Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 4.0 CCK Low Voltage

this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 6447 times

Old 11-01-2005, 05:19:47 PM
Registered-I

Default Onan 4.0 CCK Low Voltage

I recently acquired an Onan genset, model # 4.0CCK-1R/6900P, SN 0272411579. It starts and runs fine, however the output voltage is very low, if any. Does the unit need to be grounded to work?

Also, where can I get repair/service manuals for this genset? Thanks,
-Jerry
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2005, 09:30:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,580 Times in 1,004 Posts
Default Re: Onan 4.0 CCK Low Voltage

Jerry:
You should be able to get a manual from Onan. Those are good solid well made machines designed to last a very long time. Make sure it is running at the correct speed before doing anything else. Engine speed directly regulated output voltage. Make sure the brushes are not bound up in their holdrs and that the slip rings are clean. How low of voltage are we speaking about?
Old 11-01-2005, 10:27:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 14,179 Times in 6,676 Posts

Just as Gunny told you check the speed should be at 1800 rpm.Then check the brushes and slip rings.Let us know what you find.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:44:00 AM
Registered-I

Thanks for the info. While I wait for a service manual, can someone guide me through checking/cleaning brushes/slip rings?

I checked again last night and I'm not getting enough to get a good reading. The meter is showing less than 1 V, which I'm guessing means there is no output.

-Jerry
Old 11-02-2005, 12:33:21 PM
Subscriber

Hi Jerry.

Engine off, battery disconnected.

Start by pulling the generator end covers. Loosen the 2 screws that clamp the large band around the end, then remove 2 small bolts that hold the endcap in place.

The endcap should fall free, and you should be able to slide off the band.

Inspect everything you find. Blow out dirt and cobwebs etc with a shop vac and soft brushing. Look for burnt or broken wires, or loose terminals.

There will be 2 separate brush assemblies, 1 set runs on the commutator surface - the segmented or toothed looking part that spins. This is the DC part of the generator, for starting and charging, and if your CCK is starting and running, it is working now.

A -1R should also have 2 smooth slip rings, likely with 2 paralleled brushs running on each surface. These provide the AC ouput. You can wipe the sliprings clean, maybe with a clean cloth and some alcohol. And make sure the brushes slide in/out of their holders, and are being pressed against the slip rings.

That should get you started, let us know what you find when you get the covers removed.

Steve
Old 11-02-2005, 02:20:53 PM
Registered-I

I'll get started tonight. It starts and runs great (the choke needs to be manually held until it warms up, also quite a bit of oil on the plugs). I'll change oil, plugs etc., and repalce the fuel line which is a bit beat up. Is it critical that it be grounded? I suppose so, at least for safety's sake.

-Jerry
Old 11-02-2005, 03:02:18 PM
Subscriber

Standard for any generator is to connect the frame to a good local earth ground or a ground rod.

That said, no it's not critical to the proper operation of the genset for it to be grounded. It will (or won't) generate electricity either way. As you suggested, the ground is for safety reasons. You don't want to be standing outside in the rain, and get a poke when you touch something metal on the generator.

If the generator is not hooked to any external wiring yet, just sitting on the floor or your workbench, there shouldn't be any circuit path back thru you that would include ground, so you're pretty safe.

You still don't want to touch any bare wires or terminals with the engine running.

This was probably a motorhome generator originally. Few mh's are grounded when they are using generator power.

Which brings up another thing to check:

If this was originally in a motorhome, has someone added a local outlet to it that you are plugging into to check voltage? Is there a fuse or circuit breaker box wired in?

If so, while you are examining these, wiggle the wires going to them. I've seen home class receptacles with solid wire added many times. The wire can harden, become brittle, and crack from vibration.

Also, your generator can supply over 30 amps on a single 120 volt lead. Most home style $0.50 receptacles are only good for 15 or 20 amps. I've seen more than a few outlets cooked internally by overloading.

Steve
Old 11-02-2005, 04:52:28 PM
Registered-I

Yes, an external 30A breaker box and another receptacle box were added. I checked voltage on the receptacles first, and when there was none, went to the lugs in the breaker box. No joy. With a wiring diagram, I suppose I could trace it back even further and see what I get.

-Jerry
Old 11-02-2005, 08:53:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 14,179 Times in 6,676 Posts

Email me and I can send you a copy of the print.My email billyshafer4@aol.com
Old 11-03-2005, 12:12:55 PM
Registered-I

I sent you an email