Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

12.5 kva BENDIX 51B8-3 115/230 VAC GENERATOR

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 5549 times

Old 08-17-2015, 04:29:42 PM
Registered

Default 12.5 kva BENDIX 51B8-3 115/230 VAC GENERATOR

Does anyone have a wiring diagram, manuals, or any info on these military surplus generators?
I scoured the internet and only found one ref. in an old 1973 price guide spreadsheet listing cost of $6000-
thanks Alan
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2015, 11:49:58 PM
Registered-II

Location: Auburn, CA. in the Sierra-Nevada Foothills on the way to Reno
Default Re: 12.5 kva BENDIX 51B8-3 115/230 VAC GENERATOR

What is the NSN: 6115-? Should be on the name plate might also have the TM number for the set.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:49:46 PM
Registered

Alan,

The manual is available as a free download at:

www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-5-6115-434.12.pdf

It has a set of schematics for the power unit the generator was part of.

Quite a bit more than you want/need. I have sketched out a simplified version of the generator/regulator circuit. I can email you a powerpoint or JPEG version.

Make sure you get the regulator and the plug that mates with it. The plug for the generator is easier to find.

The generator is a 2 pole type, so you have to spin it at 3600 RPM. Probably not a bad choice since most engines develop max power at that speed. It originally was powered by a gas turbine.

The 24 spline shaft is difficult to find couplers for. You can use the pinion shaft coupler from a Jeep Wrangler JK with a Dana 44 rear end. You have to cut about .010" off the outside diameter of the generator spline. The stub shaft with the spline comes off the generator by taking out the cotter key locking the nut. Save the nut, spring, and washer. Use a carbide cutter in your lathe. The spline is hardened and will eat tool steel! Make light cuts and check the fit frequently. Once the diameter is right, the spline slides as smooth as silk.

I am planning to use an old brake disk off a 1993 Ford Aerostar to make a bearing support for the stub shaft that will be welded to the cut off Jeep spline.

Used Jeep pinion spline couplings should be available. The 4 wheelers like to replace them and the CV joint drive shaft with a heavy duty U joint drive shaft. Check the bone yards and 4 wheel off road shops.

I am planning to drive mine with the PTO shaft on my Excel Hustler 275 mower that has a Kohler K582 23 HP air cooled engine.

Hope to have it going by New year 2016.

Happy New Year,

Larry
The Following User Says Thank You to lbacker For This Post:
Old 02-13-2016, 10:24:45 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbacker View Post
Alan,

Quite a bit more than you want/need. I have sketched out a simplified version of the generator/regulator circuit. I can email you a powerpoint or JPEG version.

Make sure you get the regulator and the plug that mates with it. The plug for the generator is easier to find.

The generator is a 2 pole type, so you have to spin it at 3600 RPM. Probably not a bad choice since most engines develop max power at that speed. It originally was powered by a gas turbine.

The 24 spline shaft is difficult to find couplers for. You can use the pinion shaft coupler from a Jeep Wrangler JK with a Dana 44 rear end. You have to cut about .010" off the outside diameter of the generator spline. The stub shaft with the spline comes off the generator by taking out the cotter key locking the nut. Save the nut, spring, and washer. Use a carbide cutter in your lathe. The spline is hardened and will eat tool steel! Make light cuts and check the fit frequently. Once the diameter is right, the spline slides as smooth as silk.

I am planning to use an old brake disk off a 1993 Ford Aerostar to make a bearing support for the stub shaft that will be welded to the cut off Jeep spline.

Used Jeep pinion spline couplings should be available. The 4 wheelers like to replace them and the CV joint drive shaft with a heavy duty U joint drive shaft. Check the bone yards and 4 wheel off road shops.

I am planning to drive mine with the PTO shaft on my Excel Hustler 275 mower that has a Kohler K582 23 HP air cooled engine.

Happy New Year,

Larry
I saw your post about the Bendix 51b8-3 wiring diagram. Would you email me your simple diagram to connect the generator to the regulator. I am considering buying the generator from surplus center. Have you had yours running yet? Any problems that I should be aware of?

Thank you

John
Old 02-24-2016, 12:35:18 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgarbarino View Post
I saw your post about the Bendix 51b8-3 wiring diagram. Would you email me your simple diagram to connect the generator to the regulator. I am considering buying the generator from surplus center. Have you had yours running yet? Any problems that I should be aware of?

Thank you

John
Thank you for posting this information and the link for the manual. I would like to try to build a complete generator using your very helpful mechanical hints.

Please send a copy of your simplified version of the generator/regulator circuit.

Thanks.

Bob

Quote:
Alan,

Happy New Year,

Larry
Larry,

My reply to John was intended for you. (Sorry, I'm new to the site.)

Thank you for posting this information and the link for the manual. I would like to try to build a complete generator using your very helpful mechanical hints.

Please send a copy of your simplified version of the generator/regulator circuit.

Thanks.

Bob
Old 03-09-2016, 09:31:35 PM
Registered

did you have any luck putting this generator together , an can anyone send me the wire diagram an any other info that would be helpful , thank you for any help
Old 09-29-2016, 01:21:25 AM
Registered

Quote:
Alan,

Happy New Year,

Larry
I am new to this forum. I to would like your drawing for the voltage regulator for the
Bendix 51b8-3 generator. I tried the link for the tm but it did not work for me. If you can help me I would appreciate it. Thanks
Old 10-01-2017, 01:47:53 AM
Registered

Quote:
Alan,

Happy New Year,

Larry
Hi.. I also tried to download the free drawings for the generator/regulator I wish to build. But the down load didn't work. Did anyone have luck in doing so? Dave..
Old 03-25-2018, 02:16:08 AM
Registered

Hi..I have studied the schematic of the Bendix generator in TM-5-6115-434-12 in detail and have concluded that the generator and the regulator as sold by Surplus Center will not work properly or at all. The regulator requires a Protection Panel Box external to the regulator to provide the following. An over speed sensor, under speed sensor, over current sensor and an anti cycle lockout 1 sec delay. These sensors input to the regulator to make it work properly. Also I believe there is a servo mechanism that as the load on the generator increases will load down the engine so the throttle needs to advance to maintain a true 60Hz output.

The protective panel part # is 694210-2 made by Honeywell for the Bendix Generator 51B8-3. I have searched on line and can not find any info about it.

Additionally you need the cable to connect the generator, regulator and the protection panel.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:36:25 AM
Registered

I am posting the simplified diagram. Hope this helps. Sorry I have taken so long to get back to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Regulator schematic.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	322235