Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Best Welder/Generator?

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 16524 times

Old 03-13-2011, 03:36:06 PM
Registered

Default Best Welder/Generator?

Hi guys, I'm trying to kill two birds with the same rock.(nothin against birds, it's just an expression)LOL. Ok, here's the deal. I want to get a nice engine driven welder and I want to get a generator powerful enough to run my house after the next big storm. I figure I need around 10KW because I'd like to have A/C. All the major brands have the power but when the A/C kicks in, is there a problem waiting for the generator to sense the demand before it comes up to speed? Has anyone had any experience with this? If my question doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to rephrase it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2011, 04:11:19 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts
Default Re: Best Welder/Generator?

In My humble opinion, welders which also generate AC power make poor stand-by generators. I think they use more fuel that their generator ONLY cousins. Most welder only have the ability to generate AC power so one can use grinder, drills and other portable power tool on a job site that does not have the utility mains connected yet. NOTE: My opinion!

Kent
The Following User Says Thank You to K D Redd For This Post:
Old 03-13-2011, 05:47:11 PM
Registered

not a good idea to get that you would be buying something that is very inefficient, here is what you need to determine what kind of welding are you going to do and where.if you do not need portability ie.all your welding will be at home. then determine the size generator you need to run your home and the welder you need,not necessarily want,then purchase the gen and electric welder.if you work in the field then again size the gas welder for your needs and a generator for your needs at home.you will be better off with two rather than one,consider noise as well and your neighbors if there are any.
The Following User Says Thank You to George Clark For This Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 09:18:15 AM
Registered

I appreciate the feedback. Since this will be used mostly for stick welding on jobs sites and only used in emergencies to run my home, I'm not too concerned about it's efficiency. As for noise, when the power is out, half the neighborhood is running generators so that's not a major issue.
What I am worried about is how well the generator responds to demands for power. If you turn on a light, the generator senses the need for more amperage and the engine speeds up to supply it. The light might flicker a second but that's no problem. If the A/C compressor kicks and there isn't enough amperage, the starting capacitor has already discharged. Then the generator powers up but the compressor motor doesn't have that starting power from the capacitor to get it going. That's the sort of thing I'm worried about. I hope this explains it a little better.
I know there are StandBy generator units but they are really expensive.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:39:14 AM
Registered

well i have a miller trailblaser with a 10 k generator and a 3.5 ton ac unit and it will run the ac but i have to turn the fan on inside and then let the outside unit start or it will trip the breakers on the welder... its beter than nothing at all
mike
The Following User Says Thank You to hello113 For This Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 05:15:39 PM
Registered

Miller, Hobart and Lincoln make portable welders with that much auxillary power in a few models of each brand. Some won't have all the welding capabilities for TIG or MIG but those that cost a bit more will. That is what they were built for to supply more auxillary power at job sites yet also be able to put out more on 220V auxillary for emergencies. Step up to some of their larger models too with small diesel engines and they are very fuel efficient compared to gas models and some of the air cooled models can be bought OEM to run on propane. Some don't understand everyone can not afford all the toys they want.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dempster For This Post:
Old 04-25-2011, 09:52:25 PM
Registered

Hobart champion 10K. No frills straight DC stick welder, sure it will consume gasoline at a higher rate than a regular generator, but how many days per year you plan on running it for power? auto idle while welding they are very fuel efficient. The Hobart Champion will run my AC and everything else in my house except my stove (nat gas grill takes over in power loss situation) and my dryer. I got a good deal on a returned unit from Tractor Supply (had 7.5 hours on it). Buy a decent welder and a generator, you will still be above a Champion in price with less to show for it. Look and Hobart/Miller warranty and then that of a straight up generator, no compairison. Just my $.02.

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

Also when using it for power, it will always have amperage demand sensed and not slow down as long as a light in the house is "on". For that very reason, I leave mine in run position and not run/idle when using it for power.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrxlh For This Post:
Old 04-26-2011, 03:28:57 PM
Registered

I'd rather have a welding machine I can make money with than a genset that's mostly yard art. Noisy units can be be modded with quieter mufflers and sound-dampened with Dynamat if you care.

Using the welder will keep it ready to go, and in an outage there is no particular need to run it 24/7. Pump water into reserve containers for washing and bucket toilet flushing, cool down the house now and then, and save fuel no matter what you run.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1930Case For This Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 11:29:37 AM
eMail NOT Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland501 View Post
What I am worried about is how well the generator responds to demands for power. If you turn on a light, the generator senses the need for more amperage and the engine speeds up to supply it. .
The gasoline engine on any of the 10 kW welder generators runs at 3,600 rpm when electricity is being consumed or welding is being done. Adding load to the generator would be sensed by the governor and the throttle would be opened more - the speed would vary little. Also, the rotating mass of a 10kW size rotor and its 20 hp engine will allow very little droop in rpm when a large load is added. I think you have little to worry about here. Do not use the automatic idle feature when making electricity.

I have a Lincoln Ranger 8 which I originally bought using your logic: weld, power my shop and provide emergency power. However, I have since learned that the Lincoln is a pretty good welder, and a very noisy and inefficient generator (although it makes power just fine). I have now purchased Onan diesel generators for the power needs, and the welder is reserved for just welding and powering the grinder. The smaller diesel burns 0.25 gallons per hour, while the welder burns a bit more than 1 gallon per hour. That adds up over 200 hours per year.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to J. McNugget For This Post: