Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Reproduction Efforts on Protecto-Motor Air Cleaners

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 454 times

Old 11-11-2018, 11:48:02 AM
Subscriber

Default Reproduction Efforts on Protecto-Motor Air Cleaners

I thought I'd post this topic again to see if anyone out there had given any serious thought to the classic "louvered" aluminum air cleaners as found on Briggs alphabetical series engines, and later, on Homelite MEPs for the military. Manufactured under the name "Protecto-Motor" (I believe a subsidiary of Donaldson); I think there's a market for them. The challenge, as many have correctly pointed out, is to fabricate a punch or other device to uniformly stamp the louvers around the "soda can". I actually contacted Donaldson a while back to see if they would at least look to see if the old manufacturing equipment was there; never really got a solid answer.
What made me revisit this is I see a Japanese outfit is making a much different air cleaner for minibikes and motorcycles, but utilize the louvers on the cover. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I don't see a way of accurate reproduction doing by hand-you'd never get the correct uniformity, and certainly too time-consuming along those lines for any attempt at mass production.

Thought this would be a good thread and imagination stoker now that the cruel, mean, non engine show winter season is fast approaching!!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom Schaech For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2018, 12:32:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,739 Times in 1,667 Posts
Default Re: Reproduction Efforts on Protecto-Motor Air Cleaners

Iíve found the cast aluminum elbows that the air cleaners sit on much harder to find than the air cleaners themselves. I wish someone would repop those, especially the ones for the WA and R models.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
Old 11-11-2018, 01:26:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,098 Times in 591 Posts

The cast parts should be easy. Maybe look into madeinchina.com or alibaba.com for a company in China to make them. The tooling would be too expensive here. I looked into having the Tillotson MS5A carbs recast years ago by Newton/New Haven die casting which was one of three companies I know of that used the same tooling to cast them for Tillotson and it was about $10k just to retool. Not worth it.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:24:46 PM
Subscriber

I kicked this around as well, I even started to work up a set of dies to punch the louvers. But as always got too many more important things to get done. I would think making repop cast aluminum elbows should be pretty easy but from the looks of things not so. Or maybe use one of them 3D printers some how. It wouldn't be made of aluminum but that would better then nothing. Just some thoughts.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:31:24 AM
Subscriber

There's a foundry in southern PA that can do the casting for the elbows. Not terribly expensive, and they do good work. I really want to continue exploring the "can" repro as I know many folks would benefit from their availability. Looking for others to join the discussion and provide helpful input, please!!!
Old 11-13-2018, 01:25:44 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,098 Times in 591 Posts

If you can get the cylinders made cheaply I still think the best way to make the louvers is to roll them like a HVAC beading tool works on ducting tubes. Have two rollers one male one female and roll them on.