Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Briggs and Stratton model 14

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 458 times

Old 12-23-2018, 01:25:47 PM
Registered

Smile Briggs and Stratton model 14

I'm having a hard time finding a Briggs and Stratton model 14 in my area and I was wondering if someone could tell what they were used on mine was used on a empire walk behind tractor. I think they must have been used on other equipment. Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to crank For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2018, 02:27:48 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Briggs and Stratton model 14

I have a model 14 parts engine, what are you looking for?
The 14 was used on alot of the larger reel mowers, generators, garden tractors and whatever else a cheap 5hp engine was needed for in the 1950s.

Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Tron For This Post:
Old 12-23-2018, 04:15:41 PM
Registered

I'm looking for a complete motor. I'll be checking out some of the things you listed. Thank you
Old 12-23-2018, 09:51:47 PM
Registered-III

The model 14 engine that I have in pieces was on a belt driven generator. It has a straight crankshaft. The camshaft is broken in pieces and the valves and guides are currently out of it. The block would need to be bored and the seats cut. The coil and fuel tank are also missing at this time. Its probably not worth its weight to ship the entire thing. I thought you were looking for some parts not a whole engine.

Chris
Old 12-24-2018, 12:32:01 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,098 Times in 591 Posts

The model 14 was made from 1948-64 and was used on a zillion tractors, generators, water pumps, reel mowers, etc you name it. They made over 650,000 of them. That being said its a very desirable engine to small garden tractor restorers. The cheapest way to find one is on a 50's-60's 25" Locke mower but it will have 6:1 gear reduction. I have one on a 1956 25" Locke mower a friend was scrapping that runs like new and has about 85% original paint still in great shape I mow with in Summer.
Old 12-24-2018, 01:14:10 AM
Registered-III

I was going to mention the Locke specifically, but knowing they had a gear reduction crank on them I did not. Most everything Locke has plummeted in value. A friend had ten of them and could not give them away. He scrapped nine of them and saved the best mower for me. He had them on craigslist for over 2 years at just $50 each and there were no takers. Its a harsh view of the future of our hobby. There are not enough young folks interested. The 14s are great engines. I have two of them on Eclipse mowers and another on a pioneer gen-e-motor. A friend has one on a Tiger tractor. I gave him the coil off my model 14 parts engine. I kind of wish I held onto it, the price of a good working horseshoe coil has gone through the roof.

Chris
Old 01-15-2019, 12:43:44 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the good responses,
all good information
Old Yesterday, 01:21:24 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,098 Times in 591 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tron View Post
Most everything Locke has plummeted in value.
Not Locke mowers made before 1940. I have a bunch of some of the first mowers Locke ever made. My oldest being the 36th one they built. They're very rare and desirable because they only made handfuls then and almost none are left. The ones I've sold got premium price and I know if I wanted to sell the other 8 they would be gone in a heartbeat.