Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Mag voltage from a John Deere model E

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 2402 times

Old 05-08-2010, 07:51:10 PM
Registered-II

Default Mag voltage from a John Deere model E

Hi guys, I have a model E that is whooping my >>#$%#$$#@!! Engine runs fine with a battery and coil. When running and I check the voltage on the ac side of the meter I get 6 volts and when she slow a little 5.75 until she hits again and then 6 may be 6.15. What is everyone eles get? I had the mag charged, take this with a grain of salt, it was from a aircraft guy and had a bad battery and had to supply my charger to get the battery up to better than dead. I can feal the pulse when turning by hand. I have checked everything else ( I think!!). Runs fine with just a small makita battery and a automotive coil. What does anyone think? Gave up for the day and decided to ask for advise. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2010, 09:54:49 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Mag voltage from a john deere model E

Have you timed the mag ?

John Deere "E" Engine

Match the timing mark on the camshaft gear with the mark on the magneto gear. Make sure the igniter is timed properly then press the timing rivet marked “L” on the magneto while the flywheel is turned and the rivet should drop into the notch and start out just as the igniter trips. If necessary adjust the trip finger slightly until it trips exactly at this time. Art.

COAL
GUNS
FREEDOM
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLinkloader For This Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 08:13:05 AM
Registered-II

Did that. I don't think I have enough voltage. I have a mag gear that has a lot of marks on it. punch marks, chisel marks. I first set it with the punch mark and ended one tooth off when checked with the timing pin. I set with the pin. Still nothing. Thanks
Old 05-09-2010, 12:54:16 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 3,017 Times in 940 Posts

That's a bit on the low side. I think it is supposed to put out around 4 volts at cranking speed, and a little over 12 volts running.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:05:10 PM
Registered-II

Thanks, I really do think it is low. now I just need to get the mag charged I think. Does anyone know where to get it charged in TX? I hate to send it off. I do appreciate any input.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:50:02 PM
Registered-III

I can charge them but farther from you in panhandle area. You might try Russell 972-564-9485 in Forney out east of Dallas closer to you. Just ask if he can do horse shoe magnets before driving over there. His main thing is racing engines and rebuilding Vertex mags that have 6 or 8 pole magnets not antique stuff.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:30:46 PM
Registered-II

Thanks alot! I'll get on the phone.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:50:05 PM
Subscriber

Had the same problem w/ my Rumley. Ran fine on a small battery/coil but would die on the mag. Spin the mag hard w/ a drill and got ~6 volts AC. When I discussed it w/ a very sharp engine man, he smiled and said I had a bad ignitor. Thought he was nuts but cleaned the ignitor well, replaced the mica sleeve and she hasn't missed since. Good luck!
Old 05-10-2010, 08:14:23 PM
Registered-II

Thanks, I installed new mica and stationary point. Cleaned everything. Still nothing.
Thanks