Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Those Big Oil Pulls?

this thread has 335 replies and has been viewed 90952 times

Old 02-07-2007, 07:30:10 AM
Registered-III

Location: 1851 6th. Conc. North, R. R. Stayner, Ontario Canada, L0M 1S0
Default Re: Those Big Oil Pulls?

G: Those bibs look like Garnet Pattenden from this angle. Could be wrong, perhaps Tim could enlighten us.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2007, 12:38:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 25,053 Times in 6,194 Posts

Here is another one from Tim H. This is Norm Schell's E, taken at Milton in 1967 (man, that seems like a long time ago now )! Lyle S kindly told us in an earlier post that this tractor now belongs to Jerry Shahan in MO.
Norm has been gone for nearly 15 years now and I guess most of his tractors are still not too far away?
G.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oilpull005.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	16357  
Old 02-08-2007, 07:29:36 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 7,736 Times in 1,997 Posts

G Willikers,
I hadn't noticed this thread yet... This will take some heat off of the other thread for a moment? I thought it only appropriate to place Kerosene Annie here first. Oscar O. Cooke, as I understand it, was once a territory manager for Allis Chalmers and he became acquainted with the necessary people to relenquish ownership of this tractor that had been kept with the A-C Company. It was a true piece of junk, but the only piece of junk like it. I saw it in Oscar's junkpile after he moved it to Billings, Montana. It lacked massive castings and pieces and looked pretty hopeless to me at the time. Of course a photographer or writer for one of the engine magazines came to Oscar's show in the 1970s and took a picture of it in its derelict condition in Oscar's junkpile. Oscar got pretty dramatic telling about that incident. The reporter had stated something like, "Kerosene Annie... She'll never run again." Basically he said, "I'll show that SOB!" Of course the reporter didn't realize the personality he was dealing with either. Oscar got it into his shop and did everything necessary to get it going and spared little expense doing so. The first picture shows him with it.

I took this picture of Kerosene Annie in Oscar's shed after he'd died and before Marcella passed away. I can't remember the year exactly.

This is a picture of an Oilpull on the plains in eastern Montana.

This last picture is of John Odegard's Oilpull near Roy, Montana, likely 60 miles northeast of Lewistown.
Gary

Last edited by 20 Reeves Highwheeler; 02-08-2007 at 09:25:00 PM. Reason: Added something!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:36:27 PM
Registered-III

More Oilpull pictures. This first one is one I took of Carl Mehmke with his 15-30 nearly 20 years ago.

This is a picture of an Oilpull disking in the Smith River country of Montana.

I'd be remiss if I didn't put a picture of my wife's grandpa Jefferson Davis Simpson shown with one of his Oilpulls, he'd owned over the years.

This last picture is one I took at Antique Acres, Cedar Falls, Iowa in August of 1992.
Gary
Old 02-08-2007, 07:46:43 PM
Registered-III

These first two pictures are two from our NWAPA show here near Kalispell, Montana last year. EDGE&TA Director and good friend, Dick Tombrink, took the pictures.

This is a picture of my wife's uncle Ralph in the cab of his Oilpull, near Moore, Montana. Her cousin Ward is there too and he is "circa" 75 years old.

This isn't a tractor, but at one time there were Oilpull tractors all over the Moore area. The Judith Basin had a good dealer, likely in Lewistown? Somewhere in my "junk" I have an invoice to Jeff Simpson for "Oilpull oil" from the Moore Farmer's Oil Company. I happened to be there (MFOCo) during a remodel and they'd found a small wooden crate full of these signs that never made it out to the farmer's barns or fence posts. I got this top one and the rest had "wax paper" residue imbedded from the dividers between the rest of the signs.
Gary

Old 02-08-2007, 07:55:10 PM
Registered-III

This first picture is of the Glendive (Montana) Implement Company and a row of 14 Rumely Oilpull tractors. Notice those engine plows too.

This is a picture from Carl Mehmke's photo collection of a Rumely Oilpull on the belt.

This is a picture of another of Jeff Simpson's Rumely Oilpulls at Moore(Eddie's Corner), Montana.

This last Oilpull is one on the King Brother's farm about 12 miles west of Lewistown, Montana.
Gary

Old 02-08-2007, 07:59:37 PM
Registered-III

This first picture is of an Oilpull plowing over in northeastern Montana.

This second one is plowing near Flaxville, Montana.

Jim Philpott's Oilpull is pulling a disk plow near Buffalo, Montana in the Judith Basin.

This last picture is of me standing beside Dennis Power's Model E 30-60 at Rollag in 2005. That's Dennis in the cab with the white whiskers!
Gary

Old 02-09-2007, 12:25:04 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,018 Times in 2,234 Posts

Gary, you never run out of those good ol' pics, do 'ya? Thanks for posting and entertaining the rest of us!
Mike
Old 02-09-2007, 12:41:30 AM
Registered-III

Mike,
I guess gathering them has been my obsession since I was 10 years old. Kind of like a cleptomaniac.... I just can't control myself.
Gary
Old 02-13-2007, 04:07:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,207 Times in 657 Posts
Photo Re: Those Big Oil Pulls?

Outside of "Kerosene Annie" the attached is a photo of the earliest Rumely I have run across. You will notice the fender desing and the rear wheels are different than the Model B or E. I would suspect that this may be one of those first 100 Oilpulls built by Rumely. I was unable to find a serial number on it but it was quite cold and I was only able spend about 15 mniutes looking at it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rumely1.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	16517  
Old 02-13-2007, 08:31:37 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Kvill View Post
Outside of "Kerosene Annie" the attached is a photo of the earliest Rumely I have run across. You will notice the fender desing and the rear wheels are different than the Model B or E. I would suspect that this may be one of those first 100 Oilpulls built by Rumely. I was unable to find a serial number on it but it was quite cold and I was only able spend about 15 mniutes looking at it.
Randy,

Did you get the painted number on the crankside of the engine? It looks like 2X8. The middle number (if any) is covered by the belt guide.

One thing that I noticed was the lack of a ported exhaust typical of the early Rumely's.

Second, the outer rear wheel looks typical, but the hub and spoke pattern does not look to me like it fits the typical wheel design used on the "B", "E" and heavy plowing steam engines.

Looks like Rumely was trying some different design ideas before the final version of the "B".

Maybe you found Kerosene Annies brother?

Really neat, thanks for posting.

-Mark Thompson
Old 02-13-2007, 10:52:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,050 Times in 467 Posts

This is from a Rumely booklet dated July 1911
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oilpullB.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	16539  
Old 02-14-2007, 12:03:49 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cwach View Post
This is from a Rumely booklet dated July 1911
Tom,

That pretty much looks the same as Randy's picture. I have never seen a "B" that early in real life or in a catalog. The earliest catalog I have is 1912 and match most every "B" that I am familiar with..

I learned somthing today.

Thanks Tom.

-Mark Thompson
Old 02-14-2007, 11:21:59 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,207 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Thompson View Post
Randy,

Did you get the painted number on the crankside of the engine? It looks like 2X8. The middle number (if any) is covered by the belt guide.

-Mark Thompson
I did not get that number. However, the engine has been repainted at least once in its life so it may be from any one of a number of possibilities. Maybe it is a serial number. As to the ported exhaust, I did not climb up on the engine to see if it had the ports and if they were plugged off.

Randy
Old 02-14-2007, 02:26:23 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,628 Times in 703 Posts

Randy,

Many thanks for posting that interesting photo. Just wanted to ask whether the tractor is on public display, or if it is in a private collection? Would be nice to stop off and have a look at it if I find myself in that part of the world.

All the best

David
Old 02-14-2007, 08:06:52 PM
Registered-I

Hi Everyone:

What kind of oil do the old oil pulls use in their cooling systems?
Old 02-14-2007, 09:07:29 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by William L. Petitjean, PE View Post
Hi Everyone:

What kind of oil do the old oil pulls use in their cooling systems?
William,

The oil needs to allow the engine to run at 250 degrees without boiling over. It also need to be thin enough to allow the pump to easily cycle the oil through the engine and radiator sections to transfer the heat.

I don't have the Rumely manual in front of me, but if you really need the oil specs. let me know and I will find it for you.

Anyway, Mobil still makes an oil called "Mobiltherm" that closely resembles Rumely's original specification for use in normal temperatures. If you are wanting to buy some, also let me know and and I will get the actual number off of the barrel.

"Mobiltherm" has about the consistency of 10 weight hydraulic oil and is made specifically to be a thermal transfer oil.

I use the "Mobiltherm" oil, but many people use everything from straight diesel fuel to 10 weight hydraulic oil, then I have heard of mixing the two together.

I am sure that "back in the day", the owners used about anything that was available and the tractors are still around today. It probably doesn't really matter what is used as long as it flows and doesn't boil over.

Hope this helps.

-Mark Thompson
Old 02-17-2007, 10:56:06 AM
Registered-II

When I got my F years ago the previous owners had always used used drain oil in the cooling system. I warmed it up one day, drained out about 10 gallons, added 10 gallons of diesel fuel, warmed it up again and drained the whole mess. Then I replaced it with regular non detergent 30 weight. I haven't really worked the tractor hard since, just parades and a little belt and disc work. Seems to be OK.

On another thought. Does anybody have any idea how many B,E,F and G Rumelys are left in the world? I have always been curious about how many are still around?

Chris, What are you looking for in trade for thsoe extension rims?

Rick Keane
Old 02-18-2007, 12:53:57 AM

Thanked 19,047 Times in 5,642 Posts

When we did a 30-60 Hart Parr we got used Hytran transmission oil FREE from an implement dealer.
Hrytan has a flash point of 475 degrees so no problem there........
Hytran is similar in viscosity to 5-30 oil so it moves freely at all temperatures.
The price was pretty hard to beat................
Old 03-17-2007, 02:28:08 PM
Registered-III

Just catchin up in the lugs and cleats forum and here is a photo of Dennis Powers' 30-60 E #2399 at Rollag. Mark Pedersen is steering.
KEVIN