Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

What is this mystery winch thing?

this thread has 39 replies and has been viewed 3094 times

Old 09-03-2017, 08:15:35 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: What is this mystery winch thing?

I have no clue but i love it! No luck finding any parts numbers by chance?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2017, 09:50:15 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,456 Times in 1,317 Posts

80 or 90 years ago, a couple of kids were messing around in Dad's junk pile, throwing random parts together...the Old Man came along, kicked their butts & told them to stay out of his iron pile. They left it laying there all these years, & now somebody found it & it's a huge mystery ! Hey, it's as good a theory as any, right?
Smokstak member #442
Old 09-03-2017, 11:26:50 AM
Subscriber

I love it too! I just wish I knew what it was

As I mentioned above, the only part numbers on the cast pieces are simple numbers like 11, 12, 23, etc... No lettered prefix (for example like Allis Chalmers cast parts all start with AM*** ) to help ID it.

This is too well built to be just a farmer (or kid) thrown together unit. And everything "matches" so it doesn't look like a thing pieced together from other units either.

The most plausible theory to me this far is that it is some type of winch unit. In my mind the bogie wheel gets mounted out front (perpendicular to the drive wheels), possibly with the pipe with brackets on it extending out front further. A horse (or horses) would be harnessed to this pipe, and walk in a circle turning this whole unit in a circle around the central pivot point located about where the rear drive wheels are.

This would drive the wheels (one forward and one in reverse) and power the main pulleys (again either in forward or reverse depending on which half of the clutch shifting mechanism they are engaged in). The horses could be stopped at any point to switch directions of the pulley clutches, and start again letting the pulleys cable out, or winding it up.

How exactly the cable was ran is unknown at this point, I'd have to go study it some more. But with small pulleys on the back, and front of this whole unit, as well as the main drive pulleys in the center, I assume the cable would wind back and forth a couple times, making it easier to pull whatever you are pulling because of the ratios (think block and tackle).

AS for WHAT was being pulled, just guesses at this point. Possibly located over a well to pull well pipe or rods? Maybe just go out horizontal along the ground (horses would have to step over it) and pull whatever? Possibly stumps or rocks?

Once the job was done, possibly the front bogie wheel could be spun 90* (parallel with the rear wheels now) and the whole unit could be pulled home with the horses.

Until proven wrong this it the most likely solution I see to the pile of things in front of me I'd love it to be some kind of early tractor, but I think that is just seeing what you want it to be instead of what is really there.

But until this is definitely identified, this discussion will continue. Who else has an idea?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 06:57:46 AM
Registered-II

Some kind of haystacker??

https://www.google.nl/url?sa=i&rct=j...04695121871632
The Following User Says Thank You to Gede20 For This Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 09:26:07 AM
Subscriber

It looks like the frame is bent. If that was straitened and the other drive wheel was added would it be wide enough to be a tractor? It looks like somthing went in between the frame peaces at the rear wheels. Hope someone comes up with the answer . cheers Bill H.
The Following User Says Thank You to BHoward For This Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 11:15:45 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,096 Posts

Looks to me like you should drag that out of the weeds and take it home, Jacob. Then you can get better pics and maybe find an ID tag. I would think it should be saved.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:12:56 PM
Registered-I

Maybe something similar to this??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s5VZ9GXbUc
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlieB For This Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 02:45:47 PM
Registered-III

Looks like it. Should move it to the horse drawn equipment section. Someone probably needs parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to akuna For This Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 10:36:12 PM
Subscriber

Now a hay STACKER is a possibility I could see, would explain the cable system to lift the assembly. And if the assembly was wood and all rotten and gone it wouldn't look like much is missing, like it does.

Still seems awful narrow for this though? My same hesitation with those horse driven headers CharlieB. But who knows.

I had a hay LOADER suggested to me, but I kinda know what they look like, and don't think it is that. No need for cables on them as far as I know. But I was not familiar with hay Stackers. I'll have to dig into that a bit deeper....

Bill H, yes the one frame rail is bent. If it were straightened out and the other drive wheel not missing, it would still be a very narrow unit. Only about 16" wide channel framework. My gut is telling me that this was some type of horse drawn unit, and not a tractor the more I study and think about it, but I really don't know. That's why I'm here with the experts

Oh Phil, you know I'm working on getting it, can't let cool old junk get scraped. I'm waiting to hear back from the owner, I'll let everyone know what happens.

Akuna, I didn't even know we had a horse drawn section here, guess I gotta get out of the Lugs and Cleats more often huh?
Old 09-06-2017, 08:55:19 PM
Subscriber

So I started a thread on the Horse Drawn Board with a link back to here, we'll see if anyone there can ID what this is for sure?

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171696

The good news is that I was able to work out a deal with the owner, so this will be coming home with me soon. I'll keep you all posted!
Old 09-07-2017, 11:32:20 PM
Subscriber

So I made a quick trip out to my mystery machine tonight after work until it got dark out. I took a few more pics and a little video. I'll post the video here as that will be the most help I think.

https://youtu.be/IoFTCCa5fyE

Any more ideas?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 11:30:40 PM
Subscriber

Still searching for answers. I don't think it is one, but it has some similarities to a Stripper Harvester.

I didn't know about them either until tonight, learning all kinds of stuff through this search process

http://www.nma.gov.au/online_feature..._the_harvester

Or possibly part of a Sheaf Loader? Doesn't quite seem to be the answer either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 09:54:22 PM
Subscriber

Got the machinery pulled out of the weeds today, and took some videos now that we can see things a bit better.

Let me know what you think. Thanks
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 11:07:44 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,243 Times in 190 Posts

I wonder if this could have been something like the Hackney Auto Plow with the pulleys being for lifting the plows. Just a thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Flatmoe For This Post:
Old 09-12-2017, 11:48:49 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,149 Times in 513 Posts

Can you tell if the parts that appear to be guards on the pulleys, have possibly become rotated from there original working position so they would face the little pulleys?
The Following User Says Thank You to halcon For This Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 10:32:56 PM
Subscriber

If nothing else, this thing is good as an education tool. I'm learning a lot about other things that it is NOT, LOL!

I have been thinking about the possibilities that may be opened back up if that rear were the wood is, really was a pipe because of the threads (only makes sense) and really was wider? How MUCH wider is any ones guess at this point, but some things where being narrow was a limiting factor, that is no longer the case possibly.

I did have a little better look at the guards last visit Halcon, and from what I can tell (until further clean up and inspection) the guards can not simply just pivot around and be in the wrong orientation. They have part of the bracket to keep them from rotating, so unless they were completely disassembled and reassembled this way (which may be and option?) it would not be an easy "flip them around quick" job.

But that thought crossed my mind too, because as is, there HAS to be some important pieces missing to even thread a cable in ANY logical way. The drive wheel is directly in line with the "bottom" or open side of the winch, so the cable would have nowhere to go?

Any ideas how it would thread? Take a 90* turn after the pulleys somehow?

It may be a dumb question, but does the winch pulley having the divider in the center (presumably to have two cables wound up on it?) provide any clues to it's use?
Old 09-14-2017, 10:35:33 PM
Registered-I

believe it to be kinda light for some kind of stump puller ?
The Following User Says Thank You to FredB2 For This Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 08:03:34 PM
Subscriber

This is only a guess,
If the frame was standing up vertical , The pulleys system could be used to lift a Monkey ( Hammer ) up via wire ropes around the double winch pulleys and then latch with the two safety side latches , The two safety latches could be swung in out by a control rope via the top outside pulleys,
To drop the Monkey ,The double winch pulleys would be disengaged ,
So could this machine be a fence post driver ?
If the Monkey was heavy enough you could drive a post with one hit ?
Then lift the Monkey while moving to the next post,
The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart Landry For This Post:
Old 09-15-2017, 09:13:15 PM
Subscriber

Now there is some out of the box thinking Stuart! I like it. No idea if you are on to something or not, but the idea seems just as plausible as others offered thus far, LOL!
I'll have to look into pile drivers/post pounders a bit more now.

Fred, I'm not sure if it is too light duty for a stump puller or not? I can't say I've ever seen a stump puller in person before.

But back in the day, clearing fields and making fences were both needed in the prairie out here.

Which brings up a good point of discussion. Can anyone narrow down the possible time frame this might have been built (regardless of what it may be) based on the details of construction?
-Like the band of the drive wheel being lapped and riveted at the seam.
-using grease cups on the drive wheel.
-the way the spokes are threaded into the drive hub and hammered/flared out into the counter sunk rim (what it the proper termonology for this?)
-That style of roller chain (not sure if this one helps?)

Just some thoughts to spur further conversation.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:22:05 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,149 Times in 513 Posts

That roller chain is not like our modern standard numbered series eg 50-60-80 ect. although a similar chain was used not too many years ago as feeder chain on combines and such.
The Following User Says Thank You to halcon For This Post: