Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Off Topic Discussion > Antique Autos and Trucks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Autos and Trucks All about finding and fixing old car or truck engines and vintage vehicles.

Antique Autos and Trucks

Welding Broken Exhaust Manifold

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 8219 times

Old 02-10-2007, 11:49:03 PM
Registered

Default Welding Broken Exhaust Manifold

Greetings.............. I have an exhaust manifold off a 1938 DeSoto 228 flathead six long block. (in a 38 Dodge Humpback Panel Truck) It has a broken piece off one of the four corners where the exhaust pipe attaches. I couldn't find the piece any where in the collection of parts when I bought it. Where and what should I look for when chosing a welder to do this restoration? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2007, 01:41:35 AM
John G. Simpson

Default Re: Welding Broken Exhaust Manifold

Francis. are you doing a restoration or making a runner out of it?
it can be built up with ni rod (arc weld) or it brazed. don't mig weld it.
i normally braze manifolds, as they are often too thin to arc weld, if only the flange is missing arc welding will work great.
have you tried some of the chrysler obsolete sites. e-bay has some sites also
hope this helps.
john
Old 02-11-2007, 02:09:10 AM
Franz

In all honesty, start by finding a replacement manifold, because a beginner doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of welding a cast exhaust manifold successfully.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:46:48 AM
Registered

Sounds like you need "PROFESSIONAL" advice or a "PROFESSIONAL." Most Welding shops sould have someone that can weld it for you or give you "PROFESSIONAL" advice. When we had a welding shop we charged about 60.00 per hour. DAn
Old 02-11-2007, 04:52:52 PM
Bryan T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz© View Post
In all honesty, start by finding a replacement manifold, because a beginner doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of welding a cast exhaust manifold successfully.

I agree with John & Franz here, cast is funny to weld, & takes some skill
to repair, heating both metals being welded & cool them together,, slow evenly
is just part of the key,,,if you have not welded before this is not the piece
of metal to try on....I would look for a manifold first also.like suggested
good luck, Francis

Dan if you guys had a welding shop. Why did you close it up.. NO work or
workers that did not know how to weld,,,or just did not show up for work, just wonder , because "Good" welding shops are hard to come by
Old 02-13-2007, 01:59:58 AM

Thanked 20,741 Times in 5,998 Posts

Francis..................on old, likely pretty well burned, iron like that about the only way is to gas weld it with cast iron. I seriously doubt any dissimilar metal will stick.
If you can't find anyone local.......... ............
Old 02-13-2007, 02:32:26 AM
Registered

I just didn't show up for work. Came into work on day and decided to get on the phone and purchase a plane ticket to Mexico for a vacation.When I came back my co-owners had decided that they didn't want to do it anymore. We just weren't that good at welding either. You know what I mean. Just an American dream that wasn't mean't to be.Chronic back pain I suffered after an accident had something to do with it to. But ya your right there guy on all that you said you know. No work, not GOOD at welding, not showing up....etc.etc.. Well you know the story. And somtimes your country calls you to more important issues. DAn
Old 02-21-2007, 07:19:59 AM
Registered

I have an idea that may be of help, I recently did this on an exhaust manifold for an old[no replacement part available]4 cylinder diesel. The area where the manifold bolted to the pipe was so deteriorated and the threaded holes so thin that you could read thru it, and nothing could be attached to it. What I wound up doing was to cut off the outlet side to where it was a little thicker, and keep a good measurment of the length and clock positions of the threaded holes, and I duplicated that onto a piece of stainless steel, and bored that so it fit over the end of the manifold that had been cut, and clean, clean, clean the manifold, and generously flux both the old and new pieces and then braze them together. The customer was very happy, and commented that the repair would probably outlast the origional part, and the stock exhaust pipe could still be used.
Mike