Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler 12 RES Installation

this thread has 83 replies and has been viewed 1867 times

Old 12-14-2018, 10:51:32 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Kohler 12 RES Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
The scr is
Good now and Iím getting 131-133 volts between L0 and the breaker. I will test exciter voltage this pm, however, when I disconnect my contrived exciter circuit and let the board handle things the voltage goes back down to 55 displayed and
Etween L0 and the breaker. What is oncue? Is there a
Definitive Controller test?
Kinda makes me think this is a controller problem, but as Birken mentioned, the controller is an expansive part. I think itís in the $600-900 range. I only ever saw one controller failure. The local dealer doesnít even keep a stock of controllers, maybe only one or two, on the shelf.

OnCue is Kohlers web monitoring system for their residential generators. Itís a nice system to let you remotely monitor basic things (like on generator or not, and excercise runs and failures). Itís basic, but useful ó and free to use with their sets. You just need one of the controllers that supports it.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2018, 12:20:30 PM
Registered

I can get a controller for $579 so I think that's the route I'm going to take. GM49103 is the part number. I have $690 invested in this unit so it's not going to break the bank - the RDC switch cost more than the generator.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:26:29 PM
Registered-II

Just be sure youíve ruled out everything else first. You donít want to just randomly replace parts. You want to make sure youíve tested and verified each of the following first:
1- field winding
2- brushes and slip rings
3- SCR pack
4- stator
5- associated wiring and any inline fuses
6- DC power supply
7- controller

I think youíve done 1, 2, and 4. Youíve replaced the SCR pack, but it would be worth testing if someone knows the procedure (I donít have that info). 5 is easy and youíve probably done it already. 6 is also easy, just make sure everything that needs 12v DC is getting it while the unit is running. 7 should be your last step because itís both expensive, and not serviceable yourself (typically), and you have both Birken and myself who have said the controllers tend to not fail often.

Once youíre confident youíve verified everything is working except the controller, then you can be reasonably confident that ordering a new one is a good next step.

Bill
Old Yesterday, 09:56:30 AM
Registered

A generator repair person (who cannot make a house visit as he is too busy) agrees with you both saying the controller probably isn't the issue. He recommends checking the voltage on the sensing wires coming off the alternator (11/44) In the manual it says I should get about 30 VAC out of these. His feeling is a bad connection or broken wire that is not letting the controller know what the output voltage is. It's shutting down after producing 130 VAC. Of course we have a couple of inches of snow today so testing is ojut until it melts. I just hope the power lines can stand the strain.