Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Lincoln SA200 welder generator, no output?

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 13544 times

Old 03-15-2011, 07:53:49 AM
Registered

Default Lincoln SA200 welder generator, no output?

I posted this in the welder /gen section and no response!

Can anyone give me some troubleshooting hints for checking a Lincoln SA-22-F163 Engine driven welder that has no weld output?

Im also looking for a service manual or service data electrical schematics that are no longer available from Lincoln! I have a owners manual!

Any help appreciated! I have all kinds of electrical testers, but not familiar with this type gen/welder and need few hints for testing?

I posted in the welder /gen section yesterday and no replys![COLOR="Silver"]

[QUOTE=Arkie;622973]I posted this in the welder /gen section and no response!

Can anyone give me some troubleshooting hints for checking a Lincoln SA-22-F163 Engine driven welder that has no weld output?

Im also looking for a service manual or service data electrical schematics that are no longer available from Lincoln! I have a owners manual!

Any help appreciated! I have all kinds of electrical testers, but not familiar with this type gen/welder and need few hints for testing?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2011, 08:14:29 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts
Default Re: Lincoln SA200 welder generator, no output?

Have you tried Lincoln website?

Kent
Old 03-15-2011, 08:32:27 AM
Registered

They still have manuals for obsolete welders. http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...r-manuals.aspx

I have a Lincoln G8000 that lost weld and aux power output. I found a bad connector on one of the rectifiers. If the manual(s) don't help, check all electrical connections, brushes, switches, everything you can see and or get to.

Good luck.

J.I.M.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:09:28 PM
Registered

Appears I need a M8781 connection wiring diagram per your link, which is no longer available! Anyone have one to share? (I have the owners manual)

I do not have any DC voltage at the receptacle (120vDC receptacle) which I suspect is also the exciter voltage, which I must have to produce the welding current output?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:33:22 PM
Registered

Did a Google search, found this: http://billswelderrepair.com/SA200schematics.html
and this: http://www.weldmart.com/technical/EX...BLSHOOTING.htm
Old 03-15-2011, 07:12:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,274 Times in 696 Posts

I bought an engine driven DC welder one time and it wouldn't weld until I took a copper wire and touched both terminals where the welding leads bolt on and then it took off and welded.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:01:49 PM
Registered

If its sat for a while, try cleaning the commutator in the welder. Doesn't take much corrosion to make a bad contact on the low voltage, high curent windings. Buff with scotchbrite until shiny. Don't use sandpaper as it can leave abrasive particles in the commutator.

Keith
Old 03-15-2011, 09:10:04 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Maryland View Post
It appears the link tto weldmart is the info We need to start the testing!

Thanks and I'll be back later!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:53:22 AM
Registered

exciter coils are tesing ok and phased correctly using ohmmeter per owner!

I told him to remove the armature and do a visual and take it too motor shope for growler testing!

He called back and said insulator pieces on opposite end from communtator were missing and some were coming out of the Armature!

Armature sounds sick and weak and needs attention!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:43:48 PM
Registered

SA-200 is welding!
Be-Aware that this is a un-safe procedure and not recommended by me for all because the automotive group 24 battery can explode. His battery was located approx 20 ft away behind some plywood, etc in case of explosion!
A guy told him to connect a isolated (isolated means not connected to anything else) 12v battery of proper polarity, neg to left brush and pos to right brush lead with jumper cables while the motor is running at proper rpm of approx 1550 and have a DC voltmeter connected to the same point as the brushs and keep a heads up for the brushes to eventually (may take 1-3 minuites) start arcing and at same the voltmeter voltage starts rising and when it get to approx 15 to17 volts unhook the battery and see if the voltage keeps building to the 115vDC. If the voltage decays or drops connect the 12v battery again! He said to keep a heads up when the voltage starts building (getting above the battery volts) and the brushes arcing because the generator exciter is genning back into the 12v battery and to not connect at disconnect at the battery due to possible Hydrogen gas explosion! (the battery is charging and discharging at a high rate)
He said when the gen ran about 2 min and the brushes started arcing and the DC voltage came up to about 17 down to 12 and was unstable and finally the voltage stayed at 17 and the brushes stopped arcing and the DC came to 115 when he un-hooked the battery and he connected a 8 amp grinder to the receptacle and it ran good and tested a weld arc as ok!
The unit had been sitting un-used for about 6 mo's and had two problems, rat chewed wires and loss of pole pieces residual magnetism! Main problem was loss of residual magnetism! When he killed the engine and re-started several times it's re-excited it-self, so the iron core pole pieces are holding residual magnestism for now!

Thanks to all and Dempster for the good helpful info!