Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Shows and Swap Meets > Brooks Oregon
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Brooks Oregon Antique Powerland hosting The Great Oregon Steam-Up and the Early Day Gas Engines & Tractors Association Swap Meet

Brooks Oregon

Great Oregon Steam Up 2012

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 5458 times

Old 07-24-2012, 04:42:53 AM
Subscriber

Default Great Oregon Steam Up 2012

For those not familiar with the show, you will not be disappointed. I was like a little kid at the 2011 show. Hundreds of gas and diesel tractors participate in the daily parade, many are one of a kind. A live steam sawmill running daily draws a standing room only crowd. The train museum even demos a rail mounted steam crane each afternoon. I lost count of how many engines were running in the display area.

The swapmeet is pretty fair size, though not as massive as some of the midwest and eastern shows, plenty of good buys are still to be had. You can even take a ride on the onsite trolly. The show is held at Antique Powerland, a site wholly dedicated to all things machinery.

There is so much more, but if I tell you all of it, it will spoil the suprise. Hope to see you there!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toesmack For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2012, 03:28:19 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Great Oregon Steam Up

This truly is a great show and access is really easy. Just take the Brooks exit off I-5 south of Portland, Or and go west less than a mile. Lots of motels and eateries within a few miles each way on I-5. One of the spots to have a bite is the Donald Cafe in Donald just a few miles north. Take the Aroura/Donald exit and go west a couple of miles. Good food always.

I'm going to miss the show this year and really hate doing so.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Tencubed For This Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 12:38:35 PM
Subscriber

Now that it has been a month and a half sense the brooks show and swap meet I would like too here what everyone thought of the show and the swap meet. I attended it and had not been there sense the 1995 National show. They Now have a great Museum buildings and are still working on some new buildings! The Engine show was ok,but seemly small for big show that everyone always says is so big? The swap meet was small and was more of flea market with a lot of Junk? Very little engine and tractors items? Also this year they raised the space cost too $50.00. Last year it was $30.00. Most bigger vendors had too buy two or more spaces becuase the spaces were small? Also they asked everyone if they were planing on sleeping with their space? If you said yes they were charging $12.00 a night? I had never heard of this before at a Show and swap meet. Lots of the venders said they would not be back the next week and also next year? I myself would never waist my time and money going to Brooks ever again. Just my two sense worth.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:05:52 PM
Registered-I

I too was disappointed with the turn out. Maybe the old timers just don't want to show their engines anymore? I will not go again.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:44:45 AM
Subscriber

A real shame you guys were disappointed. I only got to spend 1 day there and next year plan to spend several days. Yes, the swap was down, possible that added cost contributed to that.

I do about 20 car and tractor swaps a year, and the show at Brooks is BY FAR the cheapest of all. $50 for a 20x20 space is CHEAP! I normally pay $110 to $130 for that amount of space, and as much as $500 for the same square footage at several shows each year.

I wish we had as many shows in the western states as our Stakkers in the midwest and eastern states. Fact is we don't. I would rather help promote the few shows we have instead of writing them off so easily. Besides, always better than staying home.

Very much looking forward to spending more time there next year.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:41:18 AM
Registered-I

Hope to make the Brooks show this year. I assume it is a lot bigger than our fun little show at Pottsville on Father's Day weekend?
Old 05-05-2013, 12:04:41 PM
Registered-III

For a Swap Meet come to the Early Day Gas Engine & Tractor Association Branch 15 Swap Meet in June.

http://branch15.homestead.com/Branch-15-Swap-Meet.html

Hope to see out there.

http://www.antiquepowerland.com/html/steam-up.html

Jay
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Simpleman62 For This Post:
Old 05-06-2013, 02:05:01 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbo.aermotor View Post
Now that it has been a month and a half sense the brooks show and swap meet I would like too here what everyone thought of the show and the swap meet. I attended it and had not been there sense the 1995 National show. They Now have a great Museum buildings and are still working on some new buildings! The Engine show was ok,but seemly small for big show that everyone always says is so big? The swap meet was small and was more of flea market with a lot of Junk? Very little engine and tractors items? Also this year they raised the space cost too $50.00. Last year it was $30.00. Most bigger vendors had too buy two or more spaces becuase the spaces were small? Also they asked everyone if they were planing on sleeping with their space? If you said yes they were charging $12.00 a night? I had never heard of this before at a Show and swap meet. Lots of the venders said they would not be back the next week and also next year? I myself would never waist my time and money going to Brooks ever again. Just my two sense worth.
jbo;
Is there a show or swap meet that meets your aproval, it seems as though every show or swap you go to isn't up to your standards.
The best thing is stay at home and not make it out as all shows arn't worth going to.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to James L Johnson For This Post:
Old 05-08-2013, 04:19:18 PM
Subscriber

James,
Yes,
The national Show in 2010. They did not orver charge Exibiters like most of the shows now do! You said it. It is not worth it to drive 700 miles to small engine show like Brooks. THE NATIONAL IN 1995 WAS THE BEST SHOW THEY EVER HAD! HAVE YOU EVER GONE TO A SHOW OUTSIDE OF THE OR?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:05:24 PM
Registered-III

jbo:
I was at the Nationals in 2010 to and it was a very nice event. I have also been to a couple other show's too many places to list, but Ill throw a few out Cool Springs, Rollag, Lesure, Baraboo etc. Do I need more?
I too think many shows charge everyone tooo much, some i can deal with some I can't and those few I can't deal with I just don't go to and don't support.

Have a nice day.
mrnewway
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James L Johnson For This Post: