Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Those Big Oil Pulls?

this thread has 337 replies and has been viewed 93914 times

Old 01-14-2007, 09:31:18 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: Those Big Oil Pulls?

Hi G

Yes that is Schell's E. I think it is the first E I ever saw and heard run. It began a life long facination with them. I used to bug Norm about not bringing it out, then Alex got his and I would bug Lyle when his dad would get it going, but more on that later. Yes it went to Iowa and I saw it this year at Mt. Pleasant. It has not changed much. Dad & I had talked about approaching Norm to see if he would sell it, but we snoozed & we lost!!!
Not sure where Norm got it originally.

Ross
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2007, 09:33:19 PM
Sponsor

Robert

I think you are right about the F. I think Earl Davidson sold it to Gord Smith originally. I remember it showing up in Sherwood's yard a week or two before the show one year, I think 1970. The show did not run on Sunday then, but a bunch of guys got together to get it running that day as there was no crowd to contend with. Bish was the head engineer from what I remember. Norm was in there as well. Sherwood was belting it with his Y. They finally got it going and drove it around for a while.
I know my dad was quite interested in it at the time but he really wanted to get a Z. Sadly he never got one.
It was sold to Don Calhoun who then sold it to a fellow in New York. The tractor came back to Milton in 83 for the show when we featured Rumely the first time.

Ross
Old 01-14-2007, 09:35:50 PM
Sponsor

G

I think your Makoti pictures are E's not B's.
The back wheels look too big.
I was to Makoti years ago. I don't remember much about it as to what tractor's were there.

Ross
Old 01-14-2007, 10:35:55 PM
Email NOT Working

I believe both are F series. We had these in the mid 70's. The rusty one broke a axle one time as we were unloading it off of a double drop detachable trailer, not for sure why, since we didnt drop it or nothing. It also has a bad reputation of killing a previous owner by back firing while the guy was trying to start it. He was standing on the rear wheel and using his foot in the spokes and turning the engine over and it back fired and I believe through him up in the air and He came down and hit the ground. Just terrible.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:12:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 26,727 Times in 6,679 Posts

Mr. Pence's pictures of the flipped over tractor really are sad. I saw Charly's E mentioned in the first post after he got it home. It was an excellent tractor - he bought it from Reynolds and was one of the first out of there so he chose a good one. He had never restored it fully cosmetically so it always looked like a real good working tractor.
The truck came to take it to the show and evidently, it was from a farm equipment dealer and a steel deck outfit - tractor was on original wheel equipment. Not sure what all happened but not far down the road, the E flipped off. The front axle stayed on the float and the rest of the tractor pulled out of the front socket and landed over on the clutch pulley side. The pulley, clutch shoes and spider, etc, were destroyed; the rear wheel was stove in and the cast hub split in two and the rear axle badly bent; the main frame was sprung; the entire cooler was destroyed; when seperating, the front axle was bent and wheel damaged.
The motor stayed on but of course the "feet" were cracked. It didn't seem to harm the crankshaft. A lot of other castings were busted such as the cooling pump when the piping got all ripped apart. I saw it in Charly's yard just after it was dumped off, made you sick to your stomach and never want to send a tractor out on the road again!
He finally got a settlement on it last year and I think the wreck happened about 2000 or 2001? He got another chassis from Mr. Tysse and assorted other parts here and there. I saw it last summer and it was close to back together - I am sure he has it done and running by now. It has been a real set back for Charly as he had just retired not long before this happened and was looking forward to getting at a lot of his other Rumelys. As he said, he already had the E done but had to start all over on it again. You wouldn't wish something like that on anyone. Not sure if I have any pix of that event?
G.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:40:41 PM
Subscriber

Here are a couple of views also taken by Mr. Parker of SK. These are of Murray Johannson's E at Langruth, Manitoba. This was at his fall plowing/threshing a couple of years back I think? The chap standing behind the tractor in the one shot is Mr. Clyde Hall of Fillmore, SK. Mr. Hall did a fair bit of work on this tractor and many other big Rumelys since. This tractor, I believe, is one of the three that pulled the 50 bottom plow at Rollag a couple of years back?
G.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ger1.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	15579   Click image for larger version

Name:	ger2.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	15580  
Old 01-16-2007, 04:30:07 PM
Subscriber

Some stuff from a 1912 Oil Pull catalogue including a shot of the original 50 plow stunt with the 3 Es - an average of an acre every four and a half minutes! This was nicely recreated at Rollag a few years back and there is probably a thread on it in here somewhere?
Also, a plowing scene with an 8 bottom Rumely plow.
G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oilpull1.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	15634   Click image for larger version

Name:	oilpull2.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	15635   Click image for larger version

Name:	oilpull3.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	15636  
Old 01-16-2007, 08:55:29 PM
Sponsor

Nice pics!!!
The third picture is an early tractor, notice the round spokes in the front wheel.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:08:57 AM
Registered-III

Location: 1851 6th. Conc. North, R. R. Stayner, Ontario Canada, L0M 1S0

Ross: So has the colour catalogue cover view. Infact it looks like an etching of the same outfit.

Robert
Old 01-18-2007, 01:16:33 PM
Subscriber

Here is a shot that should go with some above of Murray Johannson's E. Left to right are Clyde Hall, Bob Anderson and Murray.
Also, a line up of big power at Rollag, MN. Rumely F, 20-40 Case and an A&T. Never a shortage of things to see and hear at Rollag
G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	op1.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	15699   Click image for larger version

Name:	op2.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	15700