Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Wisconsin, unknown twin, weak spark on one cylinder

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 3180 times

Old 01-04-2012, 02:49:18 PM
Registered

Default Wisconsin, unknown twin, weak spark on one cylinder

Howdy, y'all. I'm stuck in a hard spot. As I sit, I'm on the roadside reading all I can on a connection from who knows where.

The engine is down the street in a Ryder truck outfitted to blow in wool insulation. I think it's a TF or TJ, but as far as I can tell, it's a parallel twin with magneto. The mag has HK on the side of it above four digits I don't recall offhand.

I've replaced the cap, which was cracked, plugs, wires, the rotor, points, and condenser. Without specs, I eyeballed the points at about .015 and it came right online.

Watching the spark testers, the cylinder towards the PTO side is not firing much at all. Yesterday, once I was finished, I had the same result, but out of nowhere it started firing pretty regularly, but still intermittant. Lots of popping out of the exhaust.

I start it today after making a set of solid copper wires for it, and right from the start that rear cylinder is near dead. The front shows a bit of a miss as well.

The thing looked fine on the inside, everything was tight when I put the cap on.

Somebody here must have had a similar experience, or knows exactly what I've done wrong, or have yet to do for that matter. I'm fairly adept, have an adequate tool box, and should be able to comprehend any advice given. I'd sure appreciate it, and so would the guys. They've got a customer waiting on me, and I'm about at a loss.

Thanks, and thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2012, 03:54:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,638 Times in 990 Posts
Default Re: Wisconsin, unknown twin, weak spark on one cylinder

Wisconsins are bad about valves sticking, is set very long. You may not have a spark problem, but a problem with a valve sticking Check the compression on both cylinders with a compression tester before you go any further. You don't say what the sprak plugs look like.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:30:09 PM
Registered-III

Hi

Not an uncommon problem.

First I need to know witch magneto you have. When you removed the cap was there a distributor type rotor.

Send me a PM and I will give you my phone number.

Phil P
Old 01-04-2012, 05:02:25 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Barrett View Post
Wisconsins are bad about valves sticking, is set very long. You may not have a spark problem, but a problem with a valve sticking Check the compression on both cylinders with a compression tester before you go any further. You don't say what the sprak plugs look like.
Have yet to check the plugs, as they're new. It'll be something to check when I get back to the engine.

I confirmed the intermittant spark by connecting the weak plug wire to the block with a spark tester in series. Same result.

I have, however, noted that the throttle shaft shows a good bit of wear, and that mixture problems will soon follow after taking care for the spark situation, and a bit of use.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:08:51 PM
Registered

Okay, the plugs look great considering one is only firing a fraction of the time.

The engine is a TJD, I was able to make it out, but the tag is in a tight spot.

After adjusting the points, I've came back to the same conclusion.

Here's some pics I took. Can anyone tell me where the rubber and the washer are supposed to go? They were absent when I took all of this apart.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:26:30 PM
Subscriber

Have you tried it with the kill switch disconnected? I have seen a bad switch do strange things. But do check compression. On our older engines we had to give the valves an extra 2 thou. on the adjustment.They would too hot and start to leak by the end of the day. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:58:51 PM
Registered-III

I'd like to see a photo of the inside of the cap to see if the terminals are 90 or 180 degrees apart. For you Wisconsin experts, how does a magneto with a direct drive rotor work on a TJD? Can it generate a spark in only 90* or rotor rotation?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:10:46 PM
Email Not Working

The Wisconsin TF fires both plugs at the same time, and you can switch the plug wires with no change in engine operation. I believe that on the TJ, the cylinders don't fire at 180 degrees, so that the mag is different.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:29:10 PM
Registered-III

The TJD fires at 180 and 540 degrees of crank rotation. The TH and older engines fire at 360 and 360* I was curious how a magneto produces a spark with only 90* of rotor rotation. If that engine is indeed a TJ, the plug terminals in the mag. cap should be 90 and 270 degrees apart. That's why I was curious to see the inside shot of the cap. This may be another situation that was discussed here recently where a member had a TH distributor cap on a TJ engine.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:36:04 PM
Registered

Well, the machine went back to work running on one cylinder. A lot of posts I read, people said the engine ran fine before the trouble started, and indeed it will run well enough on one cylinder for a while. I'm leaning towards the coil, but may also be converting it to the battery coil distributor from the previous engine.

I'll be back when I get back to the engine. Thanks, everyone for your insight.