Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

My first project: Briggs and Stratton 4

this thread has 48 replies and has been viewed 3221 times

Old 08-07-2016, 01:21:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,127 Times in 1,449 Posts
Default Re: My first project: Briggs and Stratton 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleKartBow View Post
Now I realize it is a Kohler Generator with a Briggs Model B Engine?
Yes. At that time- in the 1940's- I believe that Kohler was yet to develop their own small air cooled engines. The ads for this Kohler plant are quite amusing in that they show very little of the engine, so that it is not readily apparent that it's a Briggs.

So, does your engine have six or seven head bolts?

Keith
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2016, 02:02:33 PM
Registered

Survey Says...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160807_105730_905.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	259807  
Old 08-07-2016, 06:44:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,113 Times in 416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleKartBow View Post
Today I met the mythical engine shaman of the desert, Buster Brown, and he showed me around his spread. At the end of the visit, when I was getting ready to head out, he offered me a project to start my collection/restoration hobby with at a price I couldn't refuse.

We are unsure exactly what model it is, but it has a cast iron shroud and the tank has a 4 Briggs and Stratton decal.

I brought it home and after dinner decided to hose it off a bit to remove some of the vintage desert deposits and maybe find some markings to identify it.

No luck on the ID, so maybe someone can give me a better idea of what this critter is.

Interesting to note, after we loaded it in my truck, I spun the starter cup and we spoke how the compression seemed a little weak, however, after hosing it off, I spun the starter cup again and saw a lot of bubbles coming out from around the spark plug... The compression may be better than we thought.

You have no idea how right you are. Desert shaman, yeah, Buster has forgotten more than I will ever know. Nice Model A find. I love the way they run.
The Following User Says Thank You to Everett Hayden For This Post:
Old 08-07-2016, 07:44:03 PM
Registered

Everett,

I believe you on that! Buster is quite a walking encyclopedia of engine knowledge.

I am planning to pull the wheel and give the electronics a look, that I need to clean the carb, fuel lines, drain the oil....

hope I can give that a go today/
Old 08-07-2016, 10:04:22 PM
Registered-II

CKB,

Is that an iron flywheel painted silver, or is it a zinc flywheel? If it's zinc, and you have spark, I would leave it alone! Those flywheels have a cast-in iron hub sleeve, and I wouldn't want to needlessly provoke that interface if I didn't have to. I have an older Briggs (FH, I think, slant fin, zinc carburetor, no tag, doggone it, and that hub sleeve is a bit loose. Somebody in the past (I've owned the engine well over 50 years) peened the zinc to tighten the interface, but it's still kinda wobbly. I just hope I don't have to ever take the flywheel off.

Make of this what you will. As to your play by play, keep on keepin' on and don't apologize, that's what we're here for. And someday someone new will be working on an engine like yours, and will find the information helpful.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 08-08-2016, 12:27:06 AM
Registered

I'm betting its Zinc, now that you mention it.

I was able to get the starter cup off, just like the manual says (3/8 extension through the holes, couple raps of a dead blw on the extension on the left side) and it came loose.

I hear what you are saying about the cast iron bushing in the zinc flywheel and leaving it be, however, there are a couple issues I need t address...

the engine is covered by a thick, caked, dirt/oil/prehistoric crud that I want to get cleaned off, and I can see it behind the flywheel and well...
And the Spark plug lead is in rough shape and will probably need to be replaced.

However, if I can't get the flywheel to come off, I guess I'll do my best with what I have access too.

Bow
Old 08-08-2016, 03:35:25 PM
Registered

Man, I don't know... I know what you mean about Historical Gun . But in AZ, where it is 107 at the moment, I am a bit concerned about air cooling...

Bow
Old 08-08-2016, 09:40:37 PM
Registered

Newbie question:

Where does one find the rubber seals for things like the glass filter bowl, etc?

or is there a suitable substitute material to use?
Old 08-08-2016, 10:40:45 PM
Registered-II

"Where does one find the rubber seals for things like the glass filter bowl, etc?"

I will look forward to getting the answer to that one myself. I always make my own gaskets for the fuel bowl, usually out of composition or cork. I tried to use an o-ring but had no luck.Keeping it in place without squirming away was too much for me.

Reproduction filters are available at low prices. I bought some from a mail order dealer and I think they were something like $7. I won't mention the dealer, because they proved to be disreputable and not someone I could recommend. I'm sure there are other dealers, though, who sell these inexpensive replacements.
The Following User Says Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 08-09-2016, 05:55:40 PM
Subscriber

I also use the composition or cork. NAPA has that material.
Due to advice on here I bought an OLFA circle cutter a while back, ebay I think, and it works real good for making the sediment bowl and other gaskets.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaryH For This Post: