Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Accumulator or no?

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1656 times

Old 08-30-2009, 06:32:42 PM
Registered

Default Accumulator or no?

How would I go about making an accumulator for a 5 hp Bessemer? I seem to remember somone saying six times the cylinder displacement? How do I figure this out? If I get an on demand regulator, do I still need the accuimulator? If an on demand reg would be better, what is a good brand to go with and what size would I need?

I want to get the old girl running very soon. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2009, 10:39:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,927 Times in 199 Posts
Default Re: Accumulator or no?

I do not run accumulators on my engines. The air gas mixture to run a engine is around 16 parts air to 1 part fuel , so why would you need a accumulator 6 times the cylinder volume? I have found they are not necessary. From people I know that run on demand regulators I am told they work great, although I have not used them. Maybe some else that uses them will chime in.
I pipe my engines in the size of pipe that goes to the intake valve and the volume in the pipe is enough to run the engine for show. I put a regulator to give the engine a few ounces to the intake valve. And on the inlet side of the regulator I run 3-5 pounds pressure. And from 3- 5 pound side I pipe the hot tube. I run 4 to 40 Hp engines this way without a accumulator this way and it works fine.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:06:43 AM
Registered

Default Re: Accumulator or no?

Yea, what Chris said!
The Following User Says Thank You to Doug Waggonner For This Post:
Old 09-01-2009, 01:51:45 AM

Thanked 6,761 Times in 4,297 Posts
Exclamation Re: Accumulator or no?

On our Oil City/South Penn 20 HP, I made an Accumulator out of a piece of 3" K copper and 2 heavy pressure caps. The accumulator is 30" long, 3" diameter, and has 11" WC pressure within. Inlet is 1/4" hose from the regulator, outlet is 3/4" IPS flow to a gas valve, A Tee, then 2-3/4" gas supply hoses to another Tee mounted on the inlet valve on the engine. The dual hoses were used to cut flow resistance to the inlet valve, and to reduce the chance of vibration doing damage to the fuel system. The engine has 11&1/2"bore, 17" stroke, so obvoiusly the 6X rule is not nescessary in this application. 11" water column pressure is low pressure. When we tried to run straight off the regulater, the volume of gas used caused the propane tank to cut off fuel flow, starving the engine after a revolutuion or 2. (We were using a grill tank, with the new federal government mandated valve on it). With the lower pressure, and the accumulator, we can run the engine for about 12 hours on one 20 pound cylinder. More often we run the engine on a 100 pound cylinder. That will last about 4 days, running 8 hours a day - no load, at about 80 RPM.
Andrew