Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Moline Universal Tractor,Moline Illinois

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 2317 times

Old 07-25-2017, 07:20:20 PM
Registered-II

Angry Re: Moline Universal Tractor,Moline Illinois

I have a very soft soft spot for these tractors as they are a sibling to the Stephens Motor Car. My Uncle was the second owner of a 1924 Stephens that's ownership never left Freeport Illinois...it's home town. It was to go to the city museum by his word but he never got the directives into his will. Sadly his bastard kid stole the car from history. How many cars that are 90 years old that were sold to the public remain in the town they were made? Bet it's less than a dozen or two but now that provenance is lost to that damn kids GREED! I always wanted to put a Moline Plow Company tractor on display with my uncles Stephens but no point now.
The Following User Says Thank You to ihredo4 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2017, 01:58:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,605 Times in 718 Posts
Default Re: Moline Universal Tractor,Moline Illinois

got our D running a couple of weekends ago. this was the first drive. a bit smoky, so thats an issue and no reverse, the clutch is sticking a bit. after driving it around a while it did get better. We will have it at Geneseo IL next weekend along with the Rock Islands. now to find an implement for it and lugs or cleats and a fan cover. we do have extensions for it. we also need a belt pulley shaft and the drive gear for it. the belt pully on it is not correct and has no gear to drive it.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:30:15 PM
Registered-III

Paul, I know where a set of wheels with lugs on them are sitting in a junk pile in Minnesota. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited by turbo; 09-09-2017 at 08:05:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo For This Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 08:07:44 PM
Registered-III

Here is a link to a previous post with some pictures. I have not looked at them in 3 years or so but I assume they are still there.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146528
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo For This Post:
Old 09-09-2017, 11:01:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,605 Times in 718 Posts

Thanks Turbo. The one rim is totally shot, but id be very interested in the lugs for sure.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:30:28 AM
Registered-I

I believe these tractors got the nickname of widowmaker. As I understand it, farmers would tow a wagon load downhill and the wagon would overrun the sulky. I have one of those tractors, not operational, but I can't remember whether or not they had brakes. I wonder if anyone has ever thought about putting frame rails from the tractor towards the front and move the sulky up in front of the tractor with the sulky wheels steering, and the operator just in front of the radiator. It would make it a somewhat normal looking tractor. Just a thought. Another thought would be having to really stretch the word 'normal'.

---------- Post added at 12:30:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27:03 AM ----------

I believe these tractors got the nickname of widowmaker. As I understand it, farmers would tow a wagon load downhill and the wagon would overrun the sulky. I have one of those tractors, but I can't remember whether or not they had brakes. I wonder if anyone has ever thought about putting frame rails from the tractor towards the front and move the sulky up in front of the tractor with the sulky wheels steering, and the operator just in front of the radiator. It would make it a somewhat normal looking tractor. Just a thought. Another thought would be having to really stretch the word 'normal'.
The Following User Says Thank You to FredB2 For This Post: