Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators. When asking new questions about your generator, ALWAYS give your model number AND serial number.

Onan Generators

Anyone used an Oil Accumulator?

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 2150 times

Old 04-03-2010, 04:16:39 PM
Registered

Default Anyone used an Oil Accumulator?

While slowly getting ready to set up my JC, I've been wondering how to make it last forever. Since I understand a significant part of engine wear comes in the first few seconds of starting, plumbing in an oil accumulator (such as an Accusump) ( http://www.accusump.com/accusump_tech.html#whatis )
sounds like a good idea. Has anybody in the forum tried this? I really would like to avoid re-inventing the wheel on this and use someone else experience instead.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2010, 04:36:41 PM
Registered

Default Re: Anyone used an Oil Accumulator?

Keep your oil changed on time, and it will last forever. If your that worried about, wire your oil pressure switch to where the engine wont start until it has oil pressure. Im sure its fine as it is.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:49:04 PM

Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,200 Posts
Talking Re: Anyone used an Oil Accumulator?

"LubeOil is the cheapest Insurance you can buy... " So said my old Cannery Foreman, Bud Schmitz... "Change it regularly and use GOOD Filters and your Engines will outlast, your Grandchildren." I found this to be the best advice...
Old 04-03-2010, 07:13:54 PM

Thanked 16,732 Times in 7,764 Posts

New scam on an old idea. Save your money. I have seen many an engine locked up because the oil reserve tank did not work. Saw a Allis Chalmers engine one time. Locked up for lack of oil. Oil tank still had 30 gallons in it.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:27:39 PM
Sponsor

I've often thought of using an electrically driven (12VDC) oil pump in parrallel to the built in system. Have it come on before turning over, with a shutoff timer set for maybe 10 secs. That way you could prime the oil system before even starting it.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:32:21 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,659 Posts

Hi Folks:

Lots of good comments on oil discipline. So may I add some of my experiences since the 60's. Back then, I installed a Frantx bypass toilet paper oil filter on my Chevie. I was sold on its' merits and did not change my motor oil after that. Just changed the filter element and added a quart when I saw the oil getting visibly darker. I do not remember, ever pulling the crankcase drain plug after that. The car accumulated about 150k miles and I had to get rid of it after the frame rusted out. I susequently stopped using the Frantz because I was led to believe oil was cheap enough and that the Frantz did not remove all impurities. It did remove water and small particles and carbon. You could see then glisten in the sun on top of the toilet paper. I did not trust the Frantz.

Then the Onan engineers told me that 90% of the wear occurs in the first 15 minutes of operation and that attention to the proper viscosity is very important. The gen sets do not have the luxury of an idle warmup but start out at rated RPM when cold and film strength is lacking or at least not ideal.

I use low viscosity synthetic lube oil in my Onan and always make sure the unit fully warms up before shut down.

I sometimes wonder about the durability of the current small 2-pole KW generators which run at 3600 RPM from a cold start. Using natural gas instead of gasoline really extends oil life.

Leon
Old 04-03-2010, 09:26:47 PM
Registered

I'd worry about that Accusump system and associated plumbing causing leaks and subsequent oil loss. The less plumbing, the better, IMO.

When we built my VW-powered genset, we incorporated a low-oil-pressure shutdown with a manually-operated bypass switch. Good thing we did: the plastic line to the oil pressure guage split several inches from the connection and dumped all the oil into the genshed. The switch saved the day, and I've since gone to an electric guage with the transducer threaded directly into the filter head. Much less chance for leaks.

Interestingly, my buddy lost the engine in his boat because a similar plastic line split and dumped the oil into the bilge. This is the line that is included with a guage kit, so should be designed to last forever, or so you'd think.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:38:04 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts

The white plastic line sure won't stand being out in the sun, and I guess your experiences prove it won't last when out of the sun either.

I have used black air line to replace it when connecting up Murphy switches with good results.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:07:53 PM
Registered

Question Re: Anyone used an Oil Accumulator?

Out of curiosity, how long has the JC lasted so far?
Mel
Old 04-03-2010, 10:43:00 PM

Thanked 6,766 Times in 4,300 Posts
Exclamation Re: Anyone used an Oil Accumulator?

I always replace, or do not use plastic hose on oil or vacuum lines. Chinese lines disintergrate on exposure to oil, and ozone in the air also attacks any plastic. Constant flexing, from vibration, will also fracture it. If I do not use a direct electric sender type guage, I use a guage with copper tubing. I have seen guage and sender failures, and a low perssure kill switch can be an engine saver, wether you have a guage or not!
Andrew
Old 04-03-2010, 11:18:49 PM

Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,200 Posts
Talking Re: Anyone used an Oil Accumulator?

ANY Genset without a Low Oil Pressure Shutdown is a DISASTER Waiting to Happen... and it will bite you, in the behind, soon or later, and always at the worst possible moment. Just like Fuses instead of Circuit Breakers... Fuses will Blow eventually, and always at the worst moment.... and you NEVER will have enough of the right replacements on hand...
Old 04-04-2010, 01:17:22 PM
Registered

Default Anyone used an Oil Accumulator?

Now I'll start something: <<grin>>

FWIW: I've gone to synthetic oils pretty much exclusively. I'm a believer because:

1. VW recommends ONLY synthetic in their TDI Diesel engines. Also recommended is a 10,000 mile change interval.
2. Synthetics are known to flow better at cold temperatures, IE: at startup.
3. They are known to offer superior resistance to engine wear.
4. Synthetics offer extended change intervals. That may or may not be cost-effective, but it certainly cuts the maintenance time requirements. All of my vehicles go 10,000 miles between changes.
5. Synthetic oils are also known to hold up better under high heat conditions.
6. At least in some applications, users report better fuel mileage with synthetics. A friend told me that his motorhome gets 1+ MPG better with synthetic oil. That's probably 15% on that thing.
7. Synthetic gear oil is recommended by the manufacturer for the rear axle/differential in my Dodge p/u. Synthetic oil is also spec'd for the manual transmission in my p/u. It calls for 5w-30, of all things. (gear oil, not motor oil!)

A cousin drove trucks for a while, and the owner changed oil based strictly on analysis. The interval ended up being on the order of 80,000 to 90,000 miles. Using synthetic oil, of course.

My VW Diesel-powered genset has Amsoil 15w-40 oil in it, and it gets changed every other year. That's usually less than 200 hours, as it gets run pretty much only for PM any more. (Due to a new substation just down the road, it'll take a very severe storm to knock us out.)

Quote:
Using natural gas instead of gasoline really extends oil life
I had an interesting conversation with a fella who's run a garage nearly all his life and done many, many engine overhauls. He's observed that since the advent of computer-controlled fuel injection, he's noticed that engines have almost no ridge at the top of the cylinders, even after quite high mileage. He lays it to better use of fuel, especially on a cold engine. "When the customer complained of stalling and poor driveability when the engine was cold, the normal 'fix' was to adjust the automatic choke pull-off, richening up the mixture." Today's fuel injection gives the engine a near-perfect mixture right from startup, eliminating wash-down from the cylinders. Of course, running your genset on gas, either natural or propane, will give you the same advantage, even moreso.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:58:55 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,142 Times in 428 Posts

I like the separate primer pump idea. Just a little hand lever pump. Those few seconds with the gauge on 0 after an oil change kills me even though I know the engine will be just fine.

With a sawzall and a MIG welder, everything fits everything.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:59:20 PM
Registered

I agree on the sick feeling watching the guage or idiot light after an oil change, hollering, "Come on, oil pressure!!"

However, I overhauled a VW Diesel that had 260,000 miles on it. The oil was changed every 3000 miles, using 15w-40. Don't remember the brand, but it was probably mostly Shell Rotella T. That's lots of filters to be filled while the engine was running with no oil pressure. :-( There were 2 pistons with one broken ring/each, which caused significant blowby, which was the reason for the overhaul. However, the bearings looked good enough that I briefly considered reusing them. The cylinders did have a ridge; the bores measured about .005" over just under the ridge, so a rebore and new pistons were in order. The cylinder wear was almost certainly NOT due to the no oil pressure situation after the changes. As I said, there was no significant bearing wear.

I do dump oil into the new filter if it's positioned such that it won't run out during installation.

Speaking of that: Be VERY careful to not get a little piece of that sealing foil into your new filter, as you're dumping it into the 'clean' side of the filter. I've read reports of failures of Cummins Diesel engines due to this, as they have very small orfices where the oil sprays onto the bottom of the pistons.

Also, I don't make a practice of filling a new fuel filter before installation. In my 2001 Dodge, I can let the electric transfer pump fill the new filter by simply bumping the starter, which will cause the pump to run for 30 seconds. It takes 2 or 3 times before the fuel pressure guage finally rises and stays up. Then, it's time to actually crank the engine and start it. On the VW, I use my siphon blow gun on the filter outlet tube to fill the filter before connecting it to the pump.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:12:27 PM
Registered

Agree on the 0 oil pressure after service, but I bar the engine over at least 6 or 7 full revolutions after oil change, hoping to fill the filter (sidemount) I use a socket/ratchet on the flywheel nut.
The best fuel filter I know of is the DAVCO www.davcotec.com although I dont own one, its on my wishlist.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:45:57 PM
Subscriber

If the engine is run regularly the oil accumulater isn't going to save you much if any wear and tear. And all generators should be run at least once a week right! I have used them on race cars that don't get run very often, or sit all winter, for prelubing the engine. They won't do anything for you in a loss of oil pressure situation. They only provide a few seconds of oil pressure (if that).
All large engines, I mean very large engines are equipped with an electric or manual prelube system, used only on startup.
Changing the oil and filter with the proper grade is the best thing you can do for any engine.
Regards
Mikey

Last edited by Mikey4026; 04-20-2010 at 05:47:50 PM. Reason: Crappy spelling