Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Another Twin City

this thread has 129 replies and has been viewed 11385 times

Old 02-07-2016, 11:30:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,520 Times in 492 Posts
Default Another Twin City

I went to my uncles' place today to get some pictures of the 17-28 still in the barn, and lo and behold he had pulled it out already. He wasn't home and with some wind today the hood blew off so i put it back on.
He bought this tractor at a farm sale in 1973 when i was 14 years old. Some time later i tried to talk him into letting me get it running for him and he always was too busy. He did get it running once after changing out the head and tinkering with it, but it never ran for long. He got the water pump rebuilt but never put water in it. I even bought decals for it around 1983 and gave him a reprint manual.
I bugged him about it for years, finally gave up as i had other projects. He decided to have a sale and move to town, so at the last family reunion he told me to make an offer on it and he would sell it to me prior to the sale, but he wanted to put it out in the yard for advertising. He jokingly told me anything would be profit over what he paid, 50 dollars. I told him it was worth well over that now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00750.JPG
Views:	615
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	245842   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00745.JPG
Views:	541
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	245843   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00747.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	245844   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00743.JPG
Views:	553
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	245845  

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2016, 12:58:25 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,422 Times in 600 Posts
Default Re: Another twin

Russ... Glad to see you got one! Your 17-28 is slightly newer than mine. Your tractor is very similar to mine except yours is more of a transition unit exhibiting some but not all of the improvements for the 1927 year. Per the parts book the serial number on this one should fall between 21546 and 22809. I'll be looking forward to the future updates!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Schneider For This Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 01:08:39 AM
Subscriber

Yep, serial number 22507.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 11:38:30 AM
Subscriber

Are gaskets sourceable? I know i'm jumping the gun as the sale isn't until May, but.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:11:46 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,433 Times in 1,100 Posts

Nice tractor, Russ! I will be following this thread with great interest. I have #20763 and #25506.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:17:11 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hamm View Post
Are gaskets sourceable? I know i'm jumping the gun as the sale isn't until May, but.
Russ...If you are looking for something to putz with you could remove the governor assembly as I can see that it needs repair. Something is wrong with the inner plunger shaft and you will have to address this before you can run the engine anyway. Removal of the governor shouldn't affect the ability of the Twin City to draw in the hordes for your uncle's sale!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Russ 17-28 001D.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	245873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Twin City 17-28 084D.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	245874  
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Schneider For This Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 03:32:53 PM
Subscriber

Did you see that flatbar spring on the linkage? I was wondering about that, these are new to me completely. Thats all for your threads, they will help out a lot.
From what i can remember, this tractor sat outside at the original owners' farm with a piece of inner tube in between the head and block. The engine never stuck this way, but the head was rusted through on the side out of the water jacket.
I bought my first tractor from this uncle, a 22-36 IH. I paid him payments and when the last 50 dollars were due i found him a good head at Garfield, Kansas to pay him off. Over the years he ended up with another head yet, and another manifold which looks later model. This manifold has been cut and welded to turn up. This tractor also had an International vortex air cleaner on it , but unc found the one that is on it minus the stack. Is that air cleaner right?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:12:02 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hamm View Post
Is that air cleaner right?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1929-Twin-Ci...oAAOSw1ZBUsCx1

Russ... buy one of these and you can answer your own question. I bought one when I started on my 17-28 and it was the best 20 bucks I spent on the project. I liked the spiral binding because it lays flat and it was cheap enough that I could smudge up the pages and not have to break out into a cold sweat doing it.

You will find it very useful.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:14:26 AM
Subscriber

Well, i did it. And it was a little more expensive than some that have sold recently, but i guess two of us got caught up in the bidding. Got it home yesterday and did some evaluating.
Uncle told me before the sale that he thought something was still wrong with the second head he put on it and that the third head i picked up for him years ago was on a pallet with some other parts some distance from the tractors. I bought that head and those parts for 10 dollars, that head cost me 50 dollars some years ago.
This may be my last tractor for my collection, those that i'm gonna keep. It was the first one i wanted to buy around 43 years ago, and ended up buying my first tractor from this same uncle 10 years later in 1983. So i thought it right that keeping at least the first and last with thier stories would suit me.
I knew that uncle had sold this tractor at auction once before, but this weekend the son of the buyer finally told me the rest of the story. His dad bought the tractor for 80 dollars and my uncle thought that wasn't enough so he bought it back. This saturday that same man bought my uncle's WC Allis all these years later.
I got the original operators and parts manuals with it and found some invoices for parts and repairs. It was overhauled at the Chevrolet garage in Hillsboro Kansas ion 1940.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 12:31:12 PM
Subscriber

Sometimes when i'm working on something that doesn't go well i stop and go work on my older tractors for therapy.
Yesterday i was working on the injection pump on my loader tractor and almost burned up the starter trying to bleed it, so.......i pulled the head off the 17-28. Valves don't look that bad so far, some guides had been replaced. Cylinder walls need honed and i'm sure to put new rings in it, i will have to pull the pistons and rods yet.
My uncle used Permatex on the head gaskets. You know, the gaskets are pretty clean but the block and head surfaces are going to need scraped. Whne the head started coming loose i could smell that Permatex smell and knew right away what he had done. Thats a smell you won't forget. Rocker arms need reworked, some jamb nuts are on the top of the arm, some on the bottom. Noticed some dents in the valve cover from the rockers hitting sometime in the past. Looks like uncle did the long bolt and flatwasher stack farmer repair here and there.
Pics to follow.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 11-01-2016, 08:56:51 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Another Twin City

I found the Tony T TC newbies belt pulley test on an earlier thread yesterday and decided to try it. Low gear had almost a full turn, high had less than a half and reverse had less than a half. Considerably less with the clutch engaged, i'll have to evaluate all that in the coming months. I wondered how this all panned out on concrete as sometimes i caught myself moving the tractor a tad. Anyways, i noticed the clutch is much like an L Case, and NO mice in the housing. The barn cats hadn't done thier job keeping the mice out of the cooling system as uncle Dan had left the upper hose casting unbolted on the front of the head, somehow the mice themselves had laid down on the job of populating the clutch housing.
Moisture got into the head and barely rusted the valves on two cylinders.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	267065   Click image for larger version

Name:	015.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	267066   Click image for larger version

Name:	018.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	267067   Click image for larger version

Name:	019.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	267068  

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 11-01-2016, 02:00:56 PM
Subscriber

Looks like the bracket at the end of the governor could use replaced. I'm thinking may need to fabricate a replacement. The inner arm is broken.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	017.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	267079  
Old 11-01-2016, 06:07:39 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,433 Times in 1,100 Posts

That pivot bracket seems to be broken on many of these. I need a couple of them. They are pot metal and not a very good alloy. Most don't weld very well and I weld lots of pot metal pieces. I'm going to investigate having some re-cast in aluminum or bronze.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:18:17 PM
Subscriber

I would be interested, i can fab up a good piece, even out of aluminum if i have to, ive been working with aluminum for a long time. I thought steel would be an option if it was light enough.
Sometimes the originality of my antiques depends on how the wife thinks it should be presented, and that opinion generally relates directly to money.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:01:06 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Johnson View Post
That pivot bracket seems to be broken on many of these I'm going to investigate having some re-cast in aluminum or bronze.
Phil...If you have new ones made I need one for sure for the 20-35.

Russ...the visuals of your governor tell me that you will be making some pieces. I have a hard time believing that it worked at all with the modifications that were made to it. There must be no spring left on the inside.
Operation wise the Twin City governor would be similar to the stock 15-30 McCormick Deering units. They only governed at the rated engine rpm ie wide open throttle.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:58:56 AM
Subscriber

The other thing Tony T mentioned on an earlier thread was drawbar inspection. Yessir, this one is bent and worn. Lugs had been replaced with ones that do not fit completely, some are on where they hang over the side of the rim a bit. The right front wheel has the inner edge worn thin from the plow furrow, yep, this one lead a plow around many hours.
I patched the fender together several months ago just so it wouldn't hang loose for now.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:05:01 AM
Subscriber

Forgot the pictures.
Check out how many different positions the air cleaner stack had on the hood.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	267131   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	267132   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	267133   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	267134  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 11-02-2016, 09:08:23 PM
Subscriber

Other than the governor the fuel system on this tractor appears relatively unmolested which doesn't provide an easy explanation for the extra holes in the hood. The air cleaner is a TW554A which is correct for this serial number range when the Holley carb is used. The only piece I see missing is the tin cover for the cast iron heat stove that surrounds the air horn.
The fender looks quite a bit better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Schneider For This Post:
Old 11-03-2016, 01:59:49 AM
Registered-I

Maybe it just needed a replacement hood and what you have is just what was available.
The Following User Says Thank You to gootsch For This Post:
Old 11-03-2016, 08:54:03 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider View Post
Other than the governor the fuel system on this tractor appears relatively unmolested which doesn't provide an easy explanation for the extra holes in the hood. The air cleaner is a TW554A which is correct for this serial number range when the Holley carb is used. The only piece I see missing is the tin cover for the cast iron heat stove that surrounds the air horn.
The fender looks quite a bit better.
It had a McCormick Deering air cleaner 'fitted' on it when Uncle Dan bought it, seems like that happened to several others iv'e seen. Uncle found that air cleaner somewhere, his memory is slipping lately.
The carb needs bushings and shafts pretty badly, looks like that would be a good winter project when i'm waiting on someting else.
I drained the oil last night, as i said before Dan said he had it running a while back and i found it had VERY clean oil in it and saved most. It didn't look like he pulled the pan and cleaned it though, something i will sure do as the oil system will need flushed and i'm going to remove the pistons.
I have yet to find the oil capacity, i saved 14 quarts and wasted one or two.