Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Fordson F Second Gear Problem

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 323 times

Old 09-13-2017, 01:19:25 PM
Registered

Default Fordson F Second Gear Problem

I have a question for the Fordson experts. My '25 F is often very hard to shift out of second gear. I have to let out on the clutch a little, pulling forward slightly, several times before it will shift back into neutral. I've also noticed that it howls more in 2nd than the other gears, which I assume is due to more wear on the "plowing gear". To be clear, the clutch seems to work great; it always stops when pressed and goes when let up. So, the tractor stops moving in second when the clutch is pressed. I just can't shift to neutral from second without the above process. Thoughts? So far this hasn't been a big problem; I just make sure that I don't pull right up to an obstruction when in second.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2017, 02:08:25 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,338 Times in 3,461 Posts
Default Re: Fordson F Second Gear Problem

Worn bearings or shifter shoes/links would be my guess. Enough lube in the box - right weight? As you think, if the tractor has a lot of belt or accessory time, could be worn gear teeth too. Only a teardown will tell. Any metal in the gear lube?
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 04:26:19 PM
Registered

Andrew - It has new Mobile 600w to the top of the filler. It did not have any large metal in the trans when drained, but I didn't check for filings.

---------- Post added at 03:26:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25:14 PM ----------

Yes, my Mobil is Mobile. Oops.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:11:43 PM
Subscriber

Nik, I would first remove the shifter and check the forks for bends, damage and ease of operation. Then you can check the collar and the gear visually. Even if the plow gear is worn it should slide freely on the splin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butch Howe For This Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 11:11:44 PM
Registered-I

I'm wondering if its the spline that's worn and locking the collar to the shaft if there's any clutch or oil drag? Does it shift easy in and out with the engine off? Does it make any difference if you rock the engine or tractor ahead or back? I would think it may lock in the drive direction and come out easy in the coast direction if its a wear issue good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to AngrySailor For This Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 09:30:14 PM
Registered

All good thoughts. It can get stuck with the engine off I believe, but I haven't tested that theory too much. I think I'll start by taking the shifter cover off and seeing what I can see. As an aside, I assume there's nothing to be done about the typical Fordson howl other than an extensive trans rebuild, right?
Old 09-14-2017, 09:52:23 PM

Thanked 18,903 Times in 5,590 Posts

^ They didn't earn the "Fordson Growler" nick name for nothing.......