Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Is old Iron a good investment?

this thread has 33 replies and has been viewed 1819 times

Old 09-13-2017, 09:27:54 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Is old Iron a good investment?

One has to consider the value of our currency. I think that many, if not most, of the price increases today are because the value of our currency is less today than last year or last week. There has been much discussion lately about the cost of hurricane damage. The costliest storm in history. Our money is worth less now than during the last storm and it will continue to decline in value.

Bob
WB8NQW
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Willman For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2017, 09:30:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,513 Posts

If you want to invest in something beyond the 401K, buy land! I am not quite at the retirement stage yet, but my land holdings are what I'm banking on to pay for it.

My father had a chance at buying a 2000 acre ranch just outside of San Antonio back in the 60's for the stupidly high price of $100 an acre, grandpa talked him out of it because "land is everywhere and will never be worth more". That ranch stretched from Loop 410 out to Loop 1604, hwy 281 runs right thru it, and it would be worth shloads more today.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:52:18 PM
Subscriber

I think investings key word is Diversify. not all eggs in one basket .
there are costs that erode investments also, ie taxes,insurance, a place to keep tangible items. risk factors in the market .
I had some Lehman Brother stock , lol worth nothing today ,
wish I bought a tractor with that, at least I could play with it .
great question , good answers

JC
The Following User Says Thank You to IronworkerFXR For This Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 11:58:29 PM
Subscriber

Go visit with some retirees. ask them what they would do in hindsight. Almost everyone I've talked with has several things they would have done different but socking more $$$ away for retirement isn't high on there lists.
The Following User Says Thank You to slip knot For This Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 02:50:58 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldironlindy View Post
I was at The Rollag show Labor day weekend and there were tons of your families (including mine) working on and showing machinery. I saw more young men and women running steam engines than older folks.
I too was impressed by the number of "young'uns" among the people running the show.
The Following User Says Thank You to NDmeterman For This Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 11:04:31 AM
Registered-I

Personally I collect stuff as a Hobby and could care less about what something is worth , If your in it for the $$ you really are in the wrong hobby IMO, I'll probably keep my stuff till I'm too old to mess with it and if that time comes hopefully I will find a younger person who is interested in this stuff and either give it to them or let it go for very little if I know its going to be cared for and not hacked into a puller tractor or scrapped.

I think with technology today and access to machines all over the world stuff that once was considered rare is now pretty common and most of the good stuff that brings the $$ is already in private collections , the days of finding cheap stuff is pretty much over and I think most of us are paying retail to above retail on any piece thats bought or resold, really no margins on this stuff anymore unless your a scrapper parting machines out.

There will always be some items that increase in value but for the most part I think we're all breaking even on anything we buy or sell in todays world and personally would not bank on retiring with my tractor collection atleast
The Following User Says Thank You to Bolens 1000 For This Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 11:38:28 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip knot View Post
Go visit with some retirees. ask them what they would do in hindsight. Almost everyone I've talked with has several things they would have done different but socking more $$$ away for retirement isn't high on there lists.
That is a very good point! If old iron helps gives us something to do as a family and helps my kids learn about how things work, patience, and other life lessons, I consider it a good investment. Thanks for all the great comments so far! By the way I will be going to an auction this weekend to spend some of my retirement .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldironlindy For This Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 11:58:17 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,377 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
That is a very good point! If old iron helps gives us something to do as a family and helps my kids learn about how things work, patience, and other life lessons, I consider it a good investment. Thanks for all the great comments so far! By the way I will be going to an auction this weekend to spend some of my retirement .
Thats the spirit!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:20:56 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,018 Times in 382 Posts

Started in this tractor hobby close to 30 years back as car hobby was getting increasingly expensive. For a few years I was picking up any MM tractor I could find at a reasonable price. Over past few years only buy low production and odd models. I basically do all my own work so input cost are low. Now have a good selection of parts tractors which create some cash flow. I figure better spending dollars on tractors should have a higher return. Anything is better than money in savings account getting 1/2 percent interest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Molinegb For This Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 03:50:02 PM
Registered-III

I have never thought of this hobby as an investment, but I do tell my girlfriend it is when I drag another rusty hunk of junk home!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turbo For This Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 07:49:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,063 Times in 837 Posts

Quote:
The "best" part (investment) of this hobby is the Great people you meet over the years and become friends with from all over the country. I look forward to going to certain shows every year because I know I'll have a Great time catching up with someone or somebodies that I know that I'll only see that one special weekend of the year.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Don Selmer For This Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 10:00:26 PM
Registered-II

From Dalmatiangirl61:

"If you want to invest in something beyond the 401K, buy land! "

In case some of you missed it, these may well be the wisest words ever published on this site.

In answer to the original question, buying old iron as an investment is NOT a good idea, unless you buy it for a penny or so a pound then turn around and sell it for a dime, ideally in situ. Collectibles are generally items with little if any intrinsic value. Their value depends solely on what people are willing to pay, and as we all know people are fickle. Don't risk it. If you want to buy something as a hobby and will enjoy owning it, that's something else. And yes a big part of this is NOT thinking about how much the item will be worth should you decide to sell. Assume it's value at that point will be zero and if that does not bother you, what are you waiting for, haul off an' buy the thing.

I am also troubled by the number of people recommending 401K's as a good investment vehicle. 401K's (and IRA's) come with many limitations and restrictions and other downsides. If your employer provides a match contribution, participate only until such time as the match is met, and pull the funds out of the 401K as soon as they vest and shift them PROPERLY to a self directed IRA. Note the key word here, PROPERLY. You can get in big trouble if you do this wrong. The IRA isn't perfect but it is still better than the 401K. Use your other investment funds to buy real estate (rental properties or bare land) common stocks, bonds (both commercial or municipal) or other legitimate investments that appeal to you. Mix it up to remain diversified. Look out for yourself because no one else is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 11:06:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,407 Times in 1,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Epping View Post
Personally I wouldn't look at buying old iron (or any collectible) as an investment. It's a hobby, not a mutual fund. A lot of this stuff hasn't gone up that much through the years. Historically the really good stuff has, but even that has seen somewhat of a correction the past few years. Many of the folks in recent years that bought high priced iron thinking it could do nothing but go up, have been disappointed. But they usually weren't true collectors, they were investors. If you're genuinely interested in it, buy it, if you can afford to do so, after you take care of your responsibilities at home/business & planning for your future. If it's worth more when you or your heirs sell it, great! but if it's not you will still have fun and enjoy owning it if you're a true collector. There's a lot of entertainment value in this hobby.

Yes, more than likely there are things you can buy today that will be worth a lot more in the future, but no one honestly knows what those things will be.
Excellent comments and advice Chris.

My advice is don't let a hobby take money from your family, savings, church or worthwhile charity. If you have each of these covered to a comfortable level, then use the extra resources you have to enjoy life. If that involves purchasing an old engine, tractor, car or truck, do it. Enjoy life but make sure you have your priorities correct and don't lose sight of the fact that there is eternity beyond the life here on earth. Accept the love of God to be able to enjoy it.

Last edited by LCJudge; 09-15-2017 at 12:51:48 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LCJudge For This Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 11:08:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,315 Posts

About the only sure way to make money on old iron is to buy it, part it out, & sell the pieces..."the parts is more than the sum of the whole"...
Smokstak member #442