Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Needing 32 volt bulbs, ect.

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 3737 times

Old 06-25-2001, 08:13:57 PM
R Lee

Default Needing 32 volt bulbs, ect.

I am looking for sources for 32 volt light bulbs and appliances. Running a WW2 Army Signal Corp Generator. Any help, gladly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2001, 12:24:42 AM
Tom Miller

Default Re: Needing 32 volt bulbs, ect.

I can't help you with the appliances but I have a Sylvania light bulb catalog. They manufacture 30, 32, and 34 volt bulbs in various sizes. I imagine GE has a similar offering. I went to a local electrical supplier and they ordered some bulbs for me. I ended up with 34 volt bulbs. There was some reason they couldn't get the other voltages although they are in the catalog. Maybe you would have to buy them in case lots or something. I was able to buy the 34 volt bulbs individually. However, they weren't cheap. It has been a while but I think they were about $5.00 apiece. Also, 12 volt bulbs are quite readily available. You could run 3 in series for a 36 volt rating. Just a suggestion!
Old 06-26-2001, 04:37:22 PM
Russ Hughes

Try some of the marine, or boating supply houses. They still use 32 volt lamps in commercial fishing vessels among other places. Of course if you are far inland this might not be your best source. As someone else said, try electrical supply houses, but small volume ordered purchases might be expensive.
Old 06-26-2001, 06:40:21 PM
Kid Dynamo

Here in Seattle, 32vdc systems were the deluxe systems for "house" batteries on power boats longer than about 45 feet. Light bulbs and equipment like pumps, motors and fans were readily available. 32vdc was also found on some commercial boats for emergency lighting. Now, however, I'm told by a friend who "knows" that 32vdc has pretty much fallen by the wayside and that all the bigger house systems are now 24vdc. I guess I'll start eyeballin' the marine swap meets in the future for some of that cast off 32vdc "junk"!!!
Old 06-26-2001, 08:14:21 PM
Bruce Bailey

I found out when I was trying to find 32 volt bulbs that the railroads still use 32 volt on their trains and for some reason they buy 34 volt bulbs now. The electrical supply places can order them but only in cases of 144 bulbs. I bought some on the internet a couple of years ago at seamar.com a marine supply place on the west coast.
Old 06-27-2001, 06:09:35 AM
Richard

West Marine 1-800-262-8464 lists house hold bulbs in 32v from 15w thru 100w you can order over the phone in any amount, prices are good! Mini bulbs are also available in many sizes and base types.
Old 06-28-2001, 02:45:14 AM
paul

Appliances can be had if you look carefully at antique stores and flea markets. Put your auction salw friends on the caase, Most 32 volt appliances will be labled, on the name plate. So far I have found a toaster aand a few motors. When I asked the lady who runs my favorite antique shop she had absolutely no idea such things existed, so it pays to look closely.
Old 07-13-2001, 12:34:46 PM
Allan Molho

Hi there,

I am a rep in the Marine business, and West Marine is probably the best bet around the country. They have an online catalog at westmarine.com. The other lead was good too seamar is Seattle marine and fishing, a commercial supply house.There are many commercial operations in the gulf coast too , Houston, and New Orleans are big centers.