Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines A gathering place for OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". Basically, if you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines

Reid Valve Box Sealing

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1025 times

Old 09-26-2017, 01:52:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,111 Times in 605 Posts
Default Reid Valve Box Sealing

I recently purchased a Left hand 20 hp . I pulled the valve box or cylinder it is from the main casting. It is nice and clean, but where someone in time past taking it apart drove a chisel into the gasket and into the lower sealing ring.
I would guess that what it seals would be the charging cylinder pressure and intake. So if it leaks a bit it may not affect the running. Any opinions ?
Options would be to weld it up and machine it down, maybe just machine it clean and make a spacer gasket ?
The crank appears bent a bit too.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2017, 09:14:31 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Reid valve box sealing

Try repairing the gouge with JB weld.Clean off the area,assemble with gasket ring.I did it on a 12 hp.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ellis Wellman For This Post:
Old 10-04-2017, 08:43:10 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Reid Valve Box Sealing

I turned my valve's steps in the lathe. You'll need to turn both steps though, so the outer and inner seals seat together. Measure your block and make sure the steps on the valve match it.

My inner seal is made of 1/8" brass channel (or is it 9/64ths?) butt soldered (soft) with the opening on the outside and filled with 1/8" graphite packing, which compresses outwards against the block. The outer, lower seal is an O-ring, which compresses easier than the brass. Like you said, it only needs to contain the charge--not the cylinder pressure. This gives the brass a better chance to seal. This combination has been running almost daily for over ten years, under pretty heavy load.

My guess is the O-ring will seal the wound just fine for you. It's not under as much pressure as the upper seal. It stays cool too, so JB weld should work too, like Mr. Wellman suggested, but be sure to degrease it well.

Bent cranks and run-out in the flywheels are pretty common, I think. I've got a lot of wobble on my drive-side flywheel, but it was machined that way. Bent cranks are kind of a weakness of Reids. Even the manual talks about it, cautioning against throwing the reversing clutch back too fast. Still, 119 years later, it's still making a living, so I can't complain.

Hope this helped.

Joel
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joel Sanderson For This Post: