Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

New Member of the Twin City Twin Cam Fraternity

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 1627 times

Old 09-05-2017, 09:44:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,520 Times in 492 Posts
Default Re: New Member of the Twin City Twin Cam Fraternity

Checking the screen would sure be a good start. After that i would sure inspect the pump if nothing changes, mine was about to loose the key on the drive gear, not right away but someday. Anymore i'm a little gun shy about such things, good parts are out there but sure not in this area anymore.
I really like the way they did the oil pimp on these, seems pretty easy to service compared to some other brands, other than the priming.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2017, 09:13:30 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,999 Times in 1,284 Posts

Jim,
Pull the screen out of pan and if that is clear, pull both plugs out of oil pump. Pipe plug for priming has a 5/8 check ball under it to seal and hold main oil line full of oil. It could be stuck from sitting. If that anti-drain-back ball is pitted it will not hold oil up to pump and will drain back to pan requiring priming at each start...(like pulling your tongue off a straw full of liquid).
Also look under the main pressure plug. There is a slotted plug, spring and larger 3/4 check ball under that one. This pressure ball may be stuck in its seat. The spring could be rusted away. I have also seen springs wear in two from rubbing the pump bore wall for too long.
Lastly check pump gear drive keys.
I have pump balls here, and the spring can be matched up to a hardware store replacement. The slotted cover plug gets turned up for less pressure and down for more oil pressure. No need to exceed 20 lbs as they are not designed for it.
Good luck!
Tony
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 09-06-2017, 12:25:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanks Tony and Russ, Molinegb posted in Marks thread that the oil pump gears from a Z or R moline are replacements so if I am in need of new gears those shouldn't be to hard to find. Tony, I will let you know what I find out I need in a few week's, will have time for such things while recovering from shoulder surgery, again. Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to J Ware For This Post: