Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Running Surplus 3-Phase Welders on Single-Phase Power

this thread has 52 replies and has been viewed 56336 times

Old 04-03-2016, 10:43:12 AM
eMail NOT Working

Default Re: Running surplus 3-phase welders on single-phase power

Hi Rocco!

This isn't the first time someone's asked me about the Lincoln Idealarc series, and I I'm certain that those that have contacted me about them before, have had success. Download the manual from Lincoln's website, and look on Page 28 , upper left corner, and you'll see that all but ONE of the connections you'll need to access, are directly available to you at the 'reconnect panel'.

The connection that you need access to that IS NOT, is designated 10,11,12. They're tied together in wye, and need to be brought out separately.

I haven't done one of these myself, so I can't tell you from first-hand experience, but others may chime in, or you MAY find that someone was kind enough to post the process in a step-by-step with photos and a diagram somewhere.

The concept is same as what I did with the SRH-333... separate out the three sets of windings. In this case, you'll have to configure the coil sets for whatever's closest to 240v. With the center three originally in wye, that means you'll need to do some math to figure that out, but once each phase is reasonably close to 240v, hook the upper and lower coils out-of-phase (see the black dots by 3,0, 1 and 7?), and put the capacitors in series with the center coil. You'll need somewhere around 80-120uf at 450vac (MOTOR RUN type capacitors).

This is a fairly early thyristor-based variable machine, which means it should be pretty happy throughout the range.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2016, 03:34:50 AM
Registered

hi Dave I was looking at your post and this is very tough for me to figure out I have a couple of questions 1st what size breaker will be required and what size power lead or wire is required? 2nd what size wire is needed to do the internal wiring ? 3rd 80 to 120 uf at 450 vac is that total or for each capacitor and where can I buy these capacitors at I could not find them on the surplus site and fourth can you please explain this in lamens terms because I am lost but still very interested just do not know where to begin .thank you for your time and patience
Old 05-02-2016, 03:28:39 AM
Registered

hi Dave I have just gotten around to starting on the cv 300 and separated the windings down to 6 wires each, I was looking at the photos you had posted on the SRH 333 and got confused with the wiring harness that you made and what else was added other than the two capacitors ? will two 88 UF 1200 be enough for my machine ? I was also wondering if you could walk me thru this because I feel unsure where to go next. do you take personal phone calls ? I am not much of a emailer either way thank you for your time and help, Rocco
Old 09-16-2016, 11:43:58 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco1 View Post
hi Dave I have just gotten around to starting on the cv 300
Did you ever get this to work? I've got an R3R-500 that I'd like to convert, but want to make certain I've got the connections down cold before I ever start.

For anyone that wants to help, the manual can be found at:

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/asse...oln3/IM409.PDF

Wiring diagram is on page 23, this is a 230/460v machine, code 11344

I'm also looking at an ESAB 353CV if I can figure it out as well, manual here:

http://www.esabna.com/literature/arc...e_15-579-d.pdf

Page 53, also a 230/460 machine.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:28:05 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by WldrRprMan View Post
I see you have converted some older, simpler 3 phase welders to single phase power. Have you converted any others like the Lincoln Ideal Arc CV400 or the Miller Goldstar 302 to single phase. These 2 examples use synchronization windings on the transformer to be used in SCR firing. I have been researching converters using the 3 phase motor technique and also solid state converters for this purpose. However I am a little hesitant to use these as they might not be agreeable to the SCR firing circuitry.
I got a cp200 hh057572 Miller, the Dave Kamp 3 phase to single phase, looks like a great conversion, the trouble is that my welder has less terminals on the board, this welder does not have the 460 volt winding, it has the 208 230 and a 208 volt winding, so hopefully this unit can be converted to single phase, any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

---------- Post added at 09:28:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10:53 PM ----------

I recently purchased a cp-200 miller matic welder, the condition (look) of this welder is in great condition, trouble is I was unaware of the 3 phase needed to operate this welder, I looked at the Kamp Haas conversion, so I thought great I may be able to use this machine, the trouble I am having is that this is a 208 230 volt system, the conversion is for a system with 460 volt coil.
So what I am asking, is there a conversion that I can do to switch this machine over to single phase ?
Model number HH057572 stock number 901 850
Old 11-10-2017, 12:11:39 AM
eMail NOT Working

The 208/230v only welder will NOT convert to single-phase like the 230/460. The transformer primary is entirely different.

I don't have one of these to experiment on, so I have nothing to offer there... Some guys have employed other methods, but I have seen no postings of what they've done, nor illustrated any results.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:11:00 AM
Registered

Good morning, I was researching how to power a 3 phase welder from single phase and came across this thread. Where I work had some goldstar 302 miller welders that they sold to some employees, and they have been asking me how to power them at home. As I am the maintenance guy here. Would it be possible for you to review the schematic for the 302, and help guide me through converting them please?
Old 04-12-2018, 11:25:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,727 Times in 978 Posts

interesting read, thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Old 10-13-2018, 01:58:13 AM
Registered

Default Re: Running Surplus 3-Phase Welders on Single-Phase Power

Amazing information, thanks!

Has anyone found any relevant information on converting the Lincoln Ideal Arc (Arc/TIG) to run off a single phase supply as of yet?

In Australia this now means 220 volts I believe (all my old stuff is 240V).
The machine is currently connected as a 415 volt 3 phase supply requirement but I'd like to be able to run it from my domestic supply.
Apparently it can be configured to run 220 volts two phase, or 415 volt 3 phase, now if I can just convince the neighbour to let me run an extension lead off his oven circuit.....

I don't believe I will be needing the high current capabilities of the welder, mainly the square wave (or sine, I can't remember) AC function to use the TIG for light gauge aluminium.

I see there's plenty of references to the welder with mention of "I believe it's been done" but would anyone have a link or information on the conversion itself?

Even a link to some other remote website would be helpful if there's a circuit and brief description of what needs to be done.

Thanks to the OP, it's nice to see people willing to share their brilliance though I have seen mention on other forums (with your replies) that it's not possible other than that other guy who hacked the things.
None of it looks hacked to me!
Old 10-13-2018, 09:26:21 PM
Registered

Oh, no edit function?

I should have mentioned it's the Lincoln IdealArc 250 series Arc/TIG unit.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:35:25 PM
eMail NOT Working

Well, if it has the figure-8 transformer core, and you can get a proper voltage match between the transformer's winding and your electric source, then it SHOULD work...
Do a web-search, see if you can find a manual or wiring diagram that matches YOUR machine... then send me a PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:57:48 AM
Subscriber

dKamp, I have replied twice via private message providing you with additional info on my engine, but not sure if you are getting it. Please let me know. Thanks
Old 07-01-2019, 08:00:02 AM
Registered

Hi dkamp,
Did IdealSpark eventually find his schematic digram and contact you?