Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Best solvent for parts cleaner

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 49809 times

Old 10-05-2002, 07:25:15 PM
Chris Kirk

Default Best solvent for parts cleaner

I'm going to buy a parts cleaner with a 20 gal tank and pump. What is the best type of solvent to use for cleaning caked-on oil/grease from engine parts?

Thanks...

Chris
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2002, 07:47:28 PM
allen lapage

Default Re: Best solvent for parts cleaner

I just use mineral sperits or paint thinner (same thing) in my tank and it works very well. Just buy the cheapest you can get. I get mine at farm and fleet for about $2.00 per gal on sale. You will need about 8 gal.for the pump to reach the solvent.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:47:31 PM
Paul Hokanson

Stoddard Solvent is the best I've found. I buy it at an oil supply company. I have a twenty gallon parts washer also and I've cleaned around twenty engines and am about ready to change it for this coming winter to do a few more. Paul
Old 10-05-2002, 07:47:33 PM
Tim Claremont

Hi Chris,

I recommend going to your local repair shop and asking what they use. I have a product in mind, but I can't recall the name of it. It might be "Safety-Clean" or some such thing.

The caution on most of this stuff is that it can be downright dangerous to inhale or leave in contact with the skin.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:00:01 PM
Leon S

I use a de-greaser concentrate available in 5 gal buckets at home-depot, it is supposed to be mixed with water but i use it full strength...best thing is it is not flamable
Old 10-05-2002, 10:21:20 PM
Dave Showerman

Tim, I still work in a GM plant. I watched "safety kleen" come in at managements request and remove 20 or 30 cleaning units which contained (?) It would leave a part clean and grease free. The same company replaced those units with a hot water and soap unit. You can get a part almost as clean by taking it to the drinking fountain. I understand the ecology concerns.(I think) Guess this really hit my hot button. Dave in Holt.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:03:18 AM
Dick Fisher

Reminds me of an incident that occured to me about 10 years ago at work. (I am retired now).I was cleaning a third membeer, ( differental) in a large pan, (not a parts washer), when OSHA walked up. He asked what kind of washer solvent that I was using. Thinking quickly, I said GAAZ-ZO-LEEN, made by Standard Oil Co. He said that he had never heard of that brand of solvent, and what did I think of its cleaning power. I told him that it was the best cleaning solvent that I had ever used, although it was not inflamable. He said that it did smell like it would burn. The solvent that I was using had been exposed to the open air for several days ,and it had cleaned several oily parts, so I wasn't afraid to show him that I wasn't really dangerous. I put a little on a small rag,and put it off to ons side and tried to light it with my lighter. I had quite a time to get it to flame. Finlly it caught fire, and burned a little bit with a lot of smoke, and went out. He was satisfied that the solvent was safe. HE NEVER CAUGHT ON!!! Still the best darn grease solvent available, albiet dangerous.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:25:00 AM
leonard

Before you put any flammable solvent in your cleaner make sure it is meant for that type of solvent. A lot of the newer parts cleaners with pumps are designed for water-based cleaners.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:31:50 AM
leonard

Yep gasoline is an excellent solvent for degreasing. It is also VERY dangerous and should not be used in anything that might produce a spark.

Best adivce-don't ever use gasoline to clean parts. You can work with it for years and have no problem then something sparks and it's bar-b-que time.

If you have to use a petroleum product to clean I'd recommend kerosene or deisel fuel.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:35:16 PM
Pete Stauffer

I agree, gasoline though very effective is a big NO-NO in a parts washer. I use kerosene in mine. Cheap, readily available, and it works fine. Pete
Old 10-07-2002, 01:15:11 PM
Allen

Lots of people used to use R-13 to clean up stuff, as it would cut grease then evaporate and leave no residue...(Think of older brake and electrical cleaner) ... Unfortunately, with it being a flurocarbon and all, it is rather hard to get these days.
Old 10-07-2002, 01:59:58 PM
Patrick Marsh

Safety Kleen is anything but SAFE it will eat the skin off the bones. Kerosene the way to go.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:04:20 PM
Tim Claremont

I really don't think safety-kleen is the stuff I am thinking of. Safety-Kleen has been around for years, and the stuff I am thinking of is relatively new.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:45:51 PM
Dick Fisher

I certainly did not mean to recomend , or sugest the use of "gaz-o-leen) as a cleaning fluid. Just a story about getting caught, and getting out of it and getting one over on OSHA.