Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Briggs & Stratton 5S & Model Y help

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 789 times

Old 11-11-2018, 11:38:20 PM
Registered

Default Briggs & Stratton 5S & Model Y help

Hello,
Iím new to the forum and new to these older Briggs engines. Iím guessing these questions have been asked before but I could use a little advice. Is it good to add lead additive to todayís fuel? I have access to non-oxy at the local station. The manual calls for SAE 20 oil, is SAE 30 ok or should I look harder for specialty oil? What is the best way to remove the flywheel without damaging it or the crankshaft? It looks like the magneto coils are no longer available, does anyone know of a good replacement? Thank you for sharing your expertise!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2018, 11:45:20 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Briggs & Stratton 5S & Model Y help

use a hermonic wheel puller for the flywheel, they still sell dead 20 wt oil...low compression engines can use leadfree gas,if u want to use instead of lead additive it wouldnot hurt..autozone
Old 11-12-2018, 08:07:09 AM
Registered

Thanks for the suggestions. Normally I use a harmonic balancer for flywheels but the flywheel on the 5S doesnít have any threaded holes on each side if the crankshaft to mount the puller. Hoping there are some other tricks. I have a similar situation on an old 4hp Kohler.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:16:32 AM
Registered

First off, as I recall, the retaining nuts are left hand threaded. On removing the flywheel, I have removed many of them by applying pressure (don't be too aggressive) under the flywheel and with the nut screwed almost all the way down, strike the nut sharply and squarely on the end of the crankshaft. You need more than a tap with the hammer to break it loose and likely will have to hit it more than once. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2018, 12:23:38 PM
Subscriber

I second what FLJIM says. On the 5s thread the nut back on and strike the end of the crankshaft while applying pressure to the flywheel with your other hand. The Y is different as it is not a taper shaft. It uses a strait shaft with a bolt through the center to secure. They can be stubborn. I lock the crank with a pipe wrench on the pto end then try to spin the flywheel off. These engines are very common and parts are plentiful. Finding a good coil is no problem. I think I have a dozen or more of each coil laying around. I don't live too far from you in New Prague. PM me if you need any info or parts.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:00:40 PM

We use a tool just like this one in the link. They work very well.
We run SAE 30W oil in all of our engines.

Flywheel Tool
SmokStak Member #28
Old 11-12-2018, 08:29:50 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,742 Times in 1,670 Posts

Be sure to use a brass, copper, or lead hammer when striking the end of the crankshaft. A steel hammer will damage it.

Check out my engine videos at https://m.youtube.com/user/Cletrac
SmokStak member #146
Old 11-13-2018, 02:31:40 AM
Registered-I

The older engines like the 5s and the Y do not have the hardened valve seats, so I would recommend using the lead substitute to keep from damaging the seats. I've got an old Model 8 (manufactured in 1951) I restored, and only use the non ethanol in it with lead substitute.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:13:30 AM
Registered

Thank you all for the great advice and tips. Iím anxious to give these a try and see what happens.

Turbo,
I may take you up on the parts offer once I get deeper into this engine and know whatís going on with it. If youíre interested I ugh thanks be interested in buying a coil from you just to have it on hand. I havenít tried to fire the Y yet, I need to get a gas tank for it. I think it has spark. It doesnít have the kick lever, looks like someone tried to convert it to a rope start and Iím actually thinking the pulley they used is backwards. Should the model Y engine rotate clockwise or counterclockwise?

This is an addictive hobby! Yíall are great!
Old 11-13-2018, 12:28:51 PM
Subscriber

Clockwise as you are facing the flywheel.
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo For This Post: