Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Myrick Eclipse 4 HP Air Cooled Hot Tube Hit & Miss Manual Needed

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 4409 times

Old 02-05-2011, 04:34:09 PM
Subscriber

Default Myrick Eclipse 4 HP Air Cooled Hot Tube Hit & Miss Manual Needed

Looking for a manual for a 4 hp Myrick Eclipse air cooled hot tube hit & miss engine, orig or copy is fine. thanks for any help Tom
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 09:10:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,215 Times in 477 Posts
Default Re: Myrick Eclipse 4 HP Air Cooled Hot Tube Hit & Miss Manual Needed

Hi Tom,

Good luck finding a manual. There was never one printed to my knowledge. Myrick engines were built about 30 miles from where I live. At one time I owned the largest collection of Myrick ephemera, bluprints, parts sheets and plate glass negatives known to exist. The collection is now in another private collector's possesion. In that collection were all kinds of advertising that show the engines, pumping powers and other machinery that was built. I have seen quite a bit of Myrick Eclipse data in my life and a manual has never turned up. A local oil company here that dated back to the 1880's disbanded in the late 1990s. That company had over the years amassed a pretty sizable collection of manuals for other equipment and engines. I bought a lot of the literature at the auction. Alas, there was very very little Myrick stuff and that was mostly billheads or written letters. I'm not saying they never did print a manual. Most likely you got a tour of duty at the factory when you picked up your machinery. Myrick never really tried for the national market. A few advertisements in Gas Power constitute the whole approach towards the major market and they were trying to place engines into the field of electrical generation. Myrick preferred the local market and promoted oil and gas well supplies in what little advertising they did. Luther Manufacturing Co. of Olean, NY, bought the assets of Myrick Machine Co., in 1920. Mr. P.J. Messer was Myrick and Luther's chief design engineer. He was a brilliant man. His designs were in many ways, ahead of thier time. He saw the advantages of enclosed crankcases, air cooling, roller bearings, double row ball bearings and Timken tapered bearings early on in his career. I could go on for hours about these two companies...
Old 02-05-2011, 09:36:03 PM
Subscriber

Hi Brian, thanks for all the info, I was trying to get some idea of the years they built this type of engine. Tom
Old 02-05-2011, 09:59:01 PM
Subscriber

Hi Tom,

Production of the type H 4 hp air cooled vertical started in 1912. Myrick built them until 1920 and ended thier numbering system on them at #2,000 when they were bought by Luther. Luther commenced at #2001 and went up. There were less than 400 Luther engines built from 1920 until the last one left the shop in 1952. This makes the Luther somewhat of a rarity compared to the Myrick built Eclipse. There were several changes to the Eclipse engine during the 40 years of production. What is your engine's serial number. I can help approximate the vintage by that. Maybe Paul Gray will check in here with some info too. Paul is quite knowledgable about Myrick.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:44:28 AM
Sponsor

Hi Brian,
I have #1992 and its a Luther. They must have taken over a little before #2000.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:27:18 PM
Subscriber

Hi Brian, my engine is ser # 1873, Tom
Old 02-07-2011, 06:44:23 PM
Subscriber

OK, Group conference time!
Tom,
Your number was most likely built in 1917 or early 1918.
Steve,
Something like that popping up doesn't surprise me at all. I had #1999 and It was a Myrick Eclipse. A few yrs back I had a Luther that was #2002. I've seen them and owned them with both Myrick and Luther tags on the same engine -and in some instances the tags had their own numbers. That gave one engine with two serial numbers! (???) Maybe some of these engines in the last few / first few batches were on the assembly floor at the same time and got whatever nametag was handy. Have you had a chance to work on the Eclipse with the 2 piece base?

Keepemgoin'! -Brian

Last edited by Brian Lynch; 02-08-2011 at 02:21:27 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-07-2011, 07:18:10 PM
Sponsor

Hi Brian,
Your probably right that they just grabbed whatever name tag was handy. They might have asked which one you wanted at that time and put that tag on even through they were the same engine. On Paul's site there's one on there thats in the 1800's thats a Luther. I haven't done much with the 2 piece base one. I need to get it wire wheeled and sand blasted sometime soon. Steve
Old 02-07-2011, 08:03:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanks again for the info and build date Brian. Thanks also to a fellow stacker that sent me a 11 page scan of a Myrick 4 hp manual. Tom
Old 02-07-2011, 08:11:07 PM
Subscriber

Brian, correct my numbers if you think they are in error- I believe the confusion may stem from there being engines tagged Myrick, Myrick-Luther Co (MLCo) and plain old Luther. I am sure there were some engines lying around which were not sold during the time of company name transfer and got numbered prior to the sale, hence the pre-1920 Luther engines?? Or there were tags lying about....?? We do know they numbered all their engine sequentially. The Myrick juniors all come in around S/N 500's- maybe they made a bunch of them and then stopped. Why the open crankcase on the Juniors in amongst the closed case model B's?? The cast brass tags disappear around S/N 900-1000. Between S/N 900 and 1100 there was a switch from a bronze con rod in the "H" to steel rod. The same is seen on the governer switch from the lollipop to the 2-weight system. There are also combinations of weights (and flywheels) and rods as parts were replaced in the field. It appears they sold everything they made and there were some very odd combinations. I picked up a model B with the early style swept base from Brian which was missing the head and it had a later style cylinder on it from the one with the separate crankcase and sub-base. For such a small company, they sure made a LOT of different engines- maybe 20+ while they were Myrick...half a dozen sideshaft models (?). I hope to compile a history of Myrick in the next few weeks for GEM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulGray For This Post:
Old 02-07-2011, 09:28:22 PM
Registered

Hi Brian, Can you tell me an approximate date for a Myric Eclipse with serial # 852 it has a gas tank in the bottom of the base and a bronze rod. Thanks in advance Larry
Old 02-08-2011, 09:25:39 PM
Subscriber

Hi All,
Been busy with snow plowing today. But that's ok, I've had some time to think about this thread and some of the many questions it has created.

Paul, your numbers are pretty much bullseye and concur with what I've seen and had in the past.

Could the Luther tagged engines with lower than #2000 serial numbers have been sold by Luther Mfg. as thier engine prior to 1920? Basically a rebadge. Lots of companies did this and still do it today. Maybe they just wanted a quality engine in thier line of products. Either way, we know the end result was the 1920 buyout. Luther was engaged in about the same type of manufacture as Myrick. The actual story has been lost to time but further research may turn up the facts.

YES! Myrick was very prolific in engine design. P.J. Messer was given a lot of room to work and make machinery. Myrick built single cylinder sideshaft engines from 3 HP up to 20 HP. They built double cylinder sideshaft engines from 10 to 60 hp. All the sideshaft engines were water cooled. Vertical cylinder air cooled engines were built from 1-1/2 to 6 HP. Water cooled verticals do exist. They did in fact sell thier "research and developement" as product. Failures were duly noted and changes were made to overcome. Dozens of designs and thier improvements finally led to the 4hp type H gas engine of 1912. It is the most widely found and owned by today's collectors. It is simple, rugged and easy to work on. Best of all, it was air cooled. No freeze up damage. That was something to be appreciated because it eliminated the extra expense on antifreeze. Many of these engines operated in very remote locations and forgetting to drain a water cooled engine in cold weather caused headaches. Air cooling also added up to lower initial cost. The type H Eclipse engines will run for years with basic upkeep and minor repair. Even the type H as Paul notes, went through several changes to make it even more reliable.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:20:32 PM
Registered

Hi Tom,

Is the manual in digital form? I would be interested in seeing what it looks like. Spent a lot of time with my eclipse working on it intuitively, but seeing what the factory specified would be fascinating!

If its only in hardcopy, I would be willing to compensate someone for scanning or copying it.....

Mike
Old 12-15-2015, 05:54:35 AM
Registered

New to hit and miss engines. I have two eclipse and a manual would help out this beginner! Anyway I can get a copy.? Willing to pay. And thanks so much in advance if anyone can help me. Deb
Old 12-15-2015, 09:46:10 PM
Subscriber

Deb, I wrote a short booklet on Myrick engines and history for Coolspring Power Musuem in their Bores and Strokes publications. If you check out http://coolspringpowermuseum.org/Publications.htm
You can order a copy there. Please tell us about your engines...serial number, hot tube or mag ignition, condition... Paul