Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

SLOW Web Pages

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2097 times

Old 03-04-2016, 05:46:20 PM
Administrator

Thanked 11,570 Times in 1,994 Posts
Default SLOW Web Pages

Just adding a note here about my recent SLOW (like dial-up) response from the internet on my computer. I was concerned that it might be the Smokstak server and I entered a ticket with my server support crew. They thought I was nuts and suggested that I download a test script that would provide timing results.

It had been doing this for the past two or three evenings. Calling Comcast Xfinity is a circus because you are speaking to a crew in the Philippines whose sole purpose in life is to correct YOUR problem and NOT Comcast's problem.

Well, today, my computer was running like a scared rabbit! Since many web sites were previously involved, it had to be on Comcast and I had been very close to opening an account on Verizon FIOS.

I called Comcast today and lodged a stiff complaint. They will respond with a technician sometime on March 10th. The Xfinity Speed Test today shows a 12ms ping and 12.03 Mbps download speed. Last night it was 6Mbps.

Wonderful service! NOT!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2016, 06:26:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,120 Times in 2,089 Posts
Default Re: SLOW Web Pages

^ Don't hold your breath!

I had a problem with ATT Uverse a while back and their help staff in Guyana swore it was on my end. A few more calls and I got someone in the USA. Ping the line, reset my account etc., and said it was all good. Nope. Called the same guy back and he did some re routing and now I have joy.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:18:09 PM
Subscriber

Harry , I hear ya , I have Comcast Xfinity, and boy talk about problems ! 2 new modem boxes , new lines from out side to in house , still slow , stops, reboot a couple of times and it was MY stuff that was wrong ! Never had a problem with the old company , But Wife wanted a change !! Will go back in a year after this contract expires, no help from over seas or down south
Wayne
Old 03-04-2016, 10:18:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,543 Posts

I once worked out of "a building*" where the middle internet backbone was -no joke- only ten vertical feet directly beneath my chair. Massive bundles of fiber optic cable all ran into this -as I recall- 30x30 foot room filled with row after row of switchers and routers. It was from this room that AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, Comcast et al. received their feeds from for distribution to most of the state. Feed to my workstation? Molasses in January! I was sorely temped to get out a long masonry drill, but I resisted because such was probably a quartering offense.
Doc

* It is probably best that specifics of exactly which building in which location are left unstated. A lot of wackos out there best left uninformed.