Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 6.5 NH-3CR J, picked up free out of a yard. Nothing's ever free...

this thread has 86 replies and has been viewed 3456 times

Old 09-18-2018, 10:38:07 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Onan 6.5 NH-3CR J, picked up free out of a yard. Nothing's ever free...

Once you start collecting there is no turning back, no cure, you’ll be resigned to your fate forever :-) maybe it’s the pretty onan color, although certain others paint them pink and continue with their commitment to the cause anyway :-)

It’s fun though, easier to work on generators than cars and you’re not stranded if you’re missing a part halfway through the job :-)

Bill
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2018, 10:50:38 PM
Registered

Default Re: Onan 6.5 NH-3CR J, picked up free out of a yard. Nothing's ever free...

I used to be a mechanic... Iv never bought a car that runs, still fiddle with vintage bikes. The Onan is interesting for how overbuilt it is compared to today's plastic junk. I found myself wanting to put a microsquirt on it with FI and electronic ignition, then reminded myself, it only runs today because its a tank. It sat full of water FFS.

I now have a whole case of the odd green paint too... Still gonna pretty it up and put it in a box at least. Might well do that much since apparently there's an unspoken law that its now mine (until it outlives me, obviously). Just have to sit back and wait for a better stationary genset for the next place when I don't have to gut the bloody place to do anything beyond painting the walls.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:12:31 PM
Sponsor

nothing is ever easy or simple unless it is done wrong [IMHO]

assuming the existing load center is full of breakers or
there is no interlock available
[most all have an aftermarket one that works]
if the meter to panel conduit is such a transfer switch is impractical
then if the meter gen-link is not approved locally....
or it is just not in the budget.

I would bring the generator power into the house to a set of outlets
either centered and use extension cords or
dispersed near the needed loads, for the individual load transfer.

back feeding is high on any insurer's lists of why to deny coverage.
that you have been advised here not to do so for reasons civil and criminal
but criminally and negligently do so any way
is a prosecutor's and plaintiff's lawyer's (+++) dream.

not to mention murphy
CAVEAT EMPTOR
YMMV

Last edited by armandh; 09-19-2018 at 08:58:24 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:09:16 PM
Registered

Appreciate the vote of common sense, Iv already folded and given up the idea of a tie in for the house till further notice (Unexpected panel upgrade or such). But to avoid confusion, the breakout cord I was referring to is a cord I put together that takes a L14-30 plug and breaks it down into 8 120v outlets, and 2 common 240v outlets, that is also breaker protected. Works great when you have several people wanting to charge their phones and run a fridge, not intended for big loads, just lots of small loads in several directions.

Did this last year because somehow I ended up being the only one in the locality with a working generator. So I rented out plugs for gas! So TLDR, its now my load center for the Onan. Handy.

Or... No physical house connection, but I can still run the quad feeder to the back of the house and put the pole on that end instead... Would only have power to the plugs when the genset is running, but it is what it is at this point. Trying to make the best of what I already have without stepping on toes at this point. Heck of a lot better than years past. I still have a strong vote for skipping the rest of hurricane season though! lmao
Old 09-20-2018, 07:00:01 AM
Sponsor

my late mother [then 95] needed help when a straight line summer wind storm
did major pole damage across a 3 adjacent muni area.
the downed wire at the end of the street served only 10 homes,
a low priority when 10s of thousands are out.

I brought my trailer mounted, 7.2 KW Kohler powered Homelite,
and a wheeled trash can full of 12 ga extension cords & breakout boxes.
a week straight running 1 window AC, refrigerator, microwave, lights, etc.

by the end of the week there were others one could hear running

your current plan to pre-position part of the run is very practical.
CAVEAT EMPTOR
YMMV
Old 10-09-2018, 11:11:03 PM
Registered

Welp... seeing as there is a cat 3 hurricane sitting out there, Figure maybe I should get something done eh? Got the set back to my house, gave it a good degreaser bath, and got it set on the stand. Looks like a good fit for what I have planned.

Hooked up the new fuel lines, fixed the crank breather, new plug wires, temporarily wired in new ATC fuse holders because I managed to break not one but BOTH fuse holders while getting it into the building (which had 15 and 20amp fuses... really guys?...), wrapped the headers in exhaust wrap (What a difference on radiant heat... This should be a no brainer for these things! DO IT), and found a old stainless elbow off a pool heater that fit the exhaust perfectly. Rotated the blower scroll so it will blow out the back side, and discovered I can run the exhaust concentric with the blower air. One hole out the wall, no need for a heat break (metal wall anyways). Since the storms supposed to be coming to town tomorrow I just picked up a length of flex pipe and will patch it to an old car muffler. Its all outside the structure and its a detached shed, CO is unlikely and it will be actively ventilated by the generator anyways. No the pictures do not represent installed orientation, Haven't cut the wall out yet, so had to vent it out the front by rotating it. Once the hole is made, need to knock out a rectangle duct, make up a vibration bellows, and screen it. Course the entire thing will be boxed in an insulated baffled box once done too.

The rear motor mount is sacked... And I just installed this thing in an off grade wood based metal shed. I just built a 1800hz 1000cc sub/woofer. Going to pick up a couple rubber/cork isodampers from work tomorrow and float the whole thing till I can sort the butt end mount.

Never got any wire run or the sort due to the weather, being busy with everything else, (and lost enthusiasm). Just going to use my breakout box from years past if I end up needing this thing tomorrow. Works being ridiculous and calling us all into work and will only call off if it gets unreasonable out... Trying to decide if I should make some noise about it or give it the what were you thinking after the fact lol.

(end ranting)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180920_204552.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	320493   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180922_202312.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	320494   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181009_213004.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	320495   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181009_213151.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	320496  
Old 10-10-2018, 07:26:10 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,769 Times in 2,272 Posts

Just a couple suggestions that likely you have already considered.

Get it up higher for a storm flooding surge? May not be a problem in your neighborhood?
Cut a hole in the base to run a hose to drain the oil.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:33:10 AM
Registered-I

Nice job with the exhaust wrap. I did the same thing to my CCK. Big improvement, no more instant 3rd degree burns if you accidentally touch the manifold.

Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to reid070 For This Post:
Old 10-10-2018, 07:53:07 AM
Sponsor

please be sure to rodent proof the air/exhaust outlet
CAVEAT EMPTOR
YMMV
Old 10-10-2018, 08:12:05 AM
Registered

Fortunately my house is already the highest area in the area by a large margin, and the building it's in is another foot and some change above grade. If it floods here, game over.

I actually have a nipple and ball valve for the drain... And bought the wrong damn size. Need to go get a reducer or get the right one. The stand brings it 6" above floor level so easy to drain into a pan.

The outlet of the vent will have mesh over it and a hood. The original mesh was falling apart, so I took it out and will just install it at the outermost point.

All good points.
The Following User Says Thank You to RB855 For This Post: