Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Curator at Large

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 1559 times

Old 07-31-2017, 11:17:29 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 24,430 Times in 6,050 Posts
Default Curator at Large

I was honoured last week to be visited by Randy Kvill, the Curator, Agriculture and Industry from the amazing Reynolds-Alberta Museum of Wetaskiwin, Alberta, and a fellow Stakker.
We fired up the 1913 GS&M Ideal tractor, and Mr. Kvill had the opportunity to take her for a run. Unfortunately, I am rather boxed in these days by soybeans and the neighbour's equipment, so it was not much of a play area.
The Ideal started right up, as usual, and ran steadily for an hour or so while Mr. Kvill was in attendance.
His museum has a similar tractor in its collection, although it needs considerable work to be operating again. I think Mr. Kvill left Ontario with a renewed interest in that project! (and please don't forget the 32 Abell!)
It was great having you here Randy, and I appreciate all the help you have given me in the past. Drop back any time.
Also, all are welcome.
RM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03441.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	287587   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03443.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	287588   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03445.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	287589   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03447.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	287590  

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2017, 12:16:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,187 Times in 1,041 Posts
Default Re: Curator at Large

That is such a cool tractor, I always love seeing pictures of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tanner Remillard For This Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 06:48:12 PM
Subscriber

One of my all time favorite tractors!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Best For This Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 08:51:07 PM
Subscriber

I never realized the tractor was that large physically. How tall are the drive wheels?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Blaney For This Post:
Old 08-01-2017, 09:32:14 PM
Subscriber

Mr. Blaney,
Taller than Mr. Kvill!
I'll have to measure them as I forget.

I get 68x24 rears - plus the height of the lugs, and 43x10 fronts plus the height of the skid ring..

Last edited by G Willikers; 08-02-2017 at 01:25:33 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 08-02-2017, 08:54:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,230 Times in 884 Posts

I once found a video long ago of someone starting one and of it running but I can't find it now. I wonder if I still have it somewhere? Sounded so cool!

Edit: Found the portable video, but not the tractor.
Ideal Portable

Last edited by Brasherman; 08-02-2017 at 08:56:49 PM. Reason: Additional info
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brasherman For This Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 12:53:17 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,792 Times in 1,352 Posts

Maybe the next pictures you take of this tractor could be at Steam Era this weekend for the Canada 150 feature display.It could be the oldest piece their?.Uncle G don't be shy after all it is Canada's 150th it should really be their i would think....See ya at the show this weekend

Last edited by casertractor; 08-30-2017 at 01:04:50 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:33:59 PM
Subscriber

I'll go into the shop tomorrow and pet the old girl, coo into her carburetor horn, fondle her grease cups, check her fluids, and see how she feels about leaving the property. She is a shy old girl and a real homebody.
She is an old Prairie Princess and might feel antsy down in the big city of Milton. She still misses the wide open spaces of Manitoba, and the swish of Canada No. 1 Hard against her underside.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 01:37:21 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
I'll go into the shop tomorrow and pet the old girl, coo into her carburetor horn, fondle her grease cups, check her fluids, and see how she feels about leaving the property. She is a shy old girl and a real homebody.
She is an old Prairie Princess and might feel antsy down in the big city of Milton. She still misses the wide open spaces of Manitoba, and the swish of Canada No. 1 Hard against her underside.
BS..... get some life insurance on the old gal and get her to Milton ASAP
The Following User Says Thank You to casertractor For This Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 02:03:24 PM
Registered-III

Quote:

If you don't feel safe trucking it by land we can always send one of these.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Helicopter.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	289857  
Old 08-30-2017, 02:16:57 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,481 Times in 2,372 Posts

I too don't like to allow just anyone to move my toys, seen too many so called experts tear up things cause they either don't know better or don't give a crap. I well recall this old girl when it was at John's, always lusted for such a rare bird.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:36:31 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by casertractor View Post
Get some life insurance on the old gal and get her to Milton.
Okay, I was up to the shed and had a chat with her. I talked quietly to her, rubbed some fresh oil on her big jugs, cleaned a bit of grease off her ample rear end, and lubricated that special spot by the governor. I even rolled her over so she could feel the spark inside her belly.
Alas, it was all to no avail. She whispered back to me that she was so happy in her simple lodgings, and enjoyed our occasional outings through the lovely fields.
She said that she is a homebody now, and reminisced about the great journeys of her past. That trip by train from Brantford to Grandview was a wonderful experience. Later, she worried that her days were numbered until the museum rescued her from Manitoba and took her on a highway ride to Saskatchewan. There was another truck ride to Crosby,her first ever trip to a different country, and yet another to Fillmore. It was at Fillmore that she began to know that she had a bright future. From there, she endured an epic journey in sleet and snow, a final truck ride that brought her full circle to within 10 miles of where she was born.
She did say to me that maybe next summer, after the wheat is harvested, I can invite my friends over and she will cheerfully leave the shop and test out her legs. She might even consent to some ploughing, just for old times sake. She said I could get some pop and chips, maybe even some roasted chicken, and we could all have a meal in her honour.
A fellow cannot argue with the ladies. Just go with the flow, and life will be wonderful.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 12:14:44 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Okay, I was up to the shed and had a chat with her. I talked quietly to her, rubbed some fresh oil on her big jugs, cleaned a bit of grease off her ample rear end, and lubricated that special spot by the governor. I even rolled her over so she could feel the spark inside her belly.
Alas, it was all to no avail. She whispered back to me that she was so happy in her simple lodgings, and enjoyed our occasional outings through the lovely fields.
She said that she is a homebody now, and reminisced about the great journeys of her past. That trip by train from Brantford to Grandview was a wonderful experience. Later, she worried that her days were numbered until the museum rescued her from Manitoba and took her on a highway ride to Saskatchewan. There was another truck ride to Crosby,her first ever trip to a different country, and yet another to Fillmore. It was at Fillmore that she began to know that she had a bright future. From there, she endured an epic journey in sleet and snow, a final truck ride that brought her full circle to within 10 miles of where she was born.
She did say to me that maybe next summer, after the wheat is harvested, I can invite my friends over and she will cheerfully leave the shop and test out her legs. She might even consent to some ploughing, just for old times sake. She said I could get some pop and chips, maybe even some roasted chicken, and we could all have a meal in her honour.
A fellow cannot argue with the ladies. Just go with the flow, and life will be wonderful.

So how did the tractor get back to Ontario and to you ? Fly?.I hear Jamie M has his wings now so you should be ok.We could always send a hovercraft over to get it Too!
Old 08-31-2017, 12:41:43 PM
Registered-III

Ok if you wont atleast bring the tractor i hope you would consider bringing your golf cart again this year.... I really liked the colour when i seen it last year at the show....it just needs a few Eagle tractor decals to make it compleat

See ya at the show Rick Kelly
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Uncle G's Golf Cart.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	289930  

Last edited by casertractor; 08-31-2017 at 12:53:07 PM.