Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Cletrac HG 68

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2412 times

Old 01-30-2013, 01:12:47 AM
Registered-I

Default Cletrac HG 68

ive recently purchased 2 hg 68 crawlers and am putting them back together they were COMPLETELY disassembled for restorations and when i bought them they were literally in boxes neither tractor has a serial # tag on the bellhousing or frame? i am putting the first one together it was painted yellow too? i am new to oliver crawlers but i do have a few bf avery's with the same ixb hercules engines so im not too worried about the engine side of the work but i am running into a few part situations such as the old style u-Joints for the driveshaft are they available? also the crawler i am working on first does not have an oil filter???? After looking at my BF Avery that i had one oil line goes to a tee at block and oil filter gauge and the other line from the filter hiusing goes to the front of the governor but my governor isnt set up like this either, so i was wondering if some of these little crawlers didnt have an oil filtration system other than the screen in the base of the oil pan? thank you folks for any information you can help with..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resampled_2013-01-27_15-10-38_216.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	156495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resampled_2013-01-27_15-12-04_294.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	156496   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-27_15-12-47_637.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	156497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resampled_2013-01-27_15-12-32_521.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	156498  

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 01:17:07 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Cletrac HG 68

more pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resampled_2013-01-27_15-10-54_305.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	156499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resampled_2013-01-27_15-11-13_434.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	156500   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resampled_2013-01-27_15-11-32_599.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	156501   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-27_15-12-10_429.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	156502  

Old 01-30-2013, 02:10:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,230 Times in 884 Posts

One set of sprockets is quite trashed! At least the green ones are good looking compared to the rusty yellow ones. Landis Zimmerman is the name that most often comes up in relation to these little crawlers.

Zimmerman Oliver-Cletrac

I suppose if anyone knows, someone there might. Good luck, looks like you have your work cut out for you! At least you have two to start with.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:48:15 PM
Registered

Hey all,
I am by default acquiring a Cleo HG. I have over 200 hours of work invested in this little cutie, and am wondering what valuation it might have. I offered to settle my bill for $1500 + parts, and the owner feels that is unfair!
This unit ran pretty well, after a minimal amount of work, but had many, many band aid repairs and "bird crap" welds. The frame was broke into three pieces and all eight bolts securing the trans/diff assembly to the frame were broke off in the holes. I spent over $200.00 on grade eight hardware and burned over 30# of 7014/7018 rod to straighten this thing out. Not to mention all the broken and burned drill bits, but I did succeed in cleaning, chasing and lockitite-ing ALL eight!
This unit has a blade assembly added to it, as well as a hyd pump, cylinder and control valve, BIG mistake, in my opinion. These units were designed to pull, ONLY! A mechanical mule, so to speak, with a woefully weak frame design!
I've done my best to bring this unit back to original condition with only minor reinforcements to the frame. Only thing remaining to do are cosmetics, paint. It has a new Tillotson carb, newer 12V battery and an alternator, Delco starting motor, and as mentioned, it really does run great and start easily.
Any opinions as to possible valuation would be greatly appreciated! My understanding is that there is a good "cult" following of these units.
Thanks, Andy.

---------- Post added at 11:48:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42:55 AM ----------

Sorry, I forgot to mention, it is a 42" model.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:21:39 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,815 Times in 930 Posts

I'm curious to know what happened to the original post from d21. The wide gauge is probably a 72" wide unit. There is a lot of potential for both of those tractors. The 72" is a fairly unusual find since most were the more common 68".
As to the recent post it sounds like you did a great deal of work on the frame. The cracks in the center of the frame are quite common because the engine and trans are only connected by a flexible drive shaft. That shaft is made so the 2 u-joints can slide into the middle to be removed. The hardened steel cups on the u-joints were also the same as some Model A Fords and are pretty much bullet proof. Please post specific questions and we will try to answer them. Also check out my thread "Bullet Proof OC-3" which may answer some of your questions. Ed B
Old 09-08-2017, 01:13:30 AM
Registered

Hi Ed,
and thanks for the reply.
My only query is as to a possible valuation. As previously stated, I preformed a lot of work on this unit and am going to have to sell it to recoup some of my cash out lays as well as labor. Too bad this jackass customer/friend thinks $7.50 / hr for my talent and experience is unreasonable. I've also offered to exchange guns, ammo, gold, silver, and his specialty (audio gear) in trade, but it seems I'm unreasonable!
Ya, I dig old steel, I'm a mechanic of 40+ years, and no slouch with a welder who has never owned a "hot rod". My first car was a 64 Catalina w/389 2 bbl, that was fast enough for me! Never felt the need for more HP. But, I have bills to pay and that is more pressing than another piece of steel. And, friends like that are not a necessity nor wanted.
I understand that I am asking for speculation, sight unseen. Just an informed opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Andy.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:52:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 24,430 Times in 6,050 Posts

Not to stray from the focus of this thread, but when did Oliver stop making tractors at the former Cletrac works in Cleveland?
Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 08:34:31 AM
Registered-III

When White Motor purchased Oliver in 1960 the Factory in Cleveland was not included in the deal. Production of crawlers in Cleveland for White stopped in 1961 and later production of the OC 4 & OC9 was continued in Charles City.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Schwiebert For This Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 09:47:50 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,815 Times in 930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJamie View Post
Hi Ed,
and thanks for the reply.
My only query is as to a possible valuation. As previously stated, I preformed a lot of work on this unit and am going to have to sell it to recoup some of my cash out lays as well as labor. Too bad this jackass customer/friend thinks $7.50 / hr for my talent and experience is unreasonable. I've also offered to exchange guns, ammo, gold, silver, and his specialty (audio gear) in trade, but it seems I'm unreasonable!
Ya, I dig old steel, I'm a mechanic of 40+ years, and no slouch with a welder who has never owned a "hot rod". My first car was a 64 Catalina w/389 2 bbl, that was fast enough for me! Never felt the need for more HP. But, I have bills to pay and that is more pressing than another piece of steel. And, friends like that are not a necessity nor wanted.
I understand that I am asking for speculation, sight unseen. Just an informed opinion would be greatly appreciated.
Andy.
Dear Andy It would be very difficult to give any Idea of value without seeing the actual machine. That means you need to post at least 8 pictures showing each side of the tractor and a few closeups of engine and frame fix area. I hope you are able to do this because without them we cannot give even a guess as to value. I have purchased many OC's over the years and have paid from $50 up too $1500 but all were unrestored and not in running condition. Ed B
Old 09-09-2017, 12:29:35 PM
Registered

Ed,
thanks for the reply. I understand that you do not wish to blindly speculate. I can and will post some photos. It is kind of a pain, using Wifey's phone. I do not even have a land line or a smell phone. It's a personal choice.
The unit in question is, as I understand, an HG, with a water pump, as opposed to convection cooling. That allegedly narrows down the year. It has neither the frame, nor the engine data plate. Why someone would remove both is beyond me, other than a damn thief... and that ain't me!
The only obvious flaw is two different width cleats, one side is 6", the other is 8, perhaps 8 and 12, I don't recall at the moment. That tells me it was worn out and patched together.
This unit runs great, after cleaning out the fuel tank, replacing the sediment bowl, and burnishing the mag points. It had many, many half assed frame repairs, plate upon plate of steel, attached with welds that looked like a pigeon craped on it! That is why I have 200+ hours and about 30#'s of rod into it. I took the time to disassemble, clean and repair, replace ALL hardware with grade 8, and lock-tite on the eight bolts into the trans/diff assembly. All 8 of them were broken off in the housing, only the U-bolts were attaching the diff to the frame! I resealed the hyd pump and replaced the suction and return hoses. Oddly, the pressure hoses were good.
Again, thanks for the reply, I'll try and get some photos up soon.
Andy.