Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors Discussion on old marine engines, naptha, gas, oil or steam and vintage outboard motors.

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors

Help identify Lauson outboard jetdrive?

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 1895 times

Old 12-16-2016, 12:42:40 PM
Registered

Default Help identify Lauson outboard jetdrive?

Hello all,
I'm new here
I recently bought this outboard motor from a guy who blasted and painted the whole motor. While it looks good it has lost a lot of identification.
There is a number tag
T-636-02
Which I believe is a tecumseh number
The carburetor is made by lauson power which from what I have read on this forum Lauson was bought by tecumseh.
This is my first diaphragm carb.
Please help me identify the make model and year approx.
and an approx. value.
It will fire and I will clean the carb and fuel tank. Oh yeah , what is the gas / oil mix ratio?
I will have to wait till summer to try it out since there is a foot of ice here.
I hope my photos show up (it's my first time)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5764.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	270364   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5763.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	270365   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5762.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	270366   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5920.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	270367  

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2016, 01:19:42 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,006 Times in 3,909 Posts
Default Re: Help identify Lauson ? outboard jetdrive

Our engine club has 2 motors with a similar set up - jet drive with a power products - lauson/Techumseh 2 stroke engine. The diaphragm carb dates to the early to mid 1960s and into the early 1970s. Nice looking unit! DO NOT run it out of water! The lower end depends on water to cool the seals and gearing, and or the support bearing. One of our units has a vertical prop on a housing, the other a shielded right angle drive. We run one of ours (the vertical prop type) at the Sussex County fair, in a 35 gallon barrel, at low speed. it sure moves a lot of water in a hurry! The engine seems to be of about 2 HP. One caution - do not start open throttle! The first time we went to demonstrate it at last years show, the man who went to start it was not familiar with the throttle. He started it full throttle! Lit off first pull, and emptied the barrel in about 2 seconds, soaking a poor woman who was standing next to it! The poor lady was drenched! Squish - squish - squish, as she walked away. I guess she didn't mind too much, it was 95 degrees inside our building that day!

Fuel/oil mix ratio - 16:1. 1 cup SAE 30 NON-Detergent oil to 1 gallon of gas. You can use type TCW-3 two stroke OIL as well. NO modern lubes or premix, and do not deviate from the ratio. Running modern lubes will starve the bearings. As this is an air cooled engine, it runs hotter than a water cooled, so I would not run marine lubes in it. Use high test gas. DO NOT use alcoholized gas (E-10 or worse) if you can help it. It will affect the diaphragm. The diaphragm is still available from a good mower shop, as it was used in many engines, both 2 and 4 stroke.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 11:17:57 PM
Registered-II

Doublehaul
Welcome to the forum.
There is an active thread on the AOMCI forums
on an air cooled jet motor running hot.
http://aomci.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10007
It will be a good read for you.
Beware!
Old outboards are contagious, You get one ,you want more.
Good luck with your motor.

Steve A W

The Following User Says Thank You to Steve A W For This Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 03:09:38 PM
Registered

Thanks gentlemen for your responses and helpful information.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:39:45 PM
Sponsor

Exclamation Re: Help identify Lauson outboard jetdrive?

When you adjust your carb, do not set it so the engine sings like a bee at high speed! Proper setting is to adjust for best running, after the engine is warmed up, THEN back out the fuel adjuster until the engine JUST begins to break up. If you set up too lean, it causes overheating as described in the forum posted by Steve AW. At idle, set for best running, then back out the needle 1/8 turn. Steve, if you are on that forum, please pass along the info I posted. The owner probably has it set too lean. One other thing will cause heating - bad crankshaft seals.

I am surprised that that engine has the wind up starter. Those starters were only used for a few years, due to the fact that the sudden application of the strong spring on the pawl and crankshaft often lead to 2 things. 1) the starter pawl would break out the side of the starter cup on the engine or 2) the starter would actually snap the crank, where it passed into the block! A better choice would have been the pull cord starter. They both use the same starter cup and mounting on the engine shroud. Nice looking units!
Old 12-29-2016, 09:58:05 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Help identify Lauson outboard jetdrive?

Andrew
Got it done.

Steve A W

The Following User Says Thank You to Steve A W For This Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 10:43:59 PM
Registered

Could you give me some idea where to start with the air fuel mixers and which is which. They are a bit corroded near the point.
I will likely have to take the carb apart again since it doesn't seem to get any fuel through.
Thanks
Old 03-21-2017, 06:58:18 PM
Sponsor

I would start with the one nearest the engine at 1 turn out, the one further away, 11/2 turns out. The close one is idle mixture, the further high speed. The idle one you can set for best running, the high, you want the engine to run slightly rich. At high speed, back out until the engine begins to miss, then back in until the engine is JUST smooth. You do not want the engine singing like a BEE - you can burn it up!

Take out the fuel supply needle valve assembly in the center of the carb and make sure the port is not full of crud. If you have not replaced the diaphragm, do so. Todays crap E-10 eats and hardens the diaphrams. Use high test gas only, and follow fuel/oil mix directions. VERY CAREFULLY, clean out the fuel metering jets, which are near the edge of the throttle plate. If those ports are blocked or corroded with white rust, you may have to replace the carb. That carb was used on many techumseh, power products 2 and 4 stroke engines, and some REO 4 cycle aluminum block engines (built under license to techumseh), so there should still be some around.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:07:21 PM
Registered

Thanks for the information already given!!
As I have taken apart the carb the second time I noticed that the small end of the needle that comes in contact with the diaphragm was bent. It was bent when I took it apart the first time. There must be something wrong. I will attach a photo with a pen pointing to the needle.
Maybe there should be another gasket..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6388.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	278713  
Old 03-28-2017, 08:20:21 PM
Registered

I found a kit on e b a y

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/310551052881

Would this be what I could use?
My carb is missing the gasket that is the same shape as the diaphragm.