Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Rev. Elmer Ritzman's Letters & Others

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 1996 times

Old 02-07-2010, 10:42:03 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,133 Times in 3,930 Posts
Talking Rev. Elmer Ritzman's Letters & Others

Hats off to Brenda for this month's Engineers & Engines magazine! The article, pictures and letters submitted by Chady Atteberry are tremendous! Their historic content has meaning for all of us.

I thoroughly enjoyed the 1946 letter as authored by the late Elmer Ritzman, founder of Iron Man Album and former chaplain of National Threshers. What a trip he and his wife took when they left June 24, 1946 and returned home on July 11, 1946.

I can't help but wonder about the fate of some of the engines that they saw during their trip?

First stop: O.T. Oaks of Greenville, PA who was a farm equipment dealer and an admirer of Avery threshers. He sold them "all over Ohio." He took them to see "a 20th Century double undermounted steam sunning itself in an abandoned field where it had just finished sawing." Anyone know more about this 20th Century's fate?

Second stop: The police aided them in finding Mr Ormann Keyer's home in Canton, OH. He owned a 19 hp Port Huron outfit. He also had a wonderful collection of catalogs and harvesting & threshing scenes in color.

Third stop: Detroit, MI where they wandered around the Orrville section spotting an Orville thrasher, a 25 hp Russell and an 8 hp Machamar steam traction engine on the way. They saw their first commercial airport on that trip--Detroit Metro.

Fourth stop: Clio, MI and Carlton Johnson who has a Buffalo Pitts engine and had charge of a 24 hp Port Huron steamer as well as a fine collection of catalogs. He worked in a sawmill during the summer and the Roundhouse in Saginaw in the winter.

Fifth stop: Alma, MI and Eugene T Walker who was an old thresherman and not in very good health.

Sixth stop: Off to Alvordton, OH and LeRoy W Blaker-a distance of 133 miles. He made it for Saturday of NTA and witnessed LeRoy sawing with the 32 Port Huron, AD Baker's prony brake in action, and a minature Port Huron. 200 people were in attendance. NTA started in 1944.

Seventh stop: Frankfort, IN and James W Chandler who was not home. A 203 mile journey.

Eighth stop: Peoria, IL which was 190 miles for a total of "393 miles traveled in one day and it was too much. It takes some joy out of a trip to journey too far in a given time. You become too tired to be nice." There they had a "needed bath and rested well."

Ninth stop: Loraine, IL and another cousin who owned and operated a 160 acre farm in the Mississippi River bottom.

Tenth stop: Pittsfield, IL and Mr Fred W Kiser who had a 200 acre farm and two "beautifully painted engines, a Russell and a Jumbo." He too had a great collection of catalogs.

Eleventh stop: Edwardsville, IL and Oscar Buscher who had a "20 Advance Rumely, 16 Nichols & Shepard double, 12 Stephens, 9 Case, 10 Jumbo, 16 Advance, and a home made 4 hp steam traction. In the afternoon, they looked at a 20 Robison traction and a 32 hp Aultman Taylor gas tractor-the biggest gas tractor he'd ever seen! THEN, they saw a 20 Gaar Scott sitting in a grassy lawn painted like a lady, its owner too old to thresh. Then a 20 Jumbo standing in a shed waiting for someone to buy it."
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2010, 10:59:30 PM

Default Re: Elmer Ritzman's Letters & Others

Twelvth stop: Belleville, IL and the "Hospital where the Belleveille Threshers and Jumbo engines were born." They purchased, at a reduced rate, a steam chest cover for an 1885 engine with the elephant embossed on the metal.

Thirteenth stop: Illinois side of the Wabash River where they pitched their tent and they had "imported New Jersey skeeters. We got out our DDT and they went home."

Fourteenth stop: Keck Gonnerman plant where 5 threshers were in process of erection.

Fifteenth stop: Shelbyville, IN and Brady Meltzer who had a lot of interesting machinery - a 20 Advance Rumely, Keck thresher, 5 clover hullers, Double sawmill and a fine machine shop. He also made guns.

Sixteenth stop: Rushville, IN to see Roy Mitchell and Luther Cadwell where they saw an old Gaar Scott side mounted portable, crank in the front of the smoke box and Gaar Scott thresher reputed to be 101 yrs old.

Seventeenth stop: Brookville, OH and Homer F Holp and his Father John. Very interesting place with a Baker, Nichols & Shepard, 3 Advances (imagine that), Oil Pull, Threshers: Case and an Advance Rumely. Homer's equipment "look as though they came off the assembly line. We had to pinch ourselves to find if we were only dreaming!"

Eighteenth stop: Xenia, OH and Leroy Wolf who was a retired engineer and thresher fan. "He has a 22 Peerless double cleaned and painted and works like a clock."

Nineteenth stop: Columbus, OH and Robert Darby who gave them the royal tour.

Twentieth stop: Tocoma, OH and E. C. Foreman who was a "blockman for the Gaar Scott firm." He had a fine collection.

Home! July 11, 4:30.

Now THAT was a "Road trip!"

See the magazine for additional details and great photos! I look forward to more being published!

Beth
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Old 02-07-2010, 11:27:39 PM
Registered

Thanked 8,242 Times in 2,121 Posts
Default Re: Rev. Elmer Ritzman's Letters & Others

Beth,
I'd love to read them in my E&E magazine. The USPS has a hand in my not doing that.
Gary
Old 02-08-2010, 12:09:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,130 Times in 734 Posts
Default Re: Elmer Ritzman's Letters & Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by [U
Seventeenth stop:[/U] Brookville, OH and Homer F Holp and his Father John. Very interesting place with a Baker, Nichols & Shepard, 3 Advances (imagine that), Oil Pull, Threshers: Case and an Advance Rumely. Homer's equipment "look as though they came off the assembly line. We had to pinch ourselves to find if we were only dreaming!"

We have the Advance-Rumely.

David
The Following User Says Thank You to David For This Post:
Old 02-08-2010, 12:32:59 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,483 Times in 515 Posts

the 8hp mc namar sounds neat!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:56:02 AM

Gary,

Sorry to hear that I actually got my copy BEFORE you!

That is just a snippet to whet your appetite for the whole magazine.

....doesn't hurt that Chady sent in a photo of our 20-75 NS from 1952 and answered more questions about its history! Nice compliment for Rick Rowlands and the Tod Engine Project too.

Enjoy!

Beth
Old 02-08-2010, 01:04:24 AM
Registered

Even if he had a new ('46) car, he still had very few of what we think of as nessesities! Power Steering, Brakes, AC, Automatic Trans, even a radio was an accessory. While the good old days were good, I still like my newer car better! Roads were something else too! No super highways back then. We still had some one lane pavement on a State Route! If no one was coming, you drove on the cement, when you met someone, you put the passengers side on the gravel until they got by!!!!! If you know when that section of road is, you can still see the difference in the blacktop overlay on top of it.
Ray
Old 02-08-2010, 01:16:14 AM

Ray,

The letter mentions tire trouble & leaving early to beat the heat. It had to have been one heck of a trip given the vehicles that were in use, the "old" roads, no GPS, no Mapquest (therefore, they used the police to locate at least one place), toll road, etc...let alone "pitching the tent" and using "DDT!"

I realize that the "32 Aultman Taylor" tractor should be either a 30-60 or 22-45, but I quoted Elmer's letter.

Beth
Old 02-08-2010, 07:00:04 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,149 Times in 433 Posts

Hi All,
I have a 1933 Ford Y (Baby Ford) It's been with the family since 1948. It has six volt electrics, opening wind screen for air con, no gaters round any of the foot peddles etc etc. But we still hear tales of folks going to the south of France and other such places with them. My father always wore cycle clips when driving it in winter to stop the drafts going up his trouser legs. I suppose if that's what you were use to you just got on with it.

The photo is me a and a mate at a break neck 35mph

Fred.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Y on road.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	73169  
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Cooper For This Post:
Old 02-08-2010, 11:18:06 AM
In Memory Of

My E&E ar. here Sat and I read it Sat evening. I will read it a second time today as it snows, I am hoping the April/May issue will arive shortly as reading is about all I am able to do these days. I am going to make a comment on the letter That Chatty submitted. One of Elmer's stops on his trip was reported to be at the home of Oscar Buscher's in Edwardsville, ILL. One of the engines Elmer reported seeing there was a 9HP Case. I am not fool enough to say that Oscar never owned a 9HP Case, But since many people have mistakenly called 9s, 30s and vise versa, I am going to point out the possibilty that it was not a 9, but rather maybe a 30? In a list of engines put out in 1956, by LeRoy Blaker, A late(1916) buttstrap boilered 30 is credited to Oscar, Engine number 33533. That number is indeed one of the elusive and highly sought after 1916 30s.I have not seen reference to that engine any time after that. maybe someone knows if it still survives somwhere? That engine number falls in the final production run of 49, 30s made by Case that were quite different than all of their previous 30s. Of that 49 engines, 8 may survive, with a boiler only for a 9th. I do so hope that oscar's does still survive.
Chuck
Old 02-08-2010, 03:25:32 PM
Sponsor

You don't have to worry chuck it is still their in the barn. A the son and grandson or taking good care of it. I see to that myself.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:28:58 AM
In Memory Of

Joe,
My wife believes I am not happy unless I have things to worry about,and she makes it her job and duty to make sure I do not run out of things to worry about so maybe I can find something else to take the place of this one? Here is a suggestion for you, that I bet you have not thought of yourself?, I think you could save yourself some driving time if you were to move that late 30 from Edwardsville, to Wood River, and keep in a nice dry shed close to your home. Is there still a 9 Horse Case in Edwardsville too, or maybe there never was one there, and Elmer had mistaken this late 30 for a 9? or maybe had just mis-spoke? Would Oscar's kids or grandkids know if he ever had a 9?
Chuck