Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Moline Universal Tractor,Moline Illinois

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 2334 times

Old 05-30-2017, 02:02:25 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,792 Times in 1,352 Posts
Default Moline Universal Tractor,Moline Illinois

Moline Universal Tractor,Moline Illinois
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moline Universal CHP Milton Ontario.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	283276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moline Universal CHP Milton Ontario #2.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	283277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moline Universal Ad 1916.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	283278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moline Universal  9 - 18.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	283279  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to casertractor For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2017, 02:17:53 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Moline Universal Tractor,Moline Illinois

Ad from 1918 to promote the electric system on the Moline Universal Tractors
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Moline Universal Tractor Electric Lights.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	283284  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to casertractor For This Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 12:55:34 PM
Subscriber

They are neat tractors. I sat on that very tractor last year at Steam Era. I was worn out just sitting on it. Those old boys were tough!

Question, when Moline switched from the 2 Cylinder C to the 4 Cylinder D, were there changes made to the sulky and how it mounts to the drive portion of the tractor? Are the sulky's interchangeable between models?
Old 05-31-2017, 01:23:41 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Blaney View Post
They are neat tractors. I sat on that very tractor last year at Steam Era. I was worn out just sitting on it. Those old boys were tough!

Question, when Moline switched from the 2 Cylinder C to the 4 Cylinder D, were there changes made to the sulky and how it mounts to the drive portion of the tractor? Are the sulky's interchangeable between models?

Looks like they were interchangeable
Old 05-31-2017, 02:18:59 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,481 Times in 2,372 Posts

I attended a sale years back that had one of these plus a few other neat toys. While looking the Universal over, an old timer commented on them, seems his grand father was killed on one the second day after they bought it new. He drove it into the barn the nite before, went to back it out the next day and when he engaged the clutch in reverse it launched the seat upward into the low ceiling above and killed him instantly! A neighbor here had a similar designed Indiana tractor and it too was very unstable if trying to back it, they kept it on the belt driven feed mill to be safe. They used the Fordson for all drawbar work and scrapped the Indiana to the first scrap drive of WWII. He always said that they should of gave it to the enemy nd likely it would have killed a good number of them!
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 03:35:30 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,128 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by casertractor View Post
Looks like they were interchangeable
We have both....they do interchange. We have two sulkies, a two bottom plow, a two row cultivator and a piece of a sickle mower (I think). The workings of the electric governor came from a demented mind since there was also a mechanical governor offered. I understand that most of these guys were sentenced to "the lane" because of governor problems.

Don't know if it's true or not, but I've been told that it was the first tractor with factory electric lights. Never felt like it was worth the time to explore. We built our four cylinder in 1987 and there were still a few guys around that had operated them at that time. As a result I have a lot of second hand stories, including people being smashed into the ceiling.

Last edited by Ed Bays; 05-31-2017 at 03:53:17 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:38:15 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,383 Times in 445 Posts

The electric lights remind me of a comment supposedly made when lights were offered on tractors;
" Only a lazy farmer needs to work at night."
Old 05-31-2017, 07:03:59 PM
Subscriber

When you mention operators being thrown up into the ceiling, is it because of the nose end of the tractor rotating forward into the ground, and driving the sulky upwards? Or reversing in high speed and driving up a wall?
Old 05-31-2017, 09:50:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,605 Times in 718 Posts

we were back working on ours this weekend. frustrating. Nice hot, consistent strong spark into the distributor cap, no good spark out of the cap. retimed it, new cap, new rotor, new wires; still nothing.

The tractor was advertised as perfectly balanced, one man could easily lift the rear end to allow easy change of attachments. what this also meant was it didn't take much to flip the rear end on an incline.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7359.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	283390  
Old 05-31-2017, 11:07:29 PM
Banner Sponsor

Thanked 1,675 Times in 146 Posts

There was a Universal on one of the very early Classic Tractor Calendars and it was owned by the original brothers who bought it new. In the accompanying video to the calendar they interviewed them about it.

One of them said when they brought the tractor home, the first week they raced each other up in the morning to see who got the tractor. The second week, they raced each other up to see who got the horses.

That story always stuck with me - thought it was a good one!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big 4-20 For This Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 02:38:10 AM
Registered-I

All those bad stories, makes them even more interesting

Marco
Old 06-01-2017, 11:42:19 AM
Registered-III

1919 Universal Model D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln5O57Fy6Xk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to casertractor For This Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 12:34:46 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,383 Times in 445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Searl View Post
we were back working on ours this weekend. frustrating. Nice hot, consistent strong spark into the distributor cap, no good spark out of the cap. retimed it, new cap, new rotor, new wires; still nothing.

The tractor was advertised as perfectly balanced, one man could easily lift the rear end to allow easy change of attachments. what this also meant was it didn't take much to flip the rear end on an incline.
I had a distributor do that and found the insulator for the wire going through the side was bad, also had one that the spring on the points touched the inside of the distributor once in awhile.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 08:12:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,227 Times in 1,985 Posts

Paul;
That electrical schematic looks fairly straight forward and typical. The generator and starter have 4 poles and brushes of opposite polarity located 90 deg apart as it should be. Only two brushes are necessary as on the generator shown when the armature is wound with a 'wave winding'. Four brushes could be used if current load was great enough. The diagram of the starter series field connection is a little confusing.
I would like to see information on the electric governor. The idea should work.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:23:54 PM

Thanked 18,907 Times in 5,592 Posts

The electric governor is based on the generator developing varying radial forces depending on output.
The entire generator is mounted on ball bearings at both ends so the entire unit is free to rotate within another housing.
As generator output changes rotational forces decrease and increase causing the generator to want to "twist" within the housing.
The governor lever is fairly long much like those on Pickering governors presumably to be more responsive due to the small amount of rotational travel allowed.
In addition there may be a light spring to load the governor, it's been a long time so I forgot, or it might simply be a counter weight thing.
In theory it was a good idea.
In reality it sucked.......
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 06-02-2017, 06:20:42 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig A View Post
In addition there may be a light spring to load the governor,
In theory it was a good idea.
In reality it sucked.......
There's a light spring pushing the generator to the "full throttle" position, through the throttle rod that is attached (solid) to the rear end of the "floating" generator. As a result, when starting you have to physically pull the spring loaded throttle/generator up, to the half throttle position, or listen to an over-rev startup, and hope that the engine slows down. Though the governor was very responsive (sometimes even responding correctly), any problem in the electrical system, caused the tractor to be a "parade only" vehicle. Craig's synopsis of the performance is correct.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Bays For This Post:
Old 06-02-2017, 07:51:51 AM
Registered-II

I have one of the early Model D tractors. I drilled the cap that has the spring in it that helps to keep the generator from hunting for the right speed and put a bolt in there with a lock nut. That way it will not let it go wide open and risk a thrown rod. That was very common in the event of the generator not working. It also keeps it from being wide open throttle on startup. The governor does work on my tractor.
We live in the mountains of Tennessee and my yard has a steep hill. When I got it running several years ago I took it up the hill to see how it would pull. When I got close to the top of the hill the tractor shut off. I turned the steering wheel back and forth and got it turned around to go back down the hill. On the way down I thought I would let out on the clutch and start it again. That was not a good idea. The back of the tractor came up off the ground with me on it. The wheels were about 2 feet off the ground by the time I got the clutch disengaged. My heart was pounding and I thought I was going to die that day. I had read about the people being killed in the barns by the rear of the tractor going up and crushing them in the loft floor. I see how easy that could happen. I will never try anything like that again. Thank God I didn't panic and thought to disengage the clutch very fast. It all happened very fast. They are much safer on flat ground. Not that we have a lot of flat ground around here. Be safe.
Fred.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fred Milner For This Post:
Old 06-02-2017, 08:56:56 AM
Registered-III

Fred, glad you kept your wits about you and lived through a very dangerous situation. I once saw the results of a guy, on a modern tractor, pulling a log uphill and snagging on a root. Not pleasant! Ours is a dangerous hobby and that danger is compounded by 1920 and earlier stuff.

I used to operate the Frike brother's Model D at Mount P. Their governor always worked perfectly....around the racetrack that is the parade ground. I think we all agree that the early stuff had to be awful to farm with (by today's standards), working correctly or not. We use the Mahindra chore tractor to pull the 35/70 Minnie from its barn. If it wasn't for the "Gee Whiz" factor and love of the past, I'd stay on the Mahindra. Be safe.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ed Bays For This Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 09:58:15 PM
Registered-II

Talking Re: Moline Universal Tractor,Moline Illinois

It's hard for me to pass over a Moline Universal thread- - - - and then on this one, I get the "exciting" report from Fred on his downhill starting attempt.

Somewhere-- - - I have a Moline advertisement showing a man holding up the rear of the tractor by hand. (musta been a balance point there somewhere!!!)

Delta Dirt
Avon Ms 38723
The Following User Says Thank You to Delta Dirt For This Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 02:31:25 PM
Registered-III

Moline Universal Tractor at work - 1919
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Moline Universal  at Work  1919.jpg
Views:	118