Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines A gathering place for OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". Basically, if you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines

Lorain Engine

this thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 6963 times

Old 11-25-2011, 02:33:35 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Lorain engine

DWAYNE, I have some literature on Lorain engines along with settings and service info. The model type should be on a tag behind the fly wheel and just below LORAIN.
If you want a copy of what I have e-mail me your e-mail address etc and I will send you scanned copies about 12 pages.
Note when sending your e-mail make sure you head it LORAIN so I can pick it out of the spam file.
The literature I have covers L-O-Rand A types, it lists all the specs, opperating instructions, service requirements, clearances, capacities etc, in fact everything you need to know.
I bought a L type LORAIN from Gary Craft with a large compressor attached, I am in the process of restoring it, what an engine, designed to last for ever, I too found the crank area to be clean and like new no wear what so ever or should I say within the tolerances shown in the paperwork.
Mine has been converted to run on LP gas and also has a naterual gas regulator, I am missing the air filter housing if you come across one let me know. You will be delighted with the paperwork, anybody else out there that needs this paperwork can also send me an e-mail to itsabuck@aol.com, good luck with yours let me know if I can help in any otherway. Brian Nash
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian Nash For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2011, 06:40:20 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,976 Times in 818 Posts

With those two IHC trucks you just got, how do you find time to work on this engine? You must be retired. The only thing I ever find in my yard after I return from a trip are beer bottles and fasr food wrappers.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:12:50 PM
Sponsor

OK, I now have this engine back near it's birthplace. I was surprised to see that I had responded to the original post years back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9073.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	291637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9074.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	291638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9076.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	291639   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9077.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	291640  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craig Donges For This Post:
Old 09-18-2017, 11:59:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,419 Times in 980 Posts
Default Re: Lorain Engine

Thanks for posting Craig. I know you bought that for yard art, but you might as well get it up and running. I just got way to busy and had too many projects going.

We sure had fun in Ohio and West Virgina. Looks like there was a big aution in Ohio that I should have checked out.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:12:33 PM
Sponsor

Good seeing you and the crew. Yes, there probably was a big auction, we have a lot of them in these parts. Some days you have to decide which auction you want to go to.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:49:34 AM
Registered

My father was a pumper at Cotton Vallley La. for Murlphy Oil Co from Eldorado Ar. He had four wells with Loraine engines powering them. They were installed around 1949-50 and removed from service around 1968. The engines had a platform on the side that had a Cushman engine that ran in the opposite direction of other engines driving a friction wheel with a chain that would be forced against the flywheel to start the engine. They did not have mufflers and when they fired could be heard for a mile. I helped him replace the liners and cross head bearings several times. As I remember it was a little tricky to remove the cross head and crank rod.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomkatlee For This Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 04:23:28 AM
Registered-I

funny that this thread would come up. just saw a lorain on a shut-in well in the Rose City oilfield in Northern Michigan. neat what you find running the old fire roads. theres even some foundations where the old rodline powers used to sit. some old cable laying around too.