Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

Lubricity Issues? MEP vs Commercial Diesel Unit

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 774 times

Old 10-08-2018, 09:43:30 AM
Registered

Default Lubricity Issues? MEP vs Commercial Diesel Unit

Good morning, all....first post to the forum, although I've been gathering info for awhile.

My question, for the clearly knowledgeable folks here, is that of lubricity. I'm decided to upgrade my Briggs 8KW gas generator, to be replaced with a diesel unit of some description. One of the reasons for doing so is access to a cheap, dependable source of Jet-A.

I know that the MEP802/3 are certified for JP8, the military equivalent of Jet-A, so shouldn't be a problem. I"m looking for information about 'do it, don't do it, do it this way' running Jet-A in, for example, an Onan-type genset. I would also welcome feedback of the dependability of each type (MEP vs. commercial) of genset.

I did a site search here on lubricity, and found nothing helpful. What say ye?

Thanks in advance!

Jim
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2018, 08:42:35 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Lubricity Issues?....MEP vs Commercial Diesel Unit

Am not an expert, but have both MEP-802 and MEP-002s. On a military generator forum I read US forces used russian diesel/jet fuel in afganistan sometimes when it was what they had. Other times they used Jet-whatever. (I think spec plate on 002 mentions Jet-4 or something) Some of the units I've seen on auction had over 5,000 hours before depot service, still running, and am pretty sure they got no lubricity additives. Not that it would hurt to add a little to your tank.

A 002 has the same motor as the DJ series Onans, and the 802 runs a ListerPetter LPW2, which I think is speced for diesel. The MEPs do have redundant fuel pumps and much more fuel filter capacity than most civilian rigs, perhaps for a good reason. Don't know if that helps.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:55:18 PM
Email NOT Working

The military can afford to replace pumps and injectors whenever they break due to jet fuel. They are not concerned about long life of anything. It is doubtful there are any parts different because of jet fuel.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:50:14 AM

Thanked 1,833 Times in 1,197 Posts
Talking Re: Lubricity Issues?....MEP vs Commercial Diesel Unit

I run JetA-50 (#1 Diesel low Sulfur) in my pair of 20Kw Northern Lights Gensets, and have for the last 30 years, with NO ISSUES... The previous pair that these two replaced were retired when the both had 66K operational hours on them, and the two I currently run are at 20k operational hours, all on the same fuel type.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:00:24 PM
Registered

Thank you all for the replies!

The logic seems sound that the military may not do anything different to run jet fuel in their MEPs...I understand that their overhaul cycle is 4000 hours on the units. Is that high, low, or indifferent?

Ideally, I'd like something in the 5kW range to keep fuel consumption down. BTPost....I had someone else tell me the Northern Lights units are awsome also...would love to find one of them.

Don't know if this should be a different topic or not, but here goes. I see that Generac makes a construction-grade diesel....6864 XD5000E. Yanmar diesel (3600), pressure lube, little oil filter, 16 gallon tank. I'm looking at a $4k MEP803 (10kW, .9 gph), the little Generac is 5kW, .5 gph). Anyone care to opine on those options, or hopefully offer another? Total newbie....all thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

Jim

Oops...don't know how to edit a post. The Generac is $3500 on Amazon.

Jim
Old 10-09-2018, 09:40:47 PM
Email NOT Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazam View Post
The logic seems sound that the military may not do anything different to run jet fuel in their MEPs...I understand that their overhaul cycle is 4000 hours on the units. Is that high, low, or indifferent?

Ideally, I'd like something in the 5kW range to keep fuel consumption down. BTPost....I had someone else tell me the Northern Lights units are awsome also...would love to find one of them.

Don't know if this should be a different topic or not, but here goes. I see that Generac makes a construction-grade diesel....6864 XD5000E. Yanmar diesel (3600), pressure lube, little oil filter, 16 gallon tank. I'm looking at a $4k MEP803 (10kW, .9 gph), the little Generac is 5kW, .5 gph). Anyone care to opine on those options, or hopefully offer another? Total newbie....all thoughts are welcome.
4000 hours is nothing for an 1800 RPM diesel. We commonly see them go 20,000 and they are not even getting worn out then.

I no longer care for those Onan/Listers. Too many issues and support is drying up fast.

5kw, you will not find anything using a reliable engine. They are all 3600 RPM toys at that level. The smallest 1800 RPM you can find is about 1.3 liter 3 cylinder in diesel these days. Kubota, Isuzu/Yanmar, Perkins, pick which one has the best dealer network to you. Something like this would do nicely.

http://www.multiquip.com/multiquip/DCA10SPXU4C.htm
Old 10-09-2018, 10:24:19 PM
Registered

Nice unit!....but $14k and change is a bit out of my price range :-)

Someone posted this to the site recently....it's just a couple Counties away from me. Comments??

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181514

..and please be gentle if that's a stupid question. When I started this journey, my biggest qualification was that I could SPELL generator :-)

Jim
Old 10-09-2018, 11:17:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,455 Posts
Default Re: Lubricity Issues? MEP vs Commercial Diesel Unit

You should describe how you will be using the generator. How many hours per year? Will it be mobile or stationary? What is the load?
Old 10-10-2018, 06:28:50 PM
Registered

That makes perfect sense, Jim M!

Essentially, this will be just a back-up generator for our house. Ironically, in the 7 years we've had the current generator, the power has not been off long enough to use it.

I like to plan ahead, and see the aging of our national electrical infrastructure as an issue, and potential for weather-related and intentional interruptions as increasing. So, the short answer to how many hours a year is hopefully just for maintenance.

The longer, more involved story, involves a possible movement to solar and wind power for the house, and the use of the generator as a back-up for that process. We use between 900-1000 kwh a month at the house, which is totally reliant on electric....no LP or natural gas in place.

No need for the unit to be particularly mobile, once sited.

Thanks!

Jim
Old 10-11-2018, 07:33:36 AM
Registered-II

I like my MEPs for similar use. Yes they are "overly complicated" due to ability to go from 1-3 phase, and parts are not around the corner, but can be found.

I don't know if I would recommend to someone if they were not interested in learning how to service them themselves, but you'll have a hard time finding quality, lower hours, 5 or 10 KW 1,800 RPM machines that kind of money.

All the manuals, plus some pretty good advice available the ss auxiliary equipment forum.