Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Briggs 446777 Engine, Low Oil Shut Off

this thread has 33 replies and has been viewed 2122 times

Old 10-01-2017, 08:27:33 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Briggs 446777 Engine, Low Oil Shut Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprkplug View Post
Would you mind pointing out from the photos just what you see that was " designed to fail???" That's a load of BS
Load of BS you say, that rod broke in two different places top and bottom. Fatigue is what wiped it out, no warning no low oil pressure it simply broke! I have seen small air cooled engines run out of oil until they seized up and not a one of them broke the connecting rod. Mr plug you tend to argue in almost every post that I have ran across, so I am sorry if you disagree with my thought on the matter.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2017, 09:12:06 AM
Registered-II

I was in the small engine business as a B & S service distributor for over 45 years. That rod broke due to insuffient lubrication. I have seen 100s of them. A clean shattered rod would be overspeed, a melted rod is oil. It might of had oil but not enough or the right kind. Just lucky it didn't blow a hole in the side of the block, and take the camshaft too!

Above 40 degrees use nothing but #30 high detergent oil. Winter ( snow blower, log splitter, etc ) use 10W-30. B & S just in the last several years approved 10W-30 synthetic for year round. We saw lots of the older twins, either blown up or the valve seat popped out, every one was using multi viscosity oil.
The Following User Says Thank You to gdstew For This Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 09:26:31 AM
Banned

Tracy T, the proof is in the photos and the description: metal transfer from the rod to the crank. If there had been a design failure like what you claim, the bearing surface would still be shiny....not smeared due to no lubrication.

I was a Briggs and Stratton master service tech, certified expert status by Kohler, and ran my own repair business for years. That engine failed because of lack of lubrication. Period.

Blue, its about temperature. Always use the heavier oil for the temperature range you will be using the engine in.

The internet has given rise to armchair experts, folks who are honestly trying to help, and to a much lesser degree, those who actually know a thing or two. Unfortunately, we're all given equal room to say our piece. Same old thing, eh Gary?

Last edited by sprkplug; 10-01-2017 at 09:28:37 AM. Reason: replaced "oil", with "lubrication". More accurate.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sprkplug For This Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 10:25:24 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,496 Times in 1,633 Posts

Well the main thing is I want to prevent this happening again.
How can I determine if the oil pump was functioning? If it was by remote chance a bad filter, that will obviously be fixed when a new 1 is put on.

I will go back to castrol and use the 30 weight. I just remember when the overhead valve engines came out they said they needed the multi weight oil and since the chart showed it I thought I was in the clear. OH well so much for the book!
And as for designed failure.I am thankful the replaceable rods did give up the ghost and not something more expensive. I can repair and move on.

I am going to look at that wiring for that oil pressure switch, I just cant help but think that should a protected the engine.

well I looked up parts and I think these 3 listings will cover what I need.Looks to be a little under 180 for the parts. Then there is oil and filters as i want to change break in oil after a couple hours running.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Engine-Gasket....c100005.m1851

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Briggs-Strat...oAAOSwnONZCixg

https://www.ebay.com/p/Briggs-Stratt....c100005.m1851

Last edited by uglyblue66; 10-01-2017 at 11:52:35 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:40:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,127 Times in 1,449 Posts

Just as an aside, 10w-30 oil IS 30w once it's warm. I still bet on thermal breakdown.

I'll have to check what I use, but I believe that it is a Castrol 5w-30. One of the reasons was that it ranked highly in the thermal breakdown category. The other was the high film strength rating.

And affordable and readily available at Walmart.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:22:49 PM
Registered-III

How does the other rod look? I would definitely remove the other rod, and at the very least torque the cap back on and measure the bore. Now that you have the engine apart, spend the time to remove the crank, set it up on v blocks and check all critical surfaces with a micrometer. Pipe cleaners of various size work well to clean the oil passageways. Perhaps one of the oil passageways was clogged? Testing the oil pump, or replacing it would be a good idea; Briggs parts are rather cheap and readily available.

Chris
Old 10-01-2017, 03:53:10 PM
Registered-II

American engines used #30 oil for the last 60 ? years. Even the old OH Tecumsehs used straight oil in the summertime. It wasn't until Kohler came out with their overhead Command series that they recommended 10W-30 oil because they had hydraulic lifters. The straight #30 was based on the high heat of an air cooled engine. The multi viscosity oils such as 10W-30 is a 10 weight oil that heats up to a 30 weight but usually takes close to a 1/2 hour to do so. Then SOME of those oils are not good enough for the extra heat and they break back down. B & S never recommended multi viscosity in their overhead engine but did say that 10W-30 synthetic was an acceptable substitute.

The Hondas and Kawasakis have had different oil recommendations but that's a different discussion.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:04:22 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,577 Times in 723 Posts

I have used nothing but DMO #30, a heavy duty diesel motor oil in all my air cooled engines for the last 20 years or more and haven't had one fail yet. Only exception is for my snowblower, use DMO 0W40 in that because of the sub zero temperatures we get here during winter. I would not use a multigrade oil in an air cooled engine for summer use no matter what was in the manual.

Bill
Old 10-01-2017, 04:51:32 PM
Banned

Also remember that a low oil level shut-off is an entirely different animal from a low oil pressure shut-off. The low oil shutoff will kill the ignition, but the low pressure switch usually just turns on a light. There are systems that use a module or relay wired in to the ignition circuit along with the pressure switch, but they require a means to bypass while starting....otherwise you would crank forever trying to build enough pressure to allow the ignition to produce a spark.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:47:20 PM
Subscriber

Mr plug I am too tired at this point to debate this any longer today, but I ask you this. If it was a oil pressure or lack of oil, why did the other rod not suffer from the same?