Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Quieting a Noisy Exhaust

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 3073 times

Old 09-02-2008, 04:19:13 PM
Registered

Default Quieting a Noisy Exhaust

Now that I have the Reid running, I would like to tame the shotgun like exhaust rap. Doug had suggested I cut down the air and gas to a minimum, which helped reduce the impulses, but when she barks, it loud. I can build a fiber packed stack... but would like to know what other adjustments can be done to quiet down this engine. Hot tube fired. Thanks for your help, Jim.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2008, 05:57:52 PM
Registered

Default Re: Quieting a Noisy Exhaust

Jim,
On my 15 reid, the exhuast is just a 4' - 5' ft piece of 3" straight pipe. and the engine will only bark when its getting too much fuel and air.
In fact, it will run for hours with a plastic coffey can over the exhaust pipe and it cant blow it off. cross my heart! I will video this and put it on YouTube this weekend.
First time I saw this done was a Portland 3 or 4 years ago, and it was a 15hp Bessemer. I could have swore it was rigged some how.

To run smooth and quiet the engine must fire every time! If it cycles a few times between fires, when it does fire it will be loud.

After you have it running, Shut the air off to about 10% or so. This will cause your engine to run rich.....Also start shutting the gas off. It really doesnt take much fuel at all to run at 40-60 RPM
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Doug Waggonner For This Post:
Old 09-02-2008, 06:30:13 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,083 Times in 474 Posts

And, if worst comes to worst, stick a Flowmaster on there

On www.jaylenosgarage.com there is a video of him running his 15 HP Fairbanks-Morse hoist. It quiets the engine down a LOT.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:45:40 PM
Registered

Woo- Hoo, you got it running! I used a diesel truck muffler on the Ajax. Made it much quieter

keithw
Old 09-02-2008, 08:26:19 PM
Registered

Keith, Yeah, I finally got the engine finished. When are you coming over to hear it BARK? Still need to finish the trailer so I can move it around. Forklift moves too slow to take it to shows that way. Are you ready to make another trip for me to the East? I have a couple of ideas I would like to share with you. Jim.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:21:05 PM
Registered

I'm taking the Ajax to Vista this October, the second weekend of the show. Tried to make it last year but there were too many fires down there. No plans for road trips east at the moment. Might have to make a weekend trip out to visit you.

keithw
Old 09-03-2008, 02:57:07 PM
Registered

Keith? Is Jim's Reid engine the one you had on your trailer when you came thru Oklahoma?
Old 09-03-2008, 05:34:32 PM
Registered

Doug,

Yes it is. Looking forward to seeing it running.

keithw
Old 09-04-2008, 01:44:58 PM
Registered

Doug, Keith was the man on that trip. He made a pretrip to scout out the engine loading logistics. Then the following Spring, he picked it up and hauled it out West with some other goodies he picked up along the way. The great thing is Keith stopped and took pictures of the engine in front of several of our national monuments; Cadillac Ranch, Winslow Ariz. and on top of Hoover Dam. I could not have gotten better service. Thanks again Keith and come over any time you want and we will scare the Hell out of the ground squirrels. Jim.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:14:01 AM
Registered

I have done a lot of experimenting to get my Reid quiet. I cannot do it by choking back the air-gas mix and slowing it down because I need the rpm and the horsepower, so I've been focussing on the other end.

The very first muffler I made was the best. I burried a 900 gallon fuel tank in the ground and let the engine bark into that. By the time it exhausted out a pipe about six feet tall, it had almost no puff left to it. Unfortunately, I goofed in a pretty critical way, because when winter hit, the system flooded, restricting my exhaust, and gave me all sorts of problems I couldn't explain at the time. I was forced to abandon the tank and try more conventional mufflers.

The next muffler I made was out of an 8" pipe about, oh, two feet long, with lots of smaller pipes exiting the top. I believed I needed a straight-through muffler in order to keep the back pressure to a minimum. (To get out of the engine house, the exhaust is already close to 20 feet long, so more resistance is not something I want.) This silly muffler actually made a more obnoxious noise than just a straight pipe.

The next thing I tried was to take a 3" pipe about 6' long and cut increasingly larger notches up its length, venting out the side. My idea was to break up the pulse into the atmosphere. This didn't do much either, and after about ten minutes the Reid blew the thing off onto my roof with a bang.

Another thing I tried was to exhaust the 3" pipe into an 8" pipe six feet long left open at the bottom. This was intended to work like a ventury and pull the atmosphere into the bottom of the pipe to reduce the pulse. A fellow told me about an exhaust system made like this on a stationary steam engine running a sawmill. He said it was just as quite as could be. Apparently steam engines breathe a little differently than Reids, because it did absolutely nothing to make my engine quiter.

What I'm running with now (and I think Mr. Burns suggested it to me) is simply a 3" pipe with its end cut at an angle about 3 feet long. It is a definate improvement, though I'd like to find something better.

I think it is interesting that this engine makes a fraction of the noise on gasoline as it does on propane, which I can't explain, and the exhaust is hotter on propane too. However, the neighbors two miles away can still hear it. Hot tube vs spark doesn't seem to make any difference in noise for me.

Oh, I should mention the very first exhaust I put up. I thought I'd be smart and buy a light pole since it'd be pretty and tapered and all that. There were several at an auction that went cheap, and I thought it'd be just perfect, complete with a mounting base. The thing was about 8" round at its base and 4" at the outlet 24 feet up. However, when the engine blew into this, the gases at the 8" bottom end were forced out the top with increasing velocity as the diameter got smaller. When it hit the atmosphere, the amplification from this ecceleration was unbeleivable. Talk about LOUD! I could literally feel the thing in my chest with every pulse 1/4 mile away! I am sure it was heard for a good five miles or more.

I intend to keep experimenting with different muffler designs. One thing that is important, in my aplication at least, is to keep the restriction and back pressure down. As soon as the muffler affects the timing, I back off, because that means the gasses are not escaping the engine, and it's setting things up for damaging things inside the engine (like my main valve I mentioned in your other post).

It's been my experience that a Reid is a whole lot easier to make noiser than it is to make quieter. Please keep us all posted on your progress.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joel Sanderson For This Post:
Old 09-07-2008, 11:33:51 AM
Registered

Talking Re: Quieting a Noisy Exhaust

An old timer of my acquaintance had a setup that will very likely do you no good at all.
He dug a trench starting under the exhaust pipe connection and ran it out under the edge of the power house and about 20 foot or so on a down grade. (Hill country. Every direction is down hill.) He installed a length of drain culvert, I think about 12 inch or so, and ran his exhaust into that. Filled in the ditch of course after he installed the culvert and ran the exhaust into it. I think he ran the exhaust pipe three or four feet into the culvert. Made more of a muffled KCHUNGG than a good laboring CRACK.
At home we just ran our stack through a hole murdered in the tin roof. Exhaust pipes we used in the oil field was about six or eight inch diameter and depending on the height of your roof, anywhere from ten to fifteen feet long.
The Acme engines we ran exhausted out about a three inch pipe, but they had two exhaust pipes: one was a cracker, where the main force of the exhaust departed the cylinder through a port, the other was the actual exhaust, as the Reid is a two cycle and the Acme, a four.
We generally ran the Acme exhaust out the side of the building a little above head height and it was great fun to put a coffee can over the cracker pipe and blow it twenty feet or so when she fired.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sky Pilot For This Post:
Old 09-11-2008, 08:50:42 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will do a bit of experimenting also and if I come across something quieter than a 12 guage, I will let you know. Jim.