up. He also had a shill bidding too. On one item, I ran him to almost double what the item was worth, and then saw the auctioneer nod to him. At that point,I suddenly stopped bidding,and the auctioneer actually spent over 5 minutes trying to get me to bid one more time. An hour later, the he tried to sell it again,, and the owner caught it. - "didn't that sell an hour ago?" Several other times, the auctioneer cut the sale short, saying "SOLD" before another bid could be made. Several people complained about this, rather loudly, and told the owner he was being ripped off. I feel bad for the owner, he lost thousands literally due to this unscrupulous auctioneer. i WISH i HAD WRITTEN HIS NAME DOWN, WOULDN'T LIKE TO SEE ANYONE ELSE RIPED OFF BY THIS CROOK.
andrewe
Old 03-27-2014, 03:17:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,410 Times in 1,553 Posts

IMHO, you're nearly as guilty as the auctioneer if you let this go without reporting it to the auctioneers association.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:06:35 PM
Registered

About 30 years ago I went to the auction where two brothers kept all their old cars. I watched a lady at a wagon place a couple of items on the bottom of a box of old magazines. I checked it and found a small Ford moder T overhaul manual. And a very old original color catalog of horse drawn carriages.

I put them on top and she came and put them back on the bottom. Your mine lady, they held the box up and she kind of signeld me not to bid it up. The auctioneer looked kind of puzzeled at the bidding.
After I got the box a local man told me the he collected carraiges and would I sell it to him. I took his number and called him in a couple of days. It took me a while to sell the Ford booklet and magazines but I felt it was worth it.

Bob
Old 03-27-2014, 11:50:09 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWurth View Post
Another stunt some will pull at sales that really gets to me is the SOBs that tamper with the wiring on tractor and or car engines so they wont start when put on the block. They seldom end up buying said item but think they can get things for next to nothing. That's one reason I don't sell on consignment any more. I had a nice Pontiac to sell one time and didn't keep a close enough watch on it and some A## pulled the ign wires and run the battery down so it wouldn't run. Needless to say I bought it back and had to fix it to drive it home. I let a family member have it for what I had in it, which was another mistake , but that's another story. A lot of times they will change the plug wires around so it won't start. F.J.W.
around here if it doesn't run, it doesn't sell that has pretty much stopped the problem.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:58:07 AM
Registered

I was at an estate auction where they were selling all the household things first. Over on some tables that would sell late in the afternoon was an Aermore whistle and valve. I had looked it over numerous times while waiting around. At noon I walked over to my pickup for some lunch. After I finished and was walking back I saw a guy heading toward me in the parking lot with the Aermore. As we passed I asked him "Is that the whistle that was on the table with the carburetors?" He walked on past me and didn't answer but then stopped and said "I was taking it over for my wife to look at". I followed him and didn't say a word hoping to get a license plate. He never did show the whistle to his 'wife' and meandered back to the table and set it down. I'm sure if I had not blundered into him walking through the parked vehicles that whistle would have never shown up again.

Stealing at an estate sale is stealing from the dead, the lowest of the low.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fordson1 For This Post:
Old 03-28-2014, 12:34:35 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Stealing at Auction Sales

In the mower shop auction, I am not sure if the man was even a professional. No sign as to where he did business, no company ID, I did tell the owner he was being stiffed, and he knew it. If the auctioneer was a legit business, I would have reported him, but where do you call on a saturday in NJ to report a dishonest auctioneer?
Old 03-28-2014, 02:51:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,410 Times in 1,553 Posts

You could call on Monday as well as Saturday.