Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Shows and Swap Meets > Coolspring Pennsylvania
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Coolspring Pennsylvania The Coolspring Power Museum contains the largest collection of historically significant, early stationary gas engines in the country, if the not the world. Visit Coolspring, Pennsylvania for the Summer and Fall Expo and Swap Meet!

Coolspring Pennsylvania

Coolspring Museum

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2794 times

Old 04-04-2005, 12:41:59 PM
Registered-III

Default Coolspring Museum

On the Coolspring site there is a list of dates that the museum is "open with running exhibits." Is the museum open to the public on these days? How much is actually running? Is it worth drive(about 2 hours)? How much does it cost to get in on these days? My friend and I were looking for something to do and I thought it might be fun to go there as he doesn't know much about engines and I figured it might be a good learning experience for him.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2005, 11:40:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,921 Times in 196 Posts
Default Re: Coolspring

Yes, the museum is open to the public. There is no charge,but donations are gladly accepted. After all the museum relies on donations to keep it up and running. The open weekends are also work weekends, so sometimes there is not that many engines running. It all depends on how much help shows up. But even with few engines running it is still an impressive collection to see. And in my opinion,worth a 2 hour drive to see. And a good excuse to come back in June for the show.
This years feature engine will be Fairbanks Morse.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:29:24 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,042 Times in 590 Posts

Mike, it would easily be worth the drive just to see the stuff if it were a 10 hour drive. That's why I do it twice a year!!! You'll love it
Old 04-06-2005, 09:58:11 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,082 Times in 496 Posts

Besides the museum, another reason to go to coolspring is that was one of the few shows where you might pickup a rare engine or hard to find parts. Now, you have to take a weeks vacation and arrive on tuesday becasue the show really runs tues to friday and by saturday anything for sale is long gone unless is over priced or getting resold for the 3rd time. A lot of people leave friday, since they are pretty well seen all and done all after 3 days. So you think you are going to meet old friends or get a magneto fixed and they all gone. If your rich, retired, single or unemployed then your in luck. For me, i'm waiting until people begin to show up the saturday the week before the offical show start and then I'll return.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:50:23 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Coolspring Museum

I hope to see Coolspring, some day, but will have to fly across the whole USA to do it. In order to get the most of such a trip, it sounds as if I should arrive in the vicinity on Monday and be there on Tuesday, right? Is there any other useful advice out there?

Is the Otto-Langen engine ever run at show time?

Regards,

Orrin
Old 04-07-2005, 03:06:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,058 Times in 273 Posts
Default Re: Coolspring Museum

They dont have a Otto Langen that is at Kinzers. They do have 3 slidevalve Ottos. Keven