Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Chain Saw Collectors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Chain Saw Collectors Vintage chainsaws and other air cooled gas engine saws, collecting and restoring.

Chain Saw Collectors

Old McCulloch chain saw ID

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 8562 times

Old 09-25-2010, 08:00:59 PM
Registered-II

Default Old McCulloch chain saw ID

An old chain saw followed me home today and I was hoping I could gather a little more info on it. I can't find any # on it but it's been painted many times. On first check it looks to be a McCulloch 3-25. It looks like they made a few variations of this model year. Thanks for your help. I'm really not into chainsaws but I didn't want it to be scraped, anyone interested?
RJ
The Following User Says Thank You to RJAaaaaa For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2010, 09:05:08 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Old McCulloch chain saw ID

The 3-25 was one of the early one-man saws built by McCulloch Corp in los Angeles, Ca. The 3 stood for 3 hp and the 25 meant 25 lbs. These saws were relatively sucessful, but were quite tempermental and a large part of that was due to the design of their carburtors. It looked like a piece of worm-eaten wood with a diaphragm in it for controlling the fuel flow. The diaphragms always got saturated and sagged which made the saw flood while running. The high speed adjustment needle was unique in these saws,(the 4-30 and 4-30A were just later models) because you could pull down on the lever that you moved back and forth and get another bite on the screw to turn it in or out for a leaner or richer mixture as required. The saws had a rotary valve intake system and as soon as it wore some the saw got meaner and meaner to crank. The magneto was timed by placing a 1/4" pin in a hole in the flywheel through the housing and a continuity tester to see when the exact moment the points opened to produce a spark. They had their place in the scheme of things but were a real night mare to keep running. The best thing to do with this sa now is to make a shelf ornament with it. The flying goose on the tanks were always nice looking. There was an optional shoulder harness for these saws. One logger here expressed it by saying he needed 3. One in the woods, one in the truck going to the shop and one in the shop. I worked with McCullochs when a few of those were still around and was glad to see them finally get scrapped. McCulloch was an innovative company and was ahead of the industry lots of times and as soon as an idea worked all the other brands made the change to that sort of thing and if it failed, they quickly trumpeted the failure. The competition usually stayed with the tried and true and let McCulloch do most of the venturing out on the limb of unknown.The company was also a world leader in Go-Kart racing engines for many years as long as the 2 cycle engines were used.