Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors Discussion on old marine engines, naptha, gas, oil or steam and vintage outboard motors.

Antique Marine Engines and Outboard Motors

Early US Marine Straight 8s/V8s?

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1180 times

Old 10-05-2017, 01:28:25 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,196 Times in 943 Posts
Default Early US Marine Straight 8s/V8s?

Will someone here be kind enough to save me several hours work re' the above??
I've always assumed Marine engine development was far ahead of autos, but've never really gotten involved in Marine engines...
January 1910 trade journals had announcements of a "new" Buffalo Gasolene Eng Co V8...
May1908 Motor Boating had a squib re' John Kowalsky building a 40-footer equipped with his own "8 cylinder engine"...another reference was to Kowalsky ads circa 1908-1910 or so stating 4, 6, 8 cyl engines were built...
Running across the above accidentally has my fickle curiosity piqued...I'd just like some info for comparisons, nothing complicated (or is that naive?)...
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2017, 09:21:13 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Early US Marine Straight 8s/V8s???

OOPS...I left out the question---I was lookiing for whatever the marine engine history books list as the first US marine straight 8 and V8s...
Old 10-09-2017, 04:18:25 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,577 Times in 873 Posts
Default Re: Early US Marine Straight 8s/V8s?

Hello all
Crikey. What a question.
Whilst researching another engine I came across this MotorBoating magazine from Dec. 1911. In it is a list of marine engine manufacturers and the models, or sizes of motors they made. There are a number of 8 cylinder engines and may well be a good basis for research.
Some of the 8 cylinder engines mentioned are:
Whitehall
Van-Blerck
Sterling Engine Co
Trebert
Emerson
The magazine is well worth a read. So much of it is still pertinent today.
The link is for what I was looking at. You can simply scroll up or down and zoom in to read. It is a long list of manufacturers.

Cheers Scott
https://books.google.com.au/books?id...0cycle&f=false
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 02:32:42 AM
Registered-III

SCOTTY 2---Many thxx for the reminder...
I had seen those lists---I believe they were published annually---and'd completely forgotten about them. Yes, they'll be an excellent source...
Riched Durgee, who has a vast knowledge of old marine engines posted a Sterling ad on oldmarineengine.com wherein Sterling states they built the first straight 8 marine engine , so I'll be digging around in rterling...
I'm not sure the Buffalo V8 ever got into production; Ive sen many old Buffalo ads of the period but don't recall any that mentioned a V8...
Same with Kowalski, altho I've not gotten to him yet...
Again, many thxx!!
Old 10-16-2017, 02:20:23 PM
Registered-III

Gave up on this; ran out of time to waste...
Did run down at least one of Craigs "8s"(1905)---was two fours attached inline...
At least one of Godshalks "8s" (1904) was actually two 4s in tandem....
Sterling ads claim they first with inline 8, but probably means first in series production...
Sterling reportedly estab 1903; in Feb that year H E L Trebert & Co were advertising 2, 4, 6, 8 cyl verticals...
I'm assuming Treberts 8s were custom orders, not serial production, as several of the period builders stated "larger sizes built to order" or some such language...
Did find one period Buffalo ad that mentioned their V8 under high-speed engines, but didn't try to determine if ever got into serial production...