Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Another Twin City

this thread has 91 replies and has been viewed 7783 times

Old 01-04-2017, 09:52:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,394 Times in 587 Posts
Default Re: Another Twin City

.Hi Russ...I'm pretty sure that your illustration depicts what would be called a normal oiling system. The main oil galley is drilled from one end of the block to the other and pressurizes the 3 lateral galleries that feed the main bearings. Note the position of the main oil gallery...it is shown above the mounting legs on the block. One depicting the trough method should be at the pan line below the legs.

From the clues I can piece together the oil pressure inlet gallery on yours is probably only drilled to the first lateral gallery that feeds the front main. From there it drops down and pressurizes the trough and feeds the 2nd and 3rd laterals from the bottom of the block. You can verify this by removing the pressure port fitting and running a slender rod into the oil gallery. If it only goes in a little ways we've figured it out. Where abouts is the the port for the oil pressure indicator located?

There were 1293 motors thus equipped and fortunately the engineering department scrapped the idea and went back to the original plan. There is a couple of risks involved here. One is the rupturing of the paper gasket on the inside of the pan and the subsequent oil pressure loss. The other is the disintegration of the paper gasket where it bridges the trough with the possibility of sending debris into the oil galleries.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Schneider For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2017, 11:48:22 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,382 Times in 444 Posts

I think you are right again Mark, and i'll sure check that out as i need to clean the passages as much as possible. I remember the gasket had lived well, just couldn't remember the three holes in it. I do remember finding the pan trough when i cleaned off the gasket as it stuck to the pan instead of the block.
The oil pressure line came off an elbow at the left rear of the block, if i remember right it was in the left rear engine mount area because i took the elbow out while i was prying the engine forward to pull it thinking i might break it off.
Tonight i noticed i was wrong about the wrist pin bushings and need to look into replacing them, two do have a little more play than the other two. Iv'e seen worse, but they are out of the block and easy enough to make and replace.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 10:55:52 AM
Registered-II

I'm still waiting on wrist pin bushings for the 17-28, an old friend and retired machinist is working on it, he just can't be rushed and thats okay with me. Well, i got into a garage project which basically is near completed, about the time of my last post my Father was having some health problems.
Don't wait to tell folks things you want to tell them.

Durham – Larry Lee Hamm, 79, died April 22, 2017 at Salem Home in Hillsboro. He was born April 14, 1938 rural Benton to Arthur and Erlean (Berg) Hamm. He married Ruth Dalke October 7, 1956 at Marion.

He was a Farmer. Survivors include: wife, Ruth Hamm of Hillsboro; son Russ (Donna) Hamm of Rural Canton; daughters, Janice Richardson of Albuquerque, New Mexico, Kathryn (Mark) Nachtigall of rural McPherson; brothers, Clayton (Wanda) Hamm of Marion, Garry Hamm of Marion; 11 grandchildren and 17 great grandchildren. Celebration of Life Service 11:00 a.m.

Friday, April 28, 2017 at First Baptist Church of Durham. Interment 10:00 a.m. Friday Durham Park Cemetery.

Family receive gets from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Thursday at Jost Funeral Home in Hillsboro.

Memorials to the Church in care of Jost Funeral Home P.O. Box 266 Hillsboro, Kansas 67063.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:12:19 AM
Subscriber

Russ,

Sincerest condolences on the loss of your father.

Bryan Donaldson
Old 05-01-2017, 11:25:00 AM
Registered-I

So sorry to hear the Russ, you are in our prayers, The Thurmans
Old 06-01-2017, 08:41:28 AM
Registered-II

Never got a call from ol Dave the retired machinist, finally stopped by his place last night and sure enough he was done turning the wrist pin bushings. Bless his heart, he didn't want to call me because he knew what was going on for us. Anyway, time for the two h's, hay and harvest, so if it rains i'll get some more done..........maybe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	016.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	283431  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 09:01:37 AM
Registered-II

Got a chance to work on the engine again this weekend. Got the pistons back in with new rings. I had a question for the TC guys, on IHC tractors if the pistons are above the deck at tdc they are higher compression type, is this the same on TC? Just got gaskets from Olsens', looks quality and good people to work with. Got the timing cover back on, i use sealant and let the material dry on the casting, then comes the ol ball-peen hammer, in some cases.
Anyway, its good to be back at it, our show feature next year is M&M.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	290436   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	290437   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	290438   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	290439  

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 10:29:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,987 Times in 1,278 Posts

Hi Russ,
Glad to see you working on the TC!
TC did not advertise hi compression models with pistons placed above deck height, it was their standard configuration on that particular engine.
Tony
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 02:46:05 PM
Registered-II

What about clutch pads, anybody have a good source? Mine are basically useable, but i would hate to take it apart again and would sure like to use this tractor momentarily. My L Case slips a bit when plowing and i adjusted the clutch but it still slips some.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:42:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,987 Times in 1,278 Posts

Russ,
For many years I have looked to brake&clutch equipment company's to copy my old friction rings by cutting new ones from sheet material.
Do shop around as I have been burned price wise on this simple procedure. Some shops are glad to help and some would rather not...they charge accordingly
Tony
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 02:07:01 PM
Registered-II

I was talking to a local collector about my clutch discs, and he suggested The Brake Shop in Wichita. Went there yesterday, they couldn't cut a pair for me but this was a small buisness that would at least TRY to find someone to make them and wanted to do buisness with me. It reminded me of my shop, anybody that prefers very clean, organized and modern shops would be greatly dissapointed. I LOVED it, was like walking through a time portal.
Anyway, we shall see what they come up with, they called and said 3 days or so and i can pick em up.
Here is the only review i found for the brake shop, and it mirrors my thoughts pretty close.;
A car-smart friend recommended The Brake Shop for some brake work. The shop has an old-school feel, like the repair shops of my youth in the mid-60s. Shop cat, people smoking, inventory stacked everywhere, stuff like that. They did rear drums on my car for $120, did it quickly and the work appears good. The mechanic also correctly diagnosed and fixed a front suspension issue that has eluded other mechanics. So overall I was pleased by their service. I would much rather come to a local place like this than get needlessly upsold at some chain store.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	76378ef5a7e9e34c4752cbe22cbae17c.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	290647  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 07:59:46 PM
Subscriber

Russ, when I was restoring the Baker 22-40 I went to my local clutch repair shop to find new disks. He w s s apprehensive at first about selling just the disks. The ones I got had the right id nbut he couldn't match od. I used my circle cutter for my bandsaw making up a center to hold the disks then cut the od of the disks, worked great. Save time and money, just used a metal cutting blade. Jim
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Ware For This Post: