Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Oil City/ South Penn intake valve stem

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2211 times

Old 02-25-2008, 12:01:58 AM
Registered-II

Default Oil City/ South Penn intake valve stem

The intake valve stem on my Half-Breed is bent over and twisted, probably from some past loading or unloading.
I straightened it enough to lift the valve a bit and it looks like there is a boss on the valve head that might hold threads.
Has anyone removed one of these?? Is the stem threaded onto the head?
If so, right hand or left hand threads??
I figured I should ask the experienced before I become one!!
Thankx much for any input!!!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2008, 02:45:33 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,178 Times in 3,995 Posts
Exclamation Re: ..Oil City/ South Penn intake valve stem..

Mike,
The one on our 15 HP OC/SP has a threaded head. There is a lock nut on the top of the head, and the threads extend about 1/8" thru the nut. The excess threading is peaned over, to prevent the head and or lock nut from coming loose. Combustion temps never reach this valve, so you don't have to worry about the nut being exposed. On the bottom of the stem, there is also a threaded portion, about 2" long. There is a light tensioned tapered spring, which is adjustable thru moving the 2 lock nuts' position on the stem. Note; The weight of the valve closes it - the spring's duty is to keep the valve from chattering. Our spring only has about 1 turn of tension, after contact with the body of the air inlet seat. If the spring is set tighter, the valve does not seem to operate properly. The entire stem and head assembly weighs in at about 1&1/2 pounds!
Andrew
Old 02-25-2008, 06:27:38 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Oil City/ South Penn intake valve stem

..thankx, Andrew, I see what you mean, where the center hole is flared over to stake the thread. But, the "nut" on top is a part of the valve head. The thread looks to be about a 5/16, which seems awfully small for a valve head that I'll have to use a toilet plunger to lap in!!!
I'll see what happens when I tear in to it!
Thankx!
Mike
Old 02-27-2008, 08:25:24 PM
Registered

on my oc/sp 20 the intake valve was one piece but did have a boss on the top of the valve head. When i made the new one i made it two piece. It also had a sleeve threaded on the bottom of the stem to limit it's travel.Believe that to be either original or put on in the field at least.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:22:47 PM
Registered-II

..thankx Rhett. Looks like the 15 and 20 horse don't share the same valve. I had to cut the shaft to get it apart, and it sure looked like a two piece unit.
But it would NOT unthread! Left or right.
I drilled it out, but never found any threads!! So I cut it off at the valve head, and will thread a hole and make a new shaft.
There was no spacer under the spring, but the nut looked pretty new, so if there was one, it was lost.
Thankx for help!

Mike
Old 03-12-2008, 12:21:30 AM
Sponsor

Exclamation Re: Oil City/ South Penn intake valve stem

There is a brass sleeve - fitting, on the valve stem, betwen the valve mount casting (stem), and the nut holding the valve spring washer, locks it in place. This sleeve acts as a limiter to valve travel - ours limits the valve is set to about 1/2" of travel. As I understand it, valves were 1 piece originally. The 'nut' at the valve head was for lapping in the valve head to the seat. There is NO tapir to the valve, however, it and the seat must seat flat and flush, in order to regulate gas flow properly! The spring is relatively weak, and sits around the sleeve, against the valve stem with a washer, and the valve stem/body casting Our valve is not original - it was long gone when we got the engine. Sorry for any confusion. The limiter sleeve also keeps the valve from whacking the sylinder during the intake cycle!
Andrew
Old 03-12-2008, 09:53:40 AM
Registered-III

The South Penns I have also have a sleeve on the valve stem. I don't think any of the parts are original, but they probably are close to what they originally had.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:10:59 PM
Registered-II

Wow!
I’d better make a sleeve!!
˝ inch you say??
Thankx!!

Mike
Old 03-12-2008, 06:29:08 PM
Subscriber

you may be able to find a good one pretty cheap if you dont want to go through the hassle. tom schoolcraft would be the gent to talk to.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:44:47 PM
Sponsor

Exclamation Re: Oil City/ South Penn intake valve stem

Ditto on TOM - he was of great assistance to us in getting the OC/SP running. Thanks Tom
Andrew