Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Internet Provider

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1372 times

Old 05-18-2016, 09:27:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 14,480 Times in 6,835 Posts
Default Internet Provider

I am using Netzero as my internet provider. Trouble is the price keeps going up and the service is turning to crap.At this time my email is locked up. Any ideas for a better service.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2016, 09:31:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,895 Times in 1,440 Posts
Default Re: Internet provider.

My internet provider is windstream alias windsucks it is terrible like you Billy my bill keeps going up .
Old 05-18-2016, 09:54:57 PM

Thanked 19,791 Times in 5,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy J Shafer View Post
At this time my email is locked up.
Locked up how?.......
You can access your email from any computer on the planet which goes for ALL email.
In your case it's webmail.netzero.net

Typing "webmail" dot "provider" dot "com", "net" or whatever will take you to the login page or provider's page with a mail link.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:35:18 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,283 Times in 559 Posts

I just setup Internet for my 79 year old aunt two weeks ago. Company was called United Wireless (may only serve western Kansas). One small box to plug into a wall outlet for power. Signal comes from 4G cell tower and rebroadcast by wifi inside the house. All in one small book size device. Speed seemed OK, advertised at 10mb up and download, 5gb limit, for $29 per month. She and I are both pleased with this service and a lot of rural neighbors have it. She left Juno dialup because email with attachments would lock up her connection too. Juno and NetZero seem to be the same company.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DustyBar For This Post:
Old 05-19-2016, 01:00:44 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,684 Times in 4,253 Posts
Default Re: Internet provider

We have an all in one internet providor on an 5 years contract.

Means TV, Internet and linephone all together for one price.

Do not have to complane about them.
They send me letters when the internet is getting faster and new tv Chanels coming up.

Only last year some boaring school boys have been pulled out of the air.
An coople months later they where all arrested

Same with the energy.
Electricity and gas also one providor on the bussines company name with an 5 years contract.
They can do it much cheaper then normal.

Like to do all very cheap so can use the mony for hobby things
Old 05-19-2016, 09:24:54 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 14,480 Times in 6,835 Posts
Default Re: Internet Provider

I am a computer idiot so bear with me.

It is not windsucks that keeps raising the price. It is Netzero. Wanting to know about switching to MSN,Yahoo or who ever would be the best.

I can log on to my email. Everything comes up but my email.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:18:27 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,485 Posts

I never had any luck getting webmail after the company changed their website a few years ago.
If Windscream stops the dial up I sure will not be going to their "hi" speed. We had so much trouble with it at the fire station we went with the cable tv company. And we sold Windstream the land the big box is on that the internet comes from,"slick 96" I think it was called? Any way, you could throw the computer from the office window and hit the box. and it was so slow dial up actually was faster.
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 05-19-2016, 10:19:59 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,895 Times in 1,440 Posts

Billy for my email I use Mozilla Thunderbird it is free download application if you could type in the above name and it should bring up the free download I had another person do this for me I am not good at doing these things maybe another Stack member uses thunderbird it is a big blue bird carrying a letter in it,s wings .good luck
Billy I just typed in Mozilla Thunderbird download and it came up .
The Following User Says Thank You to Onan Dan For This Post:
Old 05-19-2016, 10:59:08 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,109 Times in 2,083 Posts

I'm on ATT Uverse which provides TV, home phone and internet. It's a fiber optic network with good speeds. Decent performance and service I might add.

But being large and in charge, they randomly jack their prices. Recently my bill went from $130 to $200/month. Why? Because they can.
I can't justify that amount of cash and downgraded the cable portion netting a $150/month charge. Still not pleased so I'm looking for a change but the other providers will simply jack their prices to match ATT.

*Here's a little tip only if you have a wireless connection to your pooter at home that may speed things up. If you're cable connected to your modem it's of no use. Click on the wireless connection icon usually on the lower right of the screen in the task bar. Then click on the support tab. Then click the repair button. This refreshes the connection and clears the cache of data that sometimes can slow things down.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 05-19-2016, 01:43:45 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 4,985 Times in 2,615 Posts

We recently changed over to Whisper. The old ATT setup charged for all air time and if you went over you allotted time the cost were unreal! After a few $300. plus bills we were going to shut down and forget it. Then a temporary advertising sign showed up in the area offering reasonable unlimited service. We called and seems they set up a dish on a local cell tower and if you have unobstructed line of view you can receive. Been good wireless service except in severe storm it gets a bit tempermental. $45.00 per month. Ended up having to get a more capable lap top to handle the extra speed. Ain't competition wonderful !