Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Early style two-cylinder Kinnard Haines Tractors

this thread has 73 replies and has been viewed 22158 times

Old 03-11-2013, 12:20:10 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Early style two-cylinder Kinnard Haines Tractors

It's not a twin but it's still a nice picture.

Thanks for cleaning it up Craig!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flour city threshing copy.jpg
Views:	1597
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	160146  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2013, 12:52:15 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,973 Times in 564 Posts

Does anyone know with any solid information from any original paper what the bore size was in a 12hp Flour City engine??
Old 04-14-2013, 04:34:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,050 Times in 467 Posts

back to the top. my catalog scans in this thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Cwach For This Post:
Old 04-15-2013, 01:36:45 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,554 Times in 2,415 Posts

Anyone know how many of these early units were built? A few, dozens, hundreds? Aparently they managed to export a few, I've never really heard any history of these and would like to learn more, thanks. Is Mr Oscar Kinnard still around? F.J.W.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:46:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,725 Times in 291 Posts

I first got to know Oscar (his full name is Oscar B. Kinnard Jr.) in the early 1980's and we talked/corresponded until the early 1990s. I believe he was in his 70's when we first met. He no longer responded to any letters by the mid 1990s but I never heard from anyone about his passing. If he is still around he would surely be in his late nineties. I will tell you this, where ever he is, he has a big smile on his face knowing that tractor will now to be protected and brought back to life!!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:26:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 9,823 Times in 947 Posts

I guess this photo belongs in this thread since it is a photo of the two cylinder Flour City tractor.

I also posted a link to an April 1906 ad for Flour City portable and traction engines. This ad first appeared in the March 1906 Gas Power issue and continued through the rest of the 1906 issues. I have also seen this ad in some 1907 Gas Power issues, and it may have run until 1908 timeframe when they went to the 4 cylinder vertical tractors. Kinnard-Haines did not have any ads before this in the 1904 & 1905 Gas Power full year volumes I have.

Regarding numbers, this ad indicates that there are 150 tractors in use and 1000 engines. Could be embellishment? I sure wish there were more surviving tractors!

wahlengines.com
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Wahl For This Post:
Old 04-16-2013, 11:27:01 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,554 Times in 2,415 Posts

Great pictures Jeff, apparently the company was just getting started and production was pretty low yet. The lack of info on the beginings of Kinnard and their first production is going to make it next to impossible to put an accuratedate on the survivor as they probably didn't change much on these during their production run. F.J.W.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 04-16-2013, 03:29:29 PM
Subscriber

Frank, thanks!

Here is a good article on Flour City tractors written by Bill Vossler: http://www.farmcollector.com/tractor...-in-field.aspx

I've started to piece together the following timeline from various sources. Maybe someday I'll put all this info into a single web-site with advertisements and photos to go along? )

1882: Kinndard-Haines Co. formed when O.B. Kinnard & Albert Haines opened machine shop to produce shingle mill machinery.
1889: Named changed to Kinnard Press Co. when company started to specialize in hay presses
1896: Started working on gas engines
1897: First marketed their gas engines in the spring (I believe this is their early stle, shown bottom right in BYB page: 264; I know of one engine that exists)
1897: Started working on gas tractors with maybe 4 built in 1898 and 28 in 1899 (unconfirmed)
1898: "Flour City" trademark was adopted for their engines (The 1 early style engine I've seen has Kinnard Press Co. & "Flour City" on the tag)
1898: Aug. 25, 1899 issue of Farm Implements magazine, company announces that new style of engine & tractor will be ready Jan 1, 1900 (I believe this is when they switched to the more familiar style of Flour City engines, which were used on their first tractors. Article says tractor has 66" rear wheels, which would make the tractor a 20 or 25 HP according to early dimension charts)
1900: 25 HP tractor was demonstrated at Minnesota State Fair, which aligns with advertisement for tractor with 66" rear wheels (maybe this was really 1901?)
1901: Changed name back to Kinnard-Haines Co. as their focus was on engines and tractors and no longer hay presses. (I know of one later style 3HP Flour City with a Kinnard Press Co. "Flour City" tag before the name changed)
1901: Flour City engines and tractors demonstrated at Minnesota State Fair on March 1901
1905/1906: I believe around this timeframe they 1) switched from piston water pump to chain driven water pump, 2) stopped making the dog houses, and 3) went to double cylinder model for the 20 & 25 HP tractors while retaining single cylinder model for their 8, 12, and 16 HP tractors.
1906: March 1906 ads claim 1000 engines and 150 tractors in operation.
1908: Developed (6-1/4 x 7) 4-cylinder vertical engine for the tractor line and introduced the Flour City 30 tractor
1908: Stopped producing gasoline engines around this timeframe
1910/1911: Release 3 tractor models:
• Flour City 40-70 (7-1/2 x 9) 4-cylinder engine
• Flour City 30-50 (6-1/4 x 7) 4-cylinder engine (same as original Flour City 30)
• Flour City 20-35 (5-1/4 x 6) 4-cylinder engine
1915: "Kinnard" Four-Plow tractor comes out (produced through 1917)
1917/1918: Company name changed to Kinnard & Sons Manufacturing Co.
1918: Flour City Junior tractor comes out rated at 12-20 with a (6-1/2 x 7) 2-cylinder vertical engine
1918: 15-25 (5x5) 4-cylinder engine model tractor comes out (produced through 1919)
1919: Improved Flour City Junior comes out rated at 14-24
1925: O.B. Kinnard died
1927: Flour City tractors listed in tractor directors through 1927
1929: Company purchased by Bros Steel Products Co.
1934: Flour City parts available through 1934

wahlengines.com
Old 04-16-2013, 04:15:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,443 Times in 264 Posts

as big a deal as it was back then to get a tractor did anyone go back into newspaper archives from back then from that area? Maybe this was sugested already.(I guess I should have posted this on the other tread now that I looked at the title)

Last edited by Joe P; 04-16-2013 at 08:12:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe P For This Post:
Old 04-16-2013, 07:53:33 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,749 Times in 133 Posts

Several years ago I purchased this unique bit of Flour City history that dates from the 1910 era. At the time it was a "dear purchase"! Now I am glad that I have the piece. It is a bit newer than what this post pertains to, but I think you will enjoy seeing the scans. The letterhead could possibly contain the only known signature of Albert Haines, partner and brother-in-law of Oscar B. Kinnard. The fact that the original brochure, the letterhead and the mailing envelope are all together is quite nice! If you wish, I can open the brochure and scan the pages two at a time. Postmark is November 15th, 1910.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SCAN0078[1].jpg
Views:	159
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	163022   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAN0079[1].jpg
Views:	166
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	163023   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCAN0077[1].jpg
Views:	139
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	163024  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:30:36 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,165 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Byrne View Post
I first got to know Oscar (his full name is Oscar B. Kinnard Jr.) in the early 1980's and we talked/corresponded until the early 1990s. I believe he was in his 70's when we first met. He no longer responded to any letters by the mid 1990s but I never heard from anyone about his passing. If he is still around he would surely be in his late nineties. I will tell you this, where ever he is, he has a big smile on his face knowing that tractor will now to be protected and brought back to life!!
EXTRACTED FROM: History of Minneapolis, Gateway to the Northwest; Chicago-Minneapolis, The S J Clarke Publishing Co, 1923; Edited by: Rev. Marion Daniel Shutter, D.D., LL.D.; Volume I - Shutter (Historical); volume II - Biographical; volume III - Biographical

Vol III, pg 545-546

O. BROOKE KINNARD (Oscar Brooke Kinnard Sr.)
O. Brooke Kinnard, president of the Kinnard & Sons Manufacturing Company, was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, April 4, 1853, his parents being John H. and Elizabeth (Dunwoody) Kinnard, also natives of the Keystone state, the latter being an own cousin of W. H. Dunwoody, one of the pioneer settlers and early philanthropists of Minneapolis. The family removed from Pennsylvania to Indiana in 1858 and there the father engaged in farming until his death in 1890, his wife surviving him until 1891. In their family were seven sons and two daughters.

O. Brooke Kinnard, who was the fourth child in order of birth, was educated in the country schools of Indiana, being but five years of age at the time the family home was established in that state. When his textbooks were put aside he entered upon an apprenticeship to the machinist's trade and later was with the Atlas Engineering Works of Indianapolis, remaining in that employ for several years. In 1878 he was made the northwestern representative of the Atlas Com_pany, with headquarters at Minneapolis, and held the position until 1882, when, desirous of engaging in business on his own account that his labors might more directly benefit himself, he organized the Kinnard & Haines Foundry & Machine Company, under which style business was continued for thirty-five years or until 1917, when the name was changed to the Kinnard & Sons Manufacturing Company. Mr. Kinnard has from the beginning been president of the company, with his son, Oscar B. Kinnard, as secretary. They engage in the manufacture of tractors for farming purposes and are controlling a constantly developing and growing business, the excellence of their output being such as to firmly establish their position in the market.

In Ohio, on the 30th of May, 1877, Mr. Kinnard was married to Miss Mary Belle Haines, a daughter of Clark and Margaret Haines, representatives of an old family of Pendleton, Indiana. Mrs. Kinnard passed away in 1918. Their children were: Chester H., who was vice president of the Kinnard & Sons Manufacturing Company but who died in 1920, leaving a wife who in her maidenhood was Miss Agnes Griswold; Bertha C., now the wife of Dr. Walter Lafans of Minneapolis; Blanche E., the wife of Harlan D. Barry, who is treasurer of the Kinnard & Sons Manufacturing Company; and Oscar B., who is secretary of the company and who married Miss Mildred Mynderes. The family residence is at No. 2750 Dupont avenue, South. Mr. Kinnard is fond of fishing and motoring, finding his recreation along those lines. His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day but does not seek nor desire office as a reward for party fealty. He is identified with several business associations, including the National Metal Trades, the National Foundrymen's Asso_ciation and the Twin City Foundrymen's Association. He was for many years a member of the Minneapolis Athletic Club and he now has membership in the Lin_coln Club and the Citizens Alliance. He has long been an active and faithful worker in the Calvary Baptist church, of which he has served as a trustee for twenty-eight years, and its teachings have ever been the guiding principles in his life.
--------------------

Last edited by retrofit88; 04-17-2013 at 09:50:10 AM. Reason: Skipping the SC Library - Going back to MN
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to retrofit88 For This Post:
Old 04-17-2013, 09:21:46 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,749 Times in 133 Posts

I spent a fair amount of time researching the Flour City/Kinnard Haines line when restoring my Flour City Jr. The Flour City factory buildings and office still exist in the Camden neighborhood of North Minneapolis. In one of my two Flour City threads on Lugs & Cleats there are pictures posted of the buildings. The Camden neighborhood is north of downtown, MPLS, on the west side of I-94 and north of the Broadway exit. Owen Kinnard's home is still located in South Minneapolis. The first factory site was approx. located at Lake Street and I-35. Kmart now occupies that location. I spent time at the Minnesota History Center, copying address, driving around town, taking pictures. I enjoyed doing all of this at the time. Two of the medals won at the Winnipeg trials still exist in private hands. During the time of building the Flour City Jr I spoke with Oscar Kinnard's widow as well. That was probably mid 1990s. Interesting history!

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

I should have said "Owen Kinnard" in my literature post....just to be accurate. Sorry!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Flatmoe For This Post:
Old 04-17-2013, 10:13:38 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,165 Times in 208 Posts

Mr. Kinnard and Mr. Haines' legacies live on as displayed by this thread and others. We're talking about steel wheels and engines but these men were living breathing humans who changed our world. May they both rest in peace. Below is the obituary I found for Oscar Kinnard and the source. May he rest in peace as well.

KINNARD, OSCAR BROOKE
Date of Birth: 28 May 1916
Place of Birth: MINNESOTA
Mother Maiden Name: MYNDERS

certid# 1995-MN-021272

Date of Death: 24 Aug 1995
County of Death: BELTRAMI

http://people.mnhs.org/dci/Results.cfm
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to retrofit88 For This Post:
Old 04-17-2013, 03:12:26 PM

Thanked 19,063 Times in 5,648 Posts
Talking Re: Early style two-cylinder Kinnard Haines Tractors

^ Dudley has made some fabulous acquisitions but THIS one must top all the rest!.......
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 04-17-2013, 06:31:29 PM
Registered-I

I think this tractor is advertised for sale in Antique Power Jan-Feb 2013
The Following User Says Thank You to acat65 For This Post:
Old 04-17-2013, 09:57:41 PM
Subscriber

Bruce, I would definatley like to see the scans from that catalog when you have time!

I thought the early 1900s photos of the Flour City exibit at the Minnesota State Fair on machinery hill was pretty neat, so I was searching for other photos and info on machinery hill last night. Found some neat photos of an early Twin City display. But also found the video below of machinery hill at the 2010 State Fair. I think it's pretty cool that vintage farm machinery is still displayed on machinery hill today!

So of course my next thought was...wouldn't it be neat to recreate the Flour City exihibit on machinery hill at the Minnesota State Fair some day?

wahlengines.com

Last edited by Jeff Wahl; 04-18-2013 at 12:33:59 AM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Wahl For This Post:
Old 04-18-2013, 08:06:28 AM
Subscriber

So of course my next thought was...wouldn't it be neat to recreate the Flour City exihibit on machinery hill at the Minnesota State Fair some day?

I would Love to see that!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:03:05 PM
Subscriber

Here are some pictures from part hunting in 2012 and spring of 2013 (first picture).

Both Front wheels were there but no hubs!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1408.JPG
Views:	830
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	211382   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	211383   Click image for larger version

Name:	ConnectingRod.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	211384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	211385  

Last edited by Benjamin Roth; 11-21-2014 at 09:05:06 PM. Reason: Add comment
Old 11-21-2014, 10:09:42 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,433 Times in 1,100 Posts

I guess that's not a problem anymore, Benjamin!
Old 11-23-2014, 09:27:36 PM
Subscriber

Right Phil! Here is a pair of really nice FC wheels that came from Canada. Amazing the things you can find on Stak!

My brother and I were very privileged to dig through the piles looking for parts. We each spent around 40 hours over a period of 6 weeks moving piles. Lots of iron was buried so we poked around with an iron bar and a metal detector.

Frame casting that sits above the rear axle.

Some more pictures showing how everything was spread out. This was an amazing place and gathering these parts was definitely a highlight of 2013.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PhilsWheels.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	211589   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrameCasting.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	211590   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1418.JPG
Views:	711